Throttle Cable - Gone

Got questions? We got answers....
paceyman
Supporting Member

Throttle Cable - Gone

Post by paceyman »

Well... it happened two weeks after I thought about it - throttle cable broke enroute to the woods the other day. I need one here by Thursday since I have an event this weekend. OE or AM - who will be able to ship it tomorrow?

Thanks for your help.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
mudsplasher
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by mudsplasher »

Dennis Kirk will ship it today. http://www.denniskirk.com or 800-328-9280.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

motosport.com has OEM parts. You can also see online if the part is in stock. Free 2nd day air shipping for orders over $99.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Most bike shops around here will make one, on the spot
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Most bike shops around here will make one, on the spot
That is very unique... nothing like that is offered around here.

Ordered the MotionPro yesterday.

Thanks all.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A gripe.....

I'm getting fairly well sick and tired of this...it's been a bee in my bonnet for the past couple of weeks.

I would like to see a picture that resembled the product that is being sold on the PAGE the product is advertised.

This is an example. The MotionPro site does have a picture posted for the KDX..and if it's the correct picture...it's not gonna fit.

It's probably NOT the right picture...but why post misleading information?

This laziness on the 'webster's' part has given me grief lately on wheel balancers, sleeping bags, and airless sprayer parts to name a few.

I wouldn't mind so much if I knew MotionPro was right all the time. Problem is...I know they are NOT! I bought two throttle cables from them (not for a KDX), bought the second thinking something HAD to be wrong with the first, 'cuz what kind of boob would screw up a simple cable fabrication as bad as the first cable?

The second cable was the same junk. Only after I contacted them, sent them pictures, talked to them about the problem did they agree that their configuration was incorrect.

Bless them for FIXING the problem...but it wouldn't have been hard to get it right the FIRST time! They could have measured the OEM cable..they could have test fit their aftermarket cable to the specified machine (and paid attention to what didn't work), but they didn't.

Also part of the problem is the Keihin carb on the KDX is NOT OEM Keihin! It's a Kaw specific carb.

So..the chances of getting the cable fit wrong just increased logarithmically.

Please do post a 'fit' or 'nope' comment when you get your part?

Thanks.

..water under the proverbial bridge now...but a spare set of cables is a good thing to have in your bike bag. I change cables every couple years..take the old ones with me. Using a cable 'til it breaks on you isn't a good plan. Plan ahead. You're going to need them sooner or later..why not save a riding day and have them sooner!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:A gripe.....

I'm getting fairly well sick and tired of this...it's been a bee in my bonnet for the past couple of weeks.

I would like to see a picture that resembled the product that is being sold on the PAGE the product is advertised.

This is an example. The MotionPro site does have a picture posted for the KDX..and if it's the correct picture...it's not gonna fit.

It's probably NOT the right picture...but why post misleading information?

This laziness on the 'webster's' part has given me grief lately on wheel balancers, sleeping bags, and airless sprayer parts to name a few.

I wouldn't mind so much if I knew MotionPro was right all the time. Problem is...I know they are NOT! I bought two throttle cables from them (not for a KDX), bought the second thinking something HAD to be wrong with the first, 'cuz what kind of boob would screw up a simple cable fabrication as bad as the first cable?

The second cable was the same junk. Only after I contacted them, sent them pictures, talked to them about the problem did they agree that their configuration was incorrect.

Bless them for FIXING the problem...but it wouldn't have been hard to get it right the FIRST time! They could have measured the OEM cable..they could have test fit their aftermarket cable to the specified machine (and paid attention to what didn't work), but they didn't.

Also part of the problem is the Keihin carb on the KDX is NOT OEM Keihin! It's a Kaw specific carb.

So..the chances of getting the cable fit wrong just increased logarithmically.

Please do post a 'fit' or 'nope' comment when you get your part?

Thanks.

..water under the proverbial bridge now...but a spare set of cables is a good thing to have in your bike bag. I change cables every couple years..take the old ones with me. Using a cable 'til it breaks on you isn't a good plan. Plan ahead. You're going to need them sooner or later..why not save a riding day and have them sooner!!
I always am better off after reading a CC post - don't we all agree on that?

I will indeed post fit - no fit since I have a race this weekend and I marshall in my son's Pee Wee race as well. I may have to use a pumpkin as a backup if it doesn't fit.

As a side note, I also ordered in a new kicker since the old one is worn out and a oversize mount for some new bars. Will advise on all the findings next week.

Thanks all. :supz:
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
paceyman wrote:I always am better off after reading a CC post - don't we all agree on that?
Even if you don't learn anything you still have that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Warm.... fuzzy?

:hmm:

That's just gas.......

Uh...on the kicker thing....what exactly is a 'new kicker' to you?

Did you order more than one part?

I'm sure we do all agree that you are better off. It's kind of an overall sense of appreciation; a 'There but for the grace of God go I!' sort of thing I'd suppose.

:wink:

It's not easy..... being green.

Consider the source

paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:Warm.... fuzzy?

Uh...on the kicker thing....what exactly is a 'new kicker' to you?
New kicker = photo below...

I ordered all these parts at once...
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great!! I wuz all worried'n stuff 'bout 'new kicker' meaning only the lever itself..and that's not going to help you at all.

Putting a new kick lever on a worn knuckle results only in a very quickly worn out fairly new kick lever.

Consider replacing the spring with something from your local hardware store. The OEM spring has the spring characteristics akin to 60/40 solder. It's crap. Find an expansion spring that is the same diameter and of suitable strength, cut it into acceptable lengths..presto! Now you have a spring that works..and spares, too!

The washer is a good idea. It wears..and you won't find a replacement for THAT part at your local hardware store. I never did anyway.......

Consider the source

paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Great!! I wuz all worried'n stuff 'bout 'new kicker' meaning only the lever itself..and that's not going to help you at all.

Putting a new kick lever on a worn knuckle results only in a very quickly worn out fairly new kick lever.

Consider replacing the spring with something from your local hardware store. The OEM spring has the spring characteristics akin to 60/40 solder. It's crap. Find an expansion spring that is the same diameter and of suitable strength, cut it into acceptable lengths..presto! Now you have a spring that works..and spares, too!

The washer is a good idea. It wears..and you won't find a replacement for THAT part at your local hardware store. I never did anyway.......
The fit on the Motion Pro throttle cable was spot on. The only thing I don't like is the sound the spring makes in the carb when it's compressed. Good thing is I can't hear that when the bike is running... :razz:

I moved the clip to the top position to see if it would help out with the spoo. It did. Will try that for a while and do some plug reads.

Thanks again for the help fellas.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '...the sound the spring makes in the carb when it's compressed.'

The cable retainer (the white nylon piece) is fit correctly to the needle retainer nut? Its tab needs to fit properly in the slot.

The only time I recall hearing spring noise from the carb is when something was amiss with the assy.

Consider the source