idle way outa wack

Got questions? We got answers....
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

idle way outa wack

Post by jaydollar »

1999 kdx 220 rb carb and head,607 reeds,after market pipe. it ran great a month ago. went for a ride today,started second kick, warmed er up and took off.buddy had a flat 4 miles into it. i stopped and it would barely idle. took my glove off and turned up the idle screw till it sounded right.next stop 10 miles later,it was barely idleing again. this happened for the next few stops,increasing the idle screw each time.bike ran fine,very little spooge. stopped at car wash on the way home to clean er up.started er up to dry er off and it idled at 9000 rpm.(sounded like it any way) hit the kill button. i knew somthing was up with turning the idle screw up each time to make it idle right, but it kept running ok.post ride inspection: spark plug was tight as was reed cage bolts and carb clamps.throttle sounds like it is topping out and bottoming out when i twist and let off the throttle,definant clunck,clunck.any thoughts,j$.
1999 kdx 220
rb carb, rb head pump gas mod. 607 reeds, airbox lid drilled
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
trail tech endurance computer
13/49 gear
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Maybe a speck of dirt in your pilot jet? I would clean the carb and see if that helps.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Everytime that has happened to me it has been a dirty carb....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jaydollar »

i will take out the main and pilot jet to look for any trash. i hope to find something but i only have about 5 hours on the rb carb since it was new.
1999 kdx 220
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
13/49 gear
cbaumann

Post by cbaumann »

>|<>QBB<
jaydollar wrote:i will take out the main and pilot jet to look for any trash. i hope to find something but i only have about 5 hours on the rb carb since it was new.
Spray carb cleaner into all the passages and blow out with compressed air.
1998 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

..but i only have about 5 hours on the rb carb since it was new.
Maybe that was said merely as a by the way..but in fact has nothing to do with the possibility of crud in the wrong place. It (crud stuck) could happen as easily with 10 minutes on a new carb as five years on a not-so-much-anymore-new carb.

But it WAS new just five years ago!

Maybe not as likely...but certainly as easily.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jaydollar »

i first checked the spark plug and then the reed cage bolts for tightness and they were fine. so off came the carb,both clamps were tight.float bowl was clean.no water or goo.took out main and pilot jets and blew carb out where they came from,every thing was free and not stopped up.blew out both jets and ran a .007 wire thru middle of pilot and all side holes.did not see any dirt or trash.had a little trouble getting the plastic ring under spring lined up with needle hold down bolt. maybe that is what was wrong in the first place.put 20 miles on it sunday (9-28)after first warm up and idle adjust,it ran fine with a steady non changing idle.its fixed,but i am still puzzeld as to why because i found no traces of dirt or blockage.J$
1999 kdx 220
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
13/49 gear
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

but i am still puzzeld as to why because i found no traces of dirt or blockage.J$
..and the answer is...
had a little trouble getting the plastic ring under spring lined up with needle hold down bolt.

Although, just 'cuz you didn't see anything doesn't mean you didn't remove sumthin'. If it was fine a month ago..and the was NOT 'all of a sudden', you likely cleaned out SOMEthing.

Glad to hear you got it got sorted out!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!