How to replace a KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:I think a ktm 400 would be great but they tend to be one of the rare bikes than people either don't buy or don't sell around here because i've rarely seen one for sale.

+1 for the tuning my suspension remark. I know it aint right yet and have recently discovered that my shock spring is 5mm shorter than spec, meaning it has to be changed. It probably would have been a good idea to change it anyway because it's the stock spring and i'm at 185ish without riding gear. I have only taken 2 shims out of the base valve of my kx forks and am waiting to get used to them before doing any further tweaking.

My real problem with tweaking is that I seem to have a terrible feel for changes. I realy can't tell the difference even after drastic changes.

Keep in mind that I don't necesarily want to get rid of the KDX but my budget doesn't realy think two bikes is a good idea so i'm looking at a one size fits all kind of bike...just in case. Not to mention that my shed is already kind of cramed as it is so a second bike would require a new garage.
+100 for the hybrid. My CRX weighs in at 230 gassed and watered with cr250 forks. If I had more money I would send off the suspension for some valving and spring work to match my weight and riding area, but I don't so I tune to the best of my ability. All I can say is it is a world of difference from the 94. If you are planning to visit Cali some time (on the off chance) let me know and I'll let you take it out for a spin. Other thing is you keep your KDX motor and with a clark tank you can keep the range as well. And you get mx suspension all around. Hybrids aren't hard to do, the cr really only required someone to weld in the front motor mounts. I had the weld the pipe because it is the older style pipe that doesn't fit the mx frame like the new ones do. Otherwise there is very little lathe work, a little file work and a fun bike in the end.
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Our riding season are much shorter here than in california and this year i will be gone from dec to juin. So no time to fix the bike for the next season wich will already be startin a month late for me. Plus my shed is too small to start a hybrid project, I was already steping on my own feet when I did the fork swap. I might be moving when I get back this summer and a garage is definatly criteria for a new house and then the hybrid would probably begin. I've already started looking at parts on the auction site.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
plb

Post by plb »

The cost of changing the bike is so much higher thant the cost of a riding school.

Before change everything, check how you can change your riding skill.

A better bike is just a crutch to erase a lack of technic.

I'm not a Pro rider, but I improve my riding skill so much in 2007 with an Enduro School for only 90$ a day. I think I gain speed and confidance more during this day than putting so much mods on my bike (or change it!).
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Another note concerning USD fork conversion.....You can only expect improvement to the year of the forks....In this case don't expect it to be any better than a '97, and I doubt when you're shopping for a KDX replacement you're considering anything that old...

That being said my WR250 is 93-95 YZ KYB stuff, and is rock solid at speed. Improvements have been made since then, but mostly to add plushness at slow speed while maintaining high speed stability. This thing is made to go 85 through the desert. I have a plush set of forks/shock for it, and they are great in the woods, but high speed stability has been greatly comprimised. I would really look into tuning your suspension. What do you mean by 'fighting?'

KTM 400 is a nice bike, but never will be as reliable as a KDX. The 'new style / racing' 4-strokes are getting better every year, and I would only consider the newest design which puts me 5-10 years out from owning one...LOL. XR/DRZ 400's are 'old style' heavy, but extremely reliable ones. XR400 won't have that 'gutless off the bottom' of the DRZ. They are GREAT off the bottom, but the forks are out-dated....That has never kept an old friend of mine with what must be 50,000miles on his from being able to completely dust me no matter what bike I've been on. (read what PLB said) :oops:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

This article may help with your suspension tuning, it helped me.

http://www.rocket-city-racing.com/tips.html
Dewey
02 -KDX220
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

>|<>QBB<
plb wrote:The cost of changing the bike is so much higher thant the cost of a riding school.

Before change everything, check how you can change your riding skill.

A better bike is just a crutch to erase a lack of technic.

I'm not a Pro rider, but I improve my riding skill so much in 2007 with an Enduro School for only 90$ a day. I think I gain speed and confidance more during this day than putting so much mods on my bike (or change it!).
Yes I agree, there once was a club that offered such service but no longer does :razz:

PLB is part of the council of a riders club here in quebec. They are working very hard to be able to keep the privilage we have of riding our bikes. Not to mention they are mostly the ones responsible for having the quads let us ride their trails. PLB as well as kdxquebec(who is also part of the council) are very dedicated to keeping this sport alive and although their work often goes unoticed by most it is definatly well apriciated by everyone.

:bravo:
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
plb

Post by plb »

Yes I agree, there once was a club that offered such service but no longer does
Yeah, but you can go to Closed Area like MX-Tracks and learn during a school or private lessons.

Maybe my «gift from me to me» in 2009.

The year 2008 was the RB-Designs, KX forks and WER and 2009 will be a school I think.
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

Here is my 2cents, I had a 2000 KTM 300exc that at high speed on fire roads big gravel and such was very unerving. The steering was twitchy and unstable. So I put a Scott Steering Stabilizer on it and the issue went away, I felt much more comfortable blasting down the roads. I've since mounted the stabilizer on my KDX but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. You may want to consider puting a Stabilizer on your KDX. Does anyone else on this site have experience with that? This might just be the solution to your problem :lol:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A Scotts does improve the KDX at all speeds in my opinion. Mine on deep gravel at 65+mph used to be flat terrifying. With the Scotts, it's just merely scary.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

+1 for the Scotts

It will never loss it's value, it's tranferable to any bike plus if it saves one trip to the hospital.... it has paid for itself! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Good point. I got mine after I was deflected in to a car-sized boulder at about 40 mph. That broke 2 ribs in my back. Trying to sleep like that for 6 weeks made the cost of the damper seem like a bargain. Sneezing made it seem like triple the cost would be worth it. :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
plb

Post by plb »

And what about a WER?

I bought one 2 months ago used on Ebay but I think I will just put on my bike next year... Not have a lot of time this year and I dislike try something new during a race.

I know, it's not a Scotts and I remember read here that he is better with 20w oil and not the 5w stock.

Other comments?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Way better than nothing, but no where near as good as a scotts. Search WER on here, and you'll find some tips and tricks.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:+1 for the Scotts

It will never loss it's value, it's tranferable to any bike plus if it saves one trip to the hospital.... it has paid for itself! :supz:

Is a steering damper of any help in 1st and 2nd gear technical stuff, hill climbs or river crossings with large rocks (basketball size)? We run ultra low tire pressure around here (6 psi front, 4 psi rear) so I'm thinking it'll be squirly on the faster stuff regardless. Thanks for any input!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I don't have a Scott's or a WER and had the high speed wobble until
I opened the compression valves a couple clicks and they problem was resolved.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
rdsrf wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:+1 for the Scotts

Is a steering damper of any help in 1st and 2nd gear technical stuff, hill climbs or river crossings with large rocks (basketball size)? We run ultra low tire pressure around here (6 psi front, 4 psi rear) so I'm thinking it'll be squirly on the faster stuff regardless. Thanks for any input!
It is always working to help with deflection ... so sure! It helps...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Duke

Post by Duke »

My Scotts stabilizer has saved me from harms way on several occassions, especially when I go ripping along the faster, boulder strewn fire roads. Sand washes are easier to traverse too. Its one of the biggest bargains out there