Wiring HI-Low Switch

Got questions? We got answers....
Brian Y

Wiring HI-Low Switch

Post by Brian Y »

Okay so almost done with the dually sport conversion. But I am just wondering if any body has done a hi/low switch. I have a UFO headlight and it has 2 bulbs so easy enough to do... if you understand wiring and electricity... which I do not.

So assuming... split the power coming to other bulb (run up to switch then to both bulbs, split ground wire and run to both bulbs. Essentially the switch just sends the power to one bulb or the other?

Does this sound right? What am i missing?

Thanks,
Brian Y
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Depends on the bulb setup and if your bike has the power to drive the higher output. Generally on a two element bulb (older style headlights and blinkers) there is a shared ground and low goes to one element and high goes to the other. With two bulbs, you can tie the ground wires together and have them share a terminal, then one wire of power goes into the high low switch, and one power wire coming out goes to the low output bulb, and the other wire goes to the high output bulb. Or have the low output bulb always on and just have the high low switch power on or off to the additional bulb if your bike has the juice to run them both.

Thats my advice, but I don't have experience with the kit you are using.
Brian Y

Post by Brian Y »

Well I did what I said, and what was suggested and it worked like a champ. The light fades for a second but then turns on both bulbs. Not to bright but a noticable change, so the police when I do the inspection will notice a difference.

I might send the stator in for a rewind just to put a little more power into the system. Kind of drags down the bike when the lights are on. Might be good for riding in the mud though.

Brian Y