Vintage MX Pics!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Vintage MX Pics!!!

Post by jafo »

Theres some pics in the gallery a buddy of mine took for me at my Vintage MX race. Enjoy.

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! That looks like fun! That track looks vintage friendly. Do they just run vintage races there or is it a park with that being one of the tracks at the park? Thanks for the pictures. I like how the track seems to be made out in a field with not a ton of work involved to make it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

The only thing I really know for sure is that it's owned by a guy that has a Moto Guzzi shop behind the track. The only time you can get on that track from what I understand is during one of these vintage races. There will be another one in June. Unfortunatly, I'm now vintage bikeless. I sold the KDX yesterday. I'll get another one sometime and do it again, but it costs $8 to get in the gate and another $30 to race. Thats $38 each race, and it's something I want to think about before getting involved to far, cause when I get into something, I really get into it. The tug of war between vintage MX and running harescrambles is being won by the harescrambles right now. I'm alittle more interested in enduros and the like than Vintage MX.

As far as the track, it's pretty mellow compaired to other tracks. But that does'nt hold some of these "experts" back. That pic where my front wheels up in the air is me landing at the finish line. It's a pretty knarly jump, kinda tricky too. When your comming up to the jump, you go down a pretty steep hill to pick up speed then hit the finish line jump, the track ammediatly takes a slite sweeping left turn. when one of these expert riders hit the finish line jump on the last lap went about 8 or 9 ft. in the air. He crested the top of an Chevy astro van that was parked longways along the finishline jump! On a vintage bike! Then theres the nasty hil almost straight up. The approach is a sharp left hand turn and about 10 foot of run before the hill. All in all, it's a fun track to run around. No real big jumps like on modern MX tracks just a fun track.

They're having a hill climb on the same property sometime soon also. I'd like to go see that! I like watching hill climbing, it kicks ass! :supz:

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the additional information. How much did you get for the KDX? $38 a pop is kind of steep. Then again, I think it is $40 a pop at the local MX park with MX track and SX track.

Did you see any farm or landscaping equipment close by on that track? I am wondering how exactly they got the track made. One of my friends has a big field in his backyard that is several acres large. We are planning some simple riding area back there, and those pictures of you on the flat portions of the track look just great for something we could probably do. He has a tractor, but I don't think he owns any earth moving attachments. Maybe he can borrow whatever he needs.

Thanks again for the pictures. I am going to have to get him to see those, even though he is internet-less.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

All I seen around was old broken down antique farm tractors and equipment. The best way to build a track is to get a bobcat, you should be able to rent one, and use the contours of the land and just be creative. If I biult a track, I would lay down a trail first using the bikes. While you were riding be thinking of a good place to put some short doubles, a burm ect. The one pic where I'm on flat ground going towards a tree is right before a burm. They used the side of a hill and just cut into it and them finished it off with bikes probably. I'd ride just after a rain or something, turf would be esier to tear up. As far as having a track, maintenance would be an issue also. It's best to break up the soild before riding in my opinion, thats what I've seen them do every where I've rid'n. All's you would need there would be a tractor and an old pull behind Harrow section. You ever see one of those? If you've been out in the country any, you've probably seen one. The are simple, they have bars going lateral and small spikes u-bolted to the cross bars avery foot or so. The spikes stick straight down and is drug across the dirt to break it up. My brother and I have used those before, we even used old railroad ties to add weight to the harrow making the spikes go deeper into the soil. Just an idea. I want to build a track on my brothers farm too. You would need at least 10 acres to make a medium fast track. The one I rode on in the vintage race was inside of at least 30 acres. But I've seen people build tracks on 5 acres. Kind of tight but it's still fun.

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My friend owns a tractor, and we are going to borrow a disc harrow and spreader / leveler from my dad. My dad also has a 1/2' thick wire wesh "blanket" looking thing that we plan to drag behind the tractor or his 4-wheeler. If that don't get it, then it won't get got. :grin:

We walked around on his land yesterday to get an idea of where to put stuff.

The riding area would be a few acres in size. If people can race Arenacross, surely we can build something on a few acres. :grin:

We are not trying to build anything too aggressive, so maybe it will work out.

Thank for the information.