How to replace a KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
muddertrucker

How to replace a KDX

Post by muddertrucker »

I just did a 150 km (about 90 miles for the non-metric folks)ride on the KDX. The terrain varied quite a bit from long (8km) gravel road to slower rocky trails. None of these where very tight and twisty but mainly 4 th gear stuff. I could have gone faster in some parts but find myself fighting twith the bike at high speeds. This was a linear trail 75 km there and 75 km back and had sit down alot more on the way back because I was just to beat to stay standing.

We have a very extensive trail system in quebec but the problem is that it's built for quads, that have just recently let bikes into their trails. These trails are not what I would usualy ride because I like the tighter twisty trails that require no higher than 3rd gear. But ounce in a wille a long drive is fun and I plan on doing it more often.

This is where your guy's help will come in. If I can I'll keep the KDX but if not I need to find a bike that can handle the tight trails as good or better than the KDX but can't also handle the long fast runs without beating the hell out of me.

To run these trails you need a headlight and rear marker light and if your bike is a 98 or latter you need a brake light speedometer/GPS and a mirror.

I'm leaning towards a four stroke because of fuel economy but am not sure if a 250 will be enough and I think a 450 will be too big for the tight stuff not to mention the reported cost of maintenance.

I would go with a 250 2 stroke but the japenese bikes don't have the lights required and the KTM's are more expensive than i'd like.

The real problem is I have never ridden anything but a KDX and have no idea how it compares to other bike. On paper andfrom what i've heard an xr 400 would do the job but I would have to keep the KDX for the tighter more fun trails.

Thanks for the help.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

If your lookin to buy new, i'd say a KLX450R. Or, if you want to keep smokin, you could get an early 2000's KTM 250 or 300 EXC for pretty cheap. Don't get an MXC for the type of riding your looking at because they have closer gear ratios that are more suited for a mix of MX and tighter trails. (They also don't come with a headlight)
Hi my name is Russell, and its nice to meet you!
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I tried my friends 2000 ktm 300 and it would be great for the long runs but it vibrates like crazy and doesn't turn nearly as tight as the kdx. A 250 with a larger tank might do the trick but i'd still have to carry oil with me to mix at the gas station. Yeah the trails go though towns so you can fuel up along the ride. :mrgreen:
Gallery!
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Muddertucker,

Last month, I made the tough decision to sell my 03 220 and now own an '08 KTM250 XCW(e). I think of it as what could have been a modern KDX... if Kawa only had a little bit more vision. Like the KDX, the XCWs are also 2 smoke torque monsters made for tight trails. Yet, they have unsurpassed suspension and MUCH lower center of gravity. I only wish it was green. Unfortunately, the Japs don't make anything comparable. Of course, there are the Gas Gas, Husaberg... but too exotics and even more expensive.

I also live in Québec and was able to find an XCW 08 model for $1K under MSRP. Good luck with your decision, I know how hard it can be to mature to orange.
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Either the WR250F or CRF250X would be a good, well suspended bike, both are fairly good and stable on faster trails yet can carve the single-track. Beware of used 04 and 05 CRF250X's due to short-lived valves (I owned one). Any 450 is a handful in tight single track and is too tiring for most folks.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Time for a hybrid! Get that MX suspension with a KDX motor. Yours is new enough that putting it in a 2003 kx125 frame shouldn't be too bad. Depending on the deal, you are out about 1000.00 for the roller and the work needed to get it setup for the kdx motor. Less if you do some of the work yourself, and you can part out the kdx. You will need a new headlight probably, but those are only about 50-80.00.

Another option is to get an MX bike and put a lighting coil in along with a flywheel weight. Smooth out the power and get the headlight that you need. Brake lights are easy, just need a pressure activated switch for the rear brake and a few feet of wire and simple enduro tail light. Cost about 4-500 above the cost of the bike, but it is an easy and cheap way to get into a lit mx bike compared to buying a newer KTM or 4-stroke.
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

husky wr 250 - 2-stoke,lights,taggable(DOT),comes stock w/ spark arrestor,wide ratio 6-speed and a lot less than a KTM !!!!!! :wink:
JUST RIDE !!!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The XR400 would be fine for the longer stuff. Definately bulletproof and the suspension is good for that application. Cheap, too!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

How about a DRZ? 4 strokes but bullet proof engine wise, good suspension, street legal, fairly cheap. A bit on the heavy side for tight track but for fire road and such, could be a great alternative. (you'd proly want to replace or modify the "2x4 seat" if you're gonna sit most of the time :wink:
plb

Post by plb »

I disagree with you. Motthertruck has a KX front fork and a very cool 2strokes motor.

