Kawasaki kips part mix up

Got questions? We got answers....
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Kawasaki kips part mix up

Post by marrk_us »

Just finished a make over on a kdx220 for a friend. She bought the bike on ebay from someone in Indiana. Once she tried it we decided on a few improvements, fmf pipe, lowering link, kx forks, fresh top end with kips inspection and cleaning and new linkage, steering, wheel bearings all around, and fresh powder coating.

When we tore it down we found a 'maintenance free zone', the kips assy was completely carboned up and most the parts were trash. All new parts were ordered including the kips exhaust valve collars, they weren't really needed but after spending that much what was $10 more for 100% new??
With new piston and rings installed while installing the cylinder head we noticed the kips no longer moved freely. We took the head back off and things freed right up??? What we found is that the collars the dealer gave us were 1mm taller than the one's that came out, also they didn't have the machined groove in the center as the originals had. Checked the packaging, the part numbers were correct for the 220. 200's have a different number but the numbers were definitely for the 220 on both packages. Luckily I had a good head on the shelf for a future hybrid and the collars were in great shape, so we continued on, got it bolted together and tested the next day.

On the left a stock 220 collar, on the right one of the mismarked parts from the dealer. They reordered and still received the same collars which were too long, so be careful when replacing kips parts. Would have been really ticked off to spend that much, not noticed and possibly ruined more parts.

Finished! The links lowered it to where she feels very comfortable with it, and she loves the kx forks. The green swingarm and kickstand were not my idea, the powdercoaters had an off day and offered to redo them for free, but my friend saw it and 'loved' it, women, go figure!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

good catch. It's weird cuz my 05 200 has the one with grooves too.
Bike looks sweet but is it just the pic or does the front end look like it's pointing up?
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(Bike looks sweet but is it just the pic or does the front end look like it's pointing up?)

You're right, after the pic was taken we got her on the bike, set the sag and slid the forks up to level everything to balance the lower rear. Forgot to mention we had Jeff Slavens rework the shock and the forks which were from a kx frame i used for my first hybrid.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'It's weird cuz my 05 200 has the one with grooves too.'

I haven't seen OEM subport drum collars for a 220..but the 200 collars do have grooves in them, so it's not weird.

For an 'H' model (200):
92143 92143-1694 COLLAR,6X15X17.2

For an 'A' model (220):
92143 92143-1725 COLLAR

Nice of them to NOT have a spec of the 220 collar, 'eh?

Point is, they are NOT the same part number, so presumeably they are not the same part.

But...I can tell by looking at the diagram @ RonAyers that the two are indeed exactly the same part!!! Below is from the 'A' model:

See! They are exactly the same as the 'H' model!!

:roll:

I say...Thass'a joke, son. Obviously the appearance of the diagram means nothing. It's merely a point of reference assembly-wise.

I'd like to hear from another 220 owner that's run into this..or has input as to their collar configuration. How about some measurements? And...you didn't say if the collars you used were or were NOT like one collar or the other you pictured! That's rather pertinent and of note. What was the difference?...or sameness? What was the part number supplied by the dealer?

There are other reasons the KIPS may not have been free...even if the collars were correct. This starting out as an ebay-job...who knows what's been done to it. Someone could've put 'H' collars in an 'A' cylinder.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Maybe they need the 220 supplement :lol:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

:supz:
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(And...you didn't say if the collars you used were or were NOT like one collar or the other you pictured! That's rather pertinent and of note. What was the difference?...or sameness? What was the part number supplied by the dealer? )

Sorry, the shorter collar on the left is one of the one's we ended up using. They are from a 220 head I had on my self, they are the same as what came from the engine, minus the carbon. The one on the right is one of the pair kawasaki sent us, part number 92143-1725 which were suppose to fit the 220 but were just long enough to put pressure on the valve assy with the head installed to keep them from moving. Installed the one on the right was just above the top of the cylinder, one on the left just below. You really had to get at eye level to spot it. The left one was 1mm shorter than the ones they sent us. I looked at different suppliers sites but couldn't find one that listed the measurements for the 220's, only the 200's. I had the measurements of the parts wrote down while comparing them but have since misplaced or tossed them and have returned the longer one's to the dealer.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the info!

Obviously, the collars are NOT supposed to be above the cylinder surface..'cuz there is NO corresponding recess in the HEAD to accept it.

Good thing you didn't break something using the longer collars.

There IS a recess in the head to accept the drum valve, but not the collar. A btw by the way...I got a cylinder from FRP that had the protruding stem of the RH subport drum either cut off or broken off. I questioned the condition of the assy, having paid for a KIPS valve to 'come with'. Fredette said it wasn't an issue.

I don't know why the things are engineered like that in the first place. The collar provides the upper support for the drum..and having disparate support surfaces (one in the cylinder, one in the head) does seem problematic.

Anyway.........

I suppose MaKaw willl never get around to admitting they screwed up. Kin'da like the whole OEM 220 piston thing. That's not a problem, either!

Thanks again!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!