First ride with XR400 Springs

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

First ride with XR400 Springs

Post by Mark W »

Holy crapola - what a difference. Not front end dive when hitting the brakes, no bottoming when going over the smallest of jumps. Little rough riding compared to the old springs - I think I have some fiddling to do on the clickers as I haven't touched them. I was too anxious to ride.

I did have a problems with the bike. It wouldn't start. Kicked the sucker many times and it would not turn over. Gas was getting in but it didn't seem to be getting any spark. It started up everytime in the garage this year - it just wouldn't start at the track. Pulled the plug and let it dry out. Put bak in and it still wouldn't go. Let the bike sit for ahwile and it started up. Got home and washed it and it won't start agin.

Any thought?

Mark
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Try a new plug ??? That would be the first and cheapest thing to try.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Plugs can foul many different ways and you can't tell by looking at them. You should change your plug every 6 months if it needs it or not! :wink:

What heat range plug are you using? 9 or 8?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Another thing to check are the electrical connections. Make sure they are all tight and clean.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Here's another stupid mistake. I currently have 3 dirt bikes - trying to sell my son's klx110 so we will be down to 2. Anyway, I took the old spark plug out again and noticed it was a br7es plug - oop's. Put in an 8 as I have this in the garage. Even though it didn't start right away - it started. I'll let it sit and try it again in a couple of hours and see if it still starts up or not.

Could a BR7ES cause the problems noted above? Bike started 3-4 times with that plug in it with no problems and then all of a sudden, it would not start.

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A 7 is too hot for a KDX unless your just putting around... but it shouldn't cause a starting problem.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Funny thing. I put in an 8 and the sucker starts like it always has. I must have had a plug go bad. Either that, or the bike didn't like the kids motocross track that we visited.

I'm glad it is fixed.

Looks like I'll need to go with the RB mod on the carb Vince as you seem to like it quite a bit. What pipe you got to go with it?

Once again, thanks to all who helped with the springs - they really make a world of change in the way the bikes handles and all. Like riding a new machine.

Mark W
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm running the FMF rev pipe...a K-30. It works well with the RB carb and DFIII reeds... goes anywhere and does anything. Slow ...fast.... it doesn't matter! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^That setup seems to be the ultimate ticket....

Mark, If you fouled a 7 expect to foul that 8 even quicker. Need to get your bike jetted (leaner) right before even bothering w/ the carb mod/pipe. You'll be suprised what $10 worth of brass will do!

http://www.eric-gorr.com/twostktech/carbtuning.html
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Or remember to use the choke when cold? I forgot about the choke when I went to start my bike for the first time this spring and I just kept kicking....DUH. I let it sit a few minutes and then remembered the choke. Started second kick.:rolleyes:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

The 7 came out clean. I jetted my bike last year and it never fouls an 8 plug.

I used the choke as well. The sucker would not strat for the life of me. You could even hear a difference when kicking the bike over as it didn't sound too good.

Put in a new 8 and the thing runs great and starts on the first lick with no choke.

Must have had a really bad plug.

Mark