XR400? It's a recreative-fun bike, but nothing similar wih a KDX-KX.

KTM250 2strokes = too much vibration for long recrative ride

To upgrade on a motocross250 2s, maybe a IMS/Clarke tank to have extra gas on a MX bike, but at the end, you will have less than a KDX gas tank stock...

4 strokes 450 = $$$$ and maybe too big for you and tight trails.

So, I don't know what to said...
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

About a DRZ400s (the street model) - I had one for a couple of yeqrs, they are an absolute pig to ride off-road unless you are built like Conan the Barbarian. The engine is soft off the bottom so it's hard to wheelie over anything, the suspension is too soft, the braking is marginal, the bike weighs 335 lbs with fuel and it carries that weight high. It is not a fun bike IMO, but yes, it IS bulletproof :mrgreen: .
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"they are an absolute pig to ride off-road unless you are built like Conan the Barbarian"
You mean you're not? :lol:

"they are an absolute pig to ride off-road "
"engine is soft off the bottom "

I agree but, you can still find moded DRZ (upgraded FCR carb, yosh pipe, big bore... ) that does a lot for the weak bottom end.
As for the weight issue, converting to a kick start would save a lot, or... go to the gym! :mrgreen:
Suspension, it's like every bike you'd have to tune it to your liking.

If it was me I'd try a hybrid.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

What exactly is the KDX lacking? Pointing that out might help point you somewhere...

High speed stability? Are your forks stock?

Weak up top? What model KDX do you have, and what's been done to it?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:"they are an absolute pig to ride off-road unless you are built like Conan the Barbarian"
You mean you're not? :lol:

"they are an absolute pig to ride off-road "
"engine is soft off the bottom "

I agree but, you can still find moded DRZ (upgraded FCR carb, yosh pipe, big bore... ) that does a lot for the weak bottom end.
As for the weight issue, converting to a kick start would save a lot, or... go to the gym! :mrgreen:
Suspension, it's like every bike you'd have to tune it to your liking.

If it was me I'd try a hybrid.
Not to hijack this thread to talk about a DRZ -s but... The bike really isn't that bad if you're a big guy (I'm not) and you stay off of single track. I actually did put a kick starter on mine for backup, but the way the electrical system is made it is very difficult to eliminate the battery - and if you do so, you're no longer street legal. I just bought a yamaha WR250R, a dual purpose bike that is also relatively heavy @ just under 300 lbs full fuel, but the CG is very low, making it a half-way decent single track bike (it feels 100 lbs lighter than the DRZ-S). It too has its quirks, but it actually is more fun to ride on the hiway than the big DRZ! Why?...6 speed, the last two being overdriven..with 26 hp it pulls all day long at 70-75 ....something the more powerful drz didn't do well. And believe it or not, the little 250 doesn't vibrate the bars!

The difference between my modded 04 DRZ-S and my 08 WR250R is that when I come to my favorite challenging trails and I feel brave, I'll take the WR on them. Even when I had war paint on I wouldn't take the DRZ on those trails. No way. If I did, my bones would be bleaching in the sun right now. :sad:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Good review on the WR. What RPM is that turning at 75? Curious as to how long the modern 4T will last at sustained high RPM...

