Cylinder Problem?

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Cylinder Problem?

Post by jc7622 »

My '05 200 has been running bad the last couple rides - less power, reluctance to idle. I checked the compression and it was 120, so I took it apart tonight. On the top edge of the exhaust port there is an area about 2mm tall al the way across the top of the port that seems to have the Nikasil coating gone. It appears to be worn away. The worn area is the color of the aluminum cylinder underneath (not the dark gray of the coating). I can also definately feel it with my finger.

Does this cylinder need to be recoated? If so, what are my options? Does RB do this?
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I would think that any plating missing above the ports would need to be replated.

Others could probably chime in about the best place to send your cylinder. Good luck.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

replate...heard best stories from langcourt customers

http://www.langcourt.com
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Has anyone heard of millenium technologies? They re-plate and also have an exchange program (if they have your make in stock).

http://www.mt-llc.com/index.html
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have heard of them..and it was good..but I don't remember from whom and when/how/what/why.

Now...isn't that helpful!!??

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

So far the best referrals have been to use Langcourt and Millenium. The most common NEGATIVE referral was with US Chrome, so I will definately stay away from them.

Millenium has a cylinder exchange program if they have your type in stock. Their website said they have about 2000 re-plated cylinders on hand, 200 of those being dirt bike cylinders. I'll know the scoop Monday morning and let you know how it turns out.

My engine is apart and ready to ship. There was also wear on the bottom edge of the exhaust port and on the edges of a couple other small side ports.

Maybe I should go ahead and send my head and carb to RB at the same time.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

pics?
+1 on the rb
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

jc, you will be mighty pleased with what Ron Black does with your carb and head.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Searching around the net and other boards it seems the three most liked platers are:

PowerSeal
Langcourt
Millenium Technologies

Hopefully MT will have a KDX cylinder that I can exchange. If not I will probably use whichever of these can turn it around the fastest.

The US Chrome mentions were some bad and some good. Not good odds. With my luck I would get a bad one.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think the problem with US CHROME is that they think it should only take so much of a vaporized rod and they stop there or they are getting in a hurry and have the heat settings wrong and it splatters the material instread of having a nice controlled burn.

If it doesn't do the job the first time they say it's a porous jug. Screw them... that's not quality regardless of what they THINK! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I wound up going with PowerSeal. The guy I talked to is a 200 rider (KTM200, but atleast he's a dirt biker). They said right now their turn around is about 6 days. They have an expidited service for an extra $70 that would have had it done in 3 days. I decided to save my money and apply it towards the RB head mod. PowerSeal is really popular on KTMTalk. They said I could send a piston or not send one. If a piston is not sent they finish the bore size to OEM specs. Hope it works out. I told them I would be using a standard Wiseco piston. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I almost went with Millenium. They were very friendly and helpful also.