question for rb but will take any advice

Got questions? We got answers....
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

question for rb but will take any advice

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

stripped the head off the 6mm nut that gives access to the needle, how do i get it out. im thinking drill it and use an ez out.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Needle nose vise-grips?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i think i'll try cutting a slot in the head with a dremel tool and using a straight screwdriver.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I went through this. The metal they use for that thing is pathetic. I tried the needle nose vice grips, but mine were too bulky to get inside the slide. I ended up filing a slot in the top of the nut with my multi-tool, then I soaked the thing in Liquid Wrench for about a half hour. I was able to get it off with a screwdriver then. I got a replacement from Sudco, and always put anti-seize compound on it now.

Good luck,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Cutting a slot and using a flat blade screwdriver is the easiest and best way as, Colorado Mike suggested.

Now in defense of the so called "crap metal" everyone associates with carb bodies, slides and other cast carb parts are concerned. The metals used for these types of castings are very soft alloys with lots of things in it, to make the VERY intricate and detailed parts.

As a machinist, I hate getting a clean cut on this material BUT! I do understand why it is this way. You could not make a precision metal part at a low enough cost any other way.

People should understand this and take this into consideration when working on any carb. It is not a piece of "Detroit Iron" that can be hammered on and use crude tools on.

When it comes to the 6 mm hex that retains the needle and connects the throttle cable, "USE ONLY A 6 POINT SOCKET or NUT DRIVER".

When tightening this part, just make it snug. Do not over torque it this part does not need to be cinched down that hard, pretend that you are screwing a plastic screw into a piece of plastic.

Ron :wink:
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

thanks ron. it was a 6point socket that rounded the head off. as far as i know this one has never been out. it sure was tight.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

89kdx200rdr,

Sorry to hear about your problem..., and was wondering if you were using a 6 mm 6 point socket or possibly a 1/4" 6 point socket? The reason I ask is, a 1/4" socket will work on a 6 mm nut..., but is a little loose by .014". This may not seem like a lot, but with the softer metal of the carb part it could round off the corners...???

Doing what I do, I have run into many hard to get loose retainers like yours. I have come up against many rounded corners and have had good luck using my 6 point 6mm socket. Note holding the slide in a secure manor helps too.

Ron
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Great tips and I'm going to learn from your misfortune. I've been "getting away" with the 1/4" nut driver. I'm shopping for a 6mm nut driver now. I hope Craftsman makes one.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

no im pretty anal about my tools it was a 6mm 6pt snapon socket. ski carftsmen stuff is ok for cars but i use snapon at work and on my bike. i didnt think there was a difference but try putting a craftsmen wrench on a pitot or static fitting and then try a mac or snapon. they used to make craftsmen professional they were a little better.

ron do you sell jets? i also need to pick up another one of those airsrews.
my email is cclark01@chartertn.net send me an email with details on how to order.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RE: 'details on how to order...'

Send me money.
Wait for the part to show up.

;)

Repeated for emphasis: Use Anit-seize on that needle retainer nut!

Ski: I looked for a 6mm nutdriver @ Sears. Didn't find one. Asked about getting one. 'Nope.' Let me know if you are told something different. It would be nice to get one with a little handle. Could always make it little myself...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Re: 6mm nutdriver

Got one in my KTM tool kit that I kept! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think I will try anti-seize the next time on mine. Mine is looking real bad, and I have used only a 6mm, 6pt socket on it. (Craftsman)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i have a craftsmen 6mm nutdriver it came in a set tho. check online sometimes you can get stuff online thats not in the store. also check another store. two sears stores 15 miles apart one in kingsport one in bristol kingsport store has more tools
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Check this one out CC:
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cat/ss/1986-0229.jpg

or try this one, put it in a vise and bend the handle into an "L" shape for easy remote access.
http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/sh ... id=108X171

Or here's sweet little set in a pouch. (scroll down past the screwdrivers)
http://www.crawfordtool.com/wiha_system6.html
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You got time on your hands? :wink:

Thanks for the info!

I like the midget Xcelite. I've always liked their stuff.

I carry 6 and 8mm sockets, a short extension and a 1/4" ratchet.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!