They have gotten better in the MX world, but of course still not at the reliability level of the good ole 2T's. In the karting world, some are attempting the 250F/450F's in the MX-motored shifter classes...With quite a high failure rate. Motors see extensive sustained high-rpm use in comparison to MX use...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

Check out a KTM 400 EXC, they are smooth with plenty of power. They don't have the hit of a 450, they work great in the woods, will run out well in open trails or roads. You can usually find an 02 or 03 around for $2500 -$3000. I rode one a couple of weeks ago and haven't liked my KDX as much since. It is the first bike I have ridden that has made me consider switching colors. Hydraulic clutch, electric start, nice suspension, smooth power almost felt like a street bike :lol:
Dewey
02 -KDX220
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:What exactly is the KDX lacking? Pointing that out might help point you somewhere...

High speed stability? Are your forks stock?

Weak up top? What model KDX do you have, and what's been done to it?
Yes high speed stability I guess is what I meant. I just want a bike that I wont feel like i'm fighting with all the time. I have 97 kx forks wich improved alot but still isn't enough. I could be way off here though not having tried anything else for more than 5 mins, it could be that I would get the same feeling with just about any bike.
Gallery!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Good review on the WR. What RPM is that turning at 75? Curious as to how long the modern 4T will last at sustained high RPM...

They have gotten better in the MX world, but of course still not at the reliability level of the good ole 2T's. In the karting world, some are attempting the 250F/450F's in the MX-motored shifter classes...With quite a high failure rate. Motors see extensive sustained high-rpm use in comparison to MX use...
The WR250R is more a street bike-type engine in a special made hybrid chassis that works reasonably well off-road (a little undersprung and not quite enough rebound damping in the rear shock). The engine is basically 1/4 of an R1 (a bulletproof engine). It's a completely new design reverting back to a 4 valve head design for better durability - it is high comp and needs premium. You don't have to check the valves for something like 25000 miles ( a plus for a lazy mechanic like me). It revs to about 10K with a soft bottom and good pull about 6K on up. No tach, but it tops about 90 MPH so the rpms at 70MPH are reasonable. In the dirt, to be aggressive you have to run it like a 125 two-smoke, but keep in mind the nearly 300 lb chassis! Yahoo! - It won't pull up off idle to clear rocks, roots, etc., you've got have some clutch and body shifting for that stuff, but once you're moving it'll wheelie no sweat in the upper rpm ranges. For a go-anywhere bike, I really like it. Some guys are using it as a dirt only bike, which I can't see...a decent KDX, for example, will leave it in the dust anywhere but pavement.

muddertrucker.... a lot of dirtbikes are more stable than the KDX at speed. Both the WR and CRFX models I mentioned earlier are very confidence inspiring on fireroads for example. However, from what you describe, I bet your USD forks/rear suspension are not tuned as well as they could be for you if maximum stabililty, plush is what you're after. A KDX has a short wheelbase compared to most other bikes, so it's naturally going to be busier at speed, all other things being equal, but it still should not be hard to handle.

See if you can get someone who has a CRFX or WR to let you ride it. Four strokes can make the riding experience somewhat less tiring too as they hook up better on acceleration and you can use compression braking for slowing. In this "almost recession" you can get used bikes cheap! If I had a warehouse I'd be buying all kinds of stuff and hiding it from my wife...I've seen a low time 06 CRF450X for 3500, a like-new 05 KX250F for 2100.....in Salinas a 96 KDX200 for 800... craiglist is full of good stuff.
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

I think a ktm 400 would be great but they tend to be one of the rare bikes than people either don't buy or don't sell around here because i've rarely seen one for sale.

+1 for the tuning my suspension remark. I know it aint right yet and have recently discovered that my shock spring is 5mm shorter than spec, meaning it has to be changed. It probably would have been a good idea to change it anyway because it's the stock spring and i'm at 185ish without riding gear. I have only taken 2 shims out of the base valve of my kx forks and am waiting to get used to them before doing any further tweaking.

My real problem with tweaking is that I seem to have a terrible feel for changes. I realy can't tell the difference even after drastic changes.

Keep in mind that I don't necesarily want to get rid of the KDX but my budget doesn't realy think two bikes is a good idea so i'm looking at a one size fits all kind of bike...just in case. Not to mention that my shed is already kind of cramed as it is so a second bike would require a new garage.
Gallery!
tcat992

Post by tcat992 »

so i'm looking at a one size fits all kind of bike
I think you allready riding the right bike, :supz: just take the time to tune it.