EFM Autoclutch - First Ride impressions

Got questions? We got answers....
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

EFM Autoclutch - First Ride impressions

Post by johnkdx220 »

After many months of waiting for the white shi* to melt, I finally had the chance to try out the EFM autoclutch and wiseco piston set-up this morning.

There is only one word that can describe the EFM autoclutch: "AWESOME". I have absolutely NOTHING to say against the product and nothing but praise for the service that Garry and Terri provided. During assembly, I broke the inner hub (don't ask how :oops:... ). When I called Garry at EFM, the immediate answer was "Don't worry...". He immediately went through the trouble of buying an OEM part and remachine it. Guess what, they only charged me for their purchase cost + actual shipping. That's service! What could of cost me $150+ ended up in a $65 mistake.

Riding impressions: My smilling muscles are still acking. Instant power wherever, much less rider fatigue (could also be a result of the much narrower handlebars), and lots easier to ride in the rough terrain (river crosssings...) Twist the throttle a little bit and the front end lifts no problem. I should of done this last year! Best move I did, by far. Skipro said it take 4-5 rides to get used to it. Make that 4-5 minutes!

Moreover, the sound is great ! With the Wiseco, it feels and sounds like a 250. With the USD forks and the EFM, this bike will never be for sale and I swear to never shift to the orange world.

Bottom line, I truly beleive this product will enable any of us to ride longuer and faster. (*I AM NOT PAID TO SAY THIS*). If I eventually have something bad to say, I will promptly do so on this forum.

:partyman:
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

Just curious, what is the total cost on the clutch setup? How hard was it to convert?
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

$500 + shipping + odd tools and lubricants = $600.

It was my first experience removing/installing a clutch. I found it relatively easy because I wasn't in a hurry to do it and had the luxury to do it in my workshop. I figure that someone familiar with clutch assembly would do this in 40 minutes max. I lost time finding a way to lock the magneto from spinning and allow for the removal of the clutch basket center nut (I finally bought a "strap wrench (sic?)" to hold down the magneto. I also lost some time trying to torque down the same nut with a regular torque wrench but couldn't do it (the clutch basket kept turning). The solution: install the pressure plates first, put pressure with your hand and use the an impact gun. (this is somewhat of a different procedure that in the instructions). Overall, the instructions are good (I beleive Skipro contributed).

Oh yeah, make sure you thoroughly clean all the part before assembly. There was lots of loose metal particules/shavings resulting from the CNC process.
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm glad you find the auto-clutch as much fun as I do. Did your instructions have photos of the assembly process? If so, then those are my bike! To lock up the motor so as to take the clutch nut off, I put the bike in gear and then ran a heavy rod across the swing arm and through a hole in the rear sprocket. To put the nut on, run the rod under the swing arm. Also, clamping the chain with a visegrip and then rotating it to the front sprocket will jamb up the motor so it won't turn when trying to put on or remove the nut.

How odd is it to instinctively grab for the phantom clutch lever!!! That's why I recommend letting your muscles memorize not to do that before getting the hand operated rear brake. And I do recommend getting that. It is so much quicker to use a couple of fingers to control the rear brake than the foot control. Also much more precise. I equate it to the feeling of riding a mountain bike; both brakes on the bars and both feet firmly planted on the pegs.

I ended up adding 1 extra pair of spring washers. Not a full set all the way around, just 1 pair. The bike is easier to start in gear and it builds a little more rev before engaging. Also slips easier on steep hills when you are in too tall a gear.

Write more as you gain experiance with it. It's great to hear how others react as they discover new riding experiances with the auto-clutch.

Oh, and modify your signature line. Soon just came!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I called EFM Friday and they are all out of the spacers so I have to wait about 10 days, then I am going to do it. Gary did inform me that Ski's pictures are being sent with the KDX clutch. I have pondered this purchase for quite a while, Rekluse told me they were still about a year away from having a KDX model. In January this yerar Rekluse said it would be out in the spring. It's going to be a EFM or nothing now, just because you guys are very happy customers AND they have the product. I can't imagine riding a tight slippery snot section with an auto clutch...but soon I will find out.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That clutch will make you look like a hero!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Ski, you are right. I will be the first to admit that when I get deep into stuff I ride in (Pacific NW dense growth with tight wet slippery snot rock infested rooted...STUFF) this thing will make me more efficient (read less kills and spills and make up for my lack of skilled clutching). This is to us dirt bikers as the auto-trans is to those who have drifted back in their manual at a stop sign on an uphill intersection...I am looking forward to the day when I can ride the stuff that tears me a new one (injuries and broken bike parts) will no longer be a survival ride, but FUN! All I want to do is have fun, not prove to anyone that I can clutch my way through the crap. Cuz I can't. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't. With the EFM I will always get it right, therefore I will be...INVINCABLE! Well after 3 shots of tequila I will be invincible. I still have your pics you sent of the mod and they are hanging up in the garage.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It is so cool to fall down and see your bike still idleing away, the rear wheel spinning, then pick it up, and take off without having to kick start a stalled, flooded bike.
Also, steep hills if you crash, just pick the bike up, goose the throttle and walk alongside it as you make your way to a safe place you can remount and ride off.

