How is a KDX at higher speeds?

Got questions? We got answers....
n8sjh

How is a KDX at higher speeds?

Post by n8sjh »

I ride a dr 350 4 stroke now. I originally bought it to save gas but ride it out on the trails more. I am looking for another bike that will be primarily trail use but still needs to be street legal to ride from trail to trail and some of the cycle trails in michigan.
So how would a KDX 220 do at road riding? I am thinking anywhere from 10 to 20 mile stretches of road at 55 mph? I know it seems to be awesome at trails in lower speeds but can it last at higher speeds or should I look for something else?
I am thinking of a KDX for the reliability and the ease of maintaining it.

Thanks
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I think the DR you own now is better suited to offroading and 20 miles stretches of 55MPG highway driving. Wanna ride woods and trails? The KDX is an awesome bike. On the highway....not so much.
Joe
'01 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Riders on this forum don't generally run their KDXs that much on the road that I've heard of, anyway. Doubt you will find a lot of personal experience posts in that regard. That's not what KDX is made for.

My bike doesn't have any problems with maybe eight or so miles at road speed, and I wouldn't expect it to have any problem with 20 miles of road, either. If you ride that TO wherever you're trail riding, and assuming you will be riding that many miles BACK, that is a LOT of wear and tear on a knobby, and NOT a lot of fuel left in your tank I would suppose.

A lot of the choice would have to do with what 'cycle trails' means. If it's the sort of thing the KDX far exceeds the DR in and the purpose is to do that (exceed the DR), the KDX can handle the go-to and get-back, but that is not what it's suited for.

Can you 'legal' a KDX for the street in Michigan?

**Just re-read the title of this post..how is the KDX at higher SPEEDS. It's just fine. As fast as you wanna go it will be fine. Not a twitch, not a twitter, not a shake. That merely anecdotal input, 'natch, of my bike at speed (over 70mph). With a 12/47 final drive, that's wound pretty tight to do 20 miles.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

10 miles is my limit, I feel like I am beating the hell out of it the whole time and it is beating the hell out of me.
It is the suckyest 10 miles of motorcycle ridding I have ever experienced.
I barely can stand 2-3 miles at a true 55.

I have not and will not try 20 miles @ those speeds.

Now if you can run 40 its a whole different game and not 1/2 bad.
07 KTM 640 Adventure
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I agree with the 40 mph not being bad. What's the hurry?

45+ for any amount of time just puts my teeth on edge. Definately not a Paris-Dakaar contender
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Where I live and ride most roads are posted either 55 or 60.
It is also 10 miles (or more) of dead straight between roads.

You have to ride like a moped on the side of the road to stay in the 40 range.
Every one is zipping by you at 65.
While the bike feels much better its still a pretty sucky (and long) 10 mile trip.
I would blow my brains out if I tried 20 miles.

Now if I lived where the speed limits were lower and the roads were more entertaining, it would be OK
07 KTM 640 Adventure
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

Yep

I suggest you get some dual sport tires if you plan on doing it often.

I took my KDX200 on a 100 mile ride and there is a very noticeable difference when you reach a "certain speed". When you reach this "certain speed" the ride is no longer fun. Since I don't have speedometer I don't know what the certain speed is, however, I have a feeling that it is anything above 40-45 mph.

I can just tell when the engine is straining and don't push it past that point although it will gladly do it. Riding in this manner I got 115 miles on a tank of petrol before switching to reserve. Also, I clutched when decresing speed drastically.

However - I think I would rather have the 4 stroke if I could - at least for the road riding.
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
n8sjh

Post by n8sjh »

I guess I just wanted to know if it could handle it. Not that I will be doing it all that often. Here in Michigan some of the best single track motorcycle trails require that you have a plate. If I plated it I would for sure get a DOT tires. I have a dunlop 606 on the dr rear now. It does ok on the road. I trailer to most trails but there are a few that are only a few miles from my camp area. Also I would be taking bail outs off the trails on road to go get gas if needed to continue riding. I would carry oil already with me. I have also rode 2 times this year with other guys that did not want to take the trail back but the road (wussies). Thats where I came up with the 20 mile road trip because thats the farthest I have rode on pavement to go around the trail. Also roads are only 55 mph max I usually do go a bit slower.
Anyways sounds like it will do it if need be. My plan is to get a smaller trail bike and then get a bigger dualsport bike to ride back and forth to work or when I know that we are riding on fire roads and 2 tracks.
Thanks