New Top End?

Got questions? We got answers....
dirtbikelogan

New Top End?

Post by dirtbikelogan »

Hello,
I have recently purchased a 2006 KDX 200 and am questioning wether or not it needs a new top end. Does anyone know a defenite way to tell wether or not it does? Any help on this would be great. Thanks!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You can check the compression

FWIW, My ol' '92 has been pulling my dainty lil +270lb ass (nekkid) for the past +5 yrs on a Wiseco top end

It still runs as good or better than it did 5 years ago

I'm sure it's due for a new one but I just don't have the $$ right now
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If it starts easily and runs good...run it.

There are plenty of other things I will guaran-darn-tee aren't OK, though. A biggy:

Grease (everywhere..suspension, swingarm, steering).

The bottom shock bearing is a high maintenance item if you ride much at all. I've replaced mine several times a year in the OEM configuration.

Have fun!!

In specific response to your 'definite' question, Mr. Wibbens is correct. A properly done compression check with decent tools will tell give you a very good idea if the top-end is OK. Consider that six different compression checks done by six different people/guages on the same machine will likely show quite a bit of variance.

:hmm:
I guess 'dainty' used in conjuction with '270#' and 'nekkid' has something to do with undergarment color...which is red judging from the color of the undergarments observed to be worn on some person's head...but, to tell the truth, I really doan wanna know anything about WHAT it has to do with.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!