That is the reason I LOVE the hand operated rear brake. The manual clutch allowed for the rear tire to hold the hill if you fell, stalled the bike, and then picked it back up. Ever pick up the KDX on a hill with the bike in neutral? The front brake isn't enough and you can't be standing on a steep hill on one foot so you can hold the bike there with the rear and front brake. With the hand operated rear brake, you control both front AND rear brake while keeping both feet on the ground and working the bike up or down the hill.
I have completely blown away guys as they saw me do this sort of thing. Usually the manual clutch isn't going to be that precise and the rear wheel will spin or you stall the bike.
It's like having Jeff Fredette sitting there on your handlebar controling the clutch for you. I know some will say it's taking from the whole dirtbike thing. But it's the opposite. I now go places and try things I never would have and when I do try them, I'm enjoying myself. Much less fatgue(sp?) at the end of the day.

FWIW:
I tried ATF and my auto clutch didn't like it; lots of aluminum sparkles found floating in the fluid after a couple of rides. Shift was off too with several false neutrals or the bike kicking out of 1st or 2nd and into neutral. I'm using Mobil1 15-50 and it works fine for me.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote:It is so cool to fall down and see your bike still idleing away, the rear wheel spinning, then pick it up, and take off without having to kick start a stalled, flooded bike.
Hmm... Exact same effect I get with the hand guards! :lol:

I hear ya Ski... I will have one next season when all you guys pitch in and get me one for Christmas..... right? :cry:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Putting a rod in the swing arm and sproket.... Great idea. Should be part of the instructions. Geee, why didn't I think about that? Oh, I remember: because the swingarm/rear assembly was also removed for the winter overhaul.

I did install a left hand brake assembly (home made with mountain bike levers and cables linked to a custom lever welded on the rear of the foot lever. My muscles quickly learned to forget about the clutch because the EFM does much better than I can. "On the other hand", it will take me a while to gain the reflex to use my left hand to brake.

You can see pictures of the homemade rear brake assembly here: http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunit ... lutch.msnw
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I left the method of how to lock up the motor as an exercise for the installer. It's more interesting seeing how other folks do it.

That's a pretty nice brake assembly. You have both the foot and the hand operated rear brake. I've only got the hand.
How much pull is it to operate the hand lever?

For some fun, I offer to let other guys ride my bike without the knowledge there is an auto clutch, there is a hand brake where the clutch used to be, and there is no foot operated brake. It's good for a chuckle or two.
Jerry

johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

How much pull is it to operate the hand lever?
A little more than the clutch lever was. I assume that if I had made a longuer rear pedal lever, the pull would be a little bit easier.

Since I have the foot and hand levers, I think I will use the hand lever only for brake slides on tight right turns (without ever stalling the bike :grin:)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski.... could you post your brake setup in the gallery? I might be thinking about it... MIGHT! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Come on Ski.... I'm interested, I'm interested! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

When my bikes were stolen at Loretts Lynn's Fall Ride four years back Gary let me ride his Gas Gas 300, it was a blast, I've been sold on it since! I ridden several other brands with it, Cannondale, KTM and of course KDX's, they all work great! It's a great product and Gary is a fine fellow! Jerry
I teach off road riding to kids and demo bikes for Kawasaki of Memphis. Member of The Memphis Motorcycle Club, http://www.memphismotorcycleclub.com
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I called again and there are no aluminum spacers. The supplier, who uses the water cutting technique, is slow to produce for EFM. So I wait. Maybe I should just learn better clutch technique.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:I called again and there are no aluminum spacers. The supplier, who uses the water cutting technique, is slow to produce for EFM. So I wait. Maybe I should just learn better clutch technique.
Are you still waiting ?? :hmm:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I will have one next season when all you guys pitch in and get me one for Christmas..... right?
Maybe EFM will give you one for x-mas if you put up a big banner ad. We do have at least 500+ potential customers on here...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I no longer have a need for an auto clutch. I have moved from the mountains of WA to the sands of Florida. I rarely see tight sections of trails anymore where I could justify one.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Bummer

I could never go back to the South to live

Least the fishin' is good
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS