Sump and frame guards for a 2004 KDX220.

Got questions? We got answers....
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Sump and frame guards for a 2004 KDX220.

Post by GreatBritishRob »

Is there such a thing available?
Got a big enduro/rally competition coming up soon and i know the area very well as i grew up around there (Hafren). Lots of tree stumps, shale, rocks etc etc.
Oh, I was told to 40 to 1 mix for the motion lotion but in the manual with the bike it says 32 to 1. Who's right?
Last thing for now. The exhaust. Is it only the 2 springs that hold the exhaust in place in the exhaust port? Theres no collar to bolt on? My bike is spitting out all sorts from the exhaust port so im guessing theres a collar missing ot the exhaust gasket has gone or do they all do that?
Cheers for now :mrgreen:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Others on here can answer better on the sump and frame guard. There are several available, I believe.

40:1 is fine with a quality 2-stroke oil. Jetting O.K.?

It is only the two springs. There is an o-ring on the pipe and usually a copper gasket that goes into the cylinder port first, then the pipe pushes against that. I'll bet if you take the pipe off the o-ring has fallen apart. Replace it and put some hi-temp RTV on it and it should seal up nicely
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Cheers Karl. Seems no one knows on the other matters :roll: :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure! DEVOL my friend!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Sure! DEVOL my friend!
Nice one. Got a website address etc? Know if they send stuff to Britain?
Im in a bit of a pickle we could say. I know people that have ordered stuff from the USA and theyve got stung with import taxes etc. Now this is ordering direct from shops, manufacturers etc. I have a lot of family that live in the USA (Las Vegas, Georgia, Michigan etc) and im wondering if it would be easier to order stuff for me then send it as a private/personal/present type thing? Anyone know?
Ha! Lifes never easy is it?!?!?! :mrgreen:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Here's the website Bob

http://www.devolracing.com/

I'm not sure about shipping - click on "Contact Us" and give them a holler about that. Who knows, maybe there's something near your neck of the woods.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Wait a minute!

Thought you got NO replies?? :?

>|<>QBB<
GreatBritishRob wrote:Great, i asked about these and got no replies. :roll:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Wait a minute!

Thought you got NO replies?? :?

>|<>QBB<
GreatBritishRob wrote:Great, i asked about these and got no replies. :roll:
Well i have now so no need to worry :mrgreen:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mighta helped if we knew wtf a sump guard was? :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Mighta helped if we knew wtf a sump guard was? :lol:
Ah, well if you colonials learnt proper English there wouldnt have been a misunderstanding would there now?!?!?! :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There ain't no misunderstanding. One speaks in a way not to be understood, no one understands, so why waste typing time?

Pond separation does cause problems. KDXs not in the US are often NOT US bikes. They are SRs. SRs are considerably different from US models, so any 'advice' from a US KDX owner to an SR owner may well be worse than a waste of time, 'cuz it will be WRONG..not simply not applicable.

That seems to happen more often in NZ and AU than in the northern hemisphere, though.

Anyway...to your post..........

If you have oil spitting out the pipe/cylinder joint, it likely is NOT a 'collar' (gasket) missing, and, no, they don't all do that.

Chances are your pipe is bent. That's common. If you dry fit your pipe, you will likely see that the pipe head-end is not square to the cylinder. If it IS fit square (even depth all the way around) when you put it on, likely the silencer/stinger end don't line up..the resulting tweak to get that joint together UNseats the pipe/cylinder joint.

A couple of things: Bend your pipe to make it fit on both ends like it should. Aftermarket pipes are pretty easy to bend. Stick a piece of pipe in/on each end, move ends as required. With a good bit of patience and some pondering over the geometry of the situation, you will get to the point that the headpipe/cylinder joint is square and it does not MOVE when your put the silencer on.

There is also a good chance your patience with fussing with it will dissipate long before the fit is finished. In that case, put a bead of hi-temp silicone around the outside of a clean headpipe end, place in a clean cylinder. Attach the springs/hangers, put on the silencer, let the joint set until the silicone cures. A trouble light (incandescent..not LED or fluoro) hung near the joint will help the cure process.

Re: Who's right? (oil)

Its largely a matter of personal preference. I've found 40:1 works better in my KDX than does 32:1. That is anti-thetical...as the more oil is used, the better a 2-smoke has been documented to run. Still...40: is my choice. I prefer 32: in my Banshee twin over 40:. My choice.

Any KDX skidplate I've seen has protection for the existing frame loops that already guard the 'sump'. Some bike skidplates do NOT have those 'ears' as an integral part OF the plate.

'Frame guards' generally refers to protection for the frame at boot-wear points. Devol and Works Connection do make guards that protect that part of the frame. 'Frame guards' is not generally a term referring to the FRAME LOOPS that protect the mag/flywheel and the water pump. The loops don't guard the frame..they guard the motor..the loops are PART of the frame.

What tire pressures you generally run? The lower the better, pretty much (within reason of course. I'm not talking about 2psi..or whatever the hell newton-meters/kg squared excuse you use for pressure)..as long as your tube can protect you from pinch flats (a heavy duty tube) and you don't hit rocks hard enough to damage your rims at said pressure.

Jeb: Who's Bob? :hmm:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:There ain't no misunderstanding. One speaks in a way not to be understood, no one understands, so why waste typing time?

:
But i was speaking in a way to be understood. The terms i used are perfectly correct where i come from. As this is a KDX forum and not specific to any country as i understand (there are no flags or the likes heading this forum anyway) then surely its not a waste of time to answer, even if it is wrong. Surely to ask would be a good thing to do though to make sure one isnt wasting ones time?!?!?!
Anyway, cheers for the rest of the advice, appreciated.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wuz just pulling your leg...stating the way things are understood from this end.

Actually, there was a point.

Have a seat on the couch...............................

On the recent Idaho ride there was a European native..a German guy that's now living in Canada. It was downright funny to hear/deal with the number of things that were missed communication-wise between two cultures..even when the two are at the least siblings. As long as it's lighthearted banter between the two..that's fine. But...it's real easy to slip into gettin' your hackles up over one thing or another, and that generally is based on something misunderstood or not taken 'orrectly'.

I specifically wrote what I did the way I did to lean toward being NOT light about it...just to see what the response would be.

..and you got a little testy about it. That's fine..again...that was the point..to pretty much egg you in that direction.

Call it my own little social experiment. When given the choice of 'stepping up' to insult or injury, do yourself a favor..step back instead. Things will generally go better. That's true for both a colonial AND the King's (or Queen's) serf. We're all proletariat brothers here, 'eh?

Of course, common sense tells you when TWO steps up are necessary. Ex: Break into my home, give me 1/2 a chance to get my weapon, I WILL fear for my life, and I WILL kill you (being afraid for my life making it legal in this state to blow your head off). I won't ask, 'Hey! How YOU doin'?'

Re: 'surely its not a waste of time to answer, even if it is wrong.'

I disagree. I, for one, don't want to launch into what is supposedly a meaningful direction only to find that I've ended up being lost in space. A wrong answer may well be more than a waste of just time. Obviously that doesn't apply to one's stated opinion. While you may not agree with such an opinion, that doesn't make it wrong. Just disagreeable! :wink:

..and it's 'it's' ..not its. :wink:

Consider the source

GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

I cant (Cannot/Can't) be arsed with all the proper punctuation. Typing is a chore at the best of times (Time's) with hand's (Hand's) the size of mine.
As far as getting testy, nah mate not at all. We Brits (British/Brit's) love our banter.
Anyway, yes the slight differences (difference's) in our language are quite funny. We call the back space in a car a boot, you call it a trunk. Well a trunk is what is attatched to the front of an elephants (elephant's) face. Fanny pack makes (make's) me laugh aswell as we call them a bum bag.
Just out of interest, have you ever been over this way?
Ive (i've) been to the USA a few time's and enjoyed it (apart from Las Vegas, nightmare of a place). Loved staying in Boston and surrounding areas. Im (i'm) not a city person as a rule but i really liked Boston. Dare i say it had a very British feel about it ( I live not far from the original Boston where the founding fathers originally set sail from). It amazed me around that area with all the town and city name's from over here. I guess that's why it's called New England (even though most seem to think they are Irish).
Did i mention i have a lot of family over there? Uncle's and Aunts (and nearly my parents) moved over there in the 50's when there was a big thing for British Engineer's. I have load's of cousins and the likes born American from Georgia to California to Michigan to New York. My Brother in law is originally from Buffalo (although he spent from the age of 12 in Boston then moved to Vegas).
Ah well, there you go.
Im off for a pint or 3 :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

WoW. You spent a LOT of time at the typing chore what with all them apausetrophies.

No, sir. Have never been over that way.

Sorry to hear you're hand's are not quite grown to man-size'd. Dont fret. Theyll catch up to the res't of 'ya someday!!

A BTW: Asked about what struck him (Florian...the German/Canuck) as something odd about US, he thought for a second, replied, 'Beer and bread!'

Ha! The poor schleppe showed up with Miller beer. Not even MGD, but Hi-Life 'fer crine' out loud..and had a hotdog (frankfurter?) bun that had gotten smushed by something in his rig. It was hilarious watching him trying to pry the thing back into something faintly resembling the 'bread' it was SUPPOSED to be! :grin:

Dang! His name kept slipping everyone's mind. Ski took to calling him Deiter...or fraulein. :wink: Everytime I addressed him, I had to t-h-i-n-k what his name was. He's a good chap.

Pints. BAH! Where'd 'ya pick THAT up from? Why the 'ell arent those LITERS...or even LITRES 'fer heavens sake's???

Consider the source

GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Pints. BAH! Where'd 'ya pick THAT up from? Why the 'ell arent those LITERS...or even LITRES 'fer heavens sake's???
Pint's, well were British, it's an imperial measurment. It's Litres by the way.
My hand's???? Im 6 foot 6, broken hand's that are quite large (boxing, rugby etc etc). Good for carrying thing's but not so dextrous now i'm in my 40's.
Anyway, all that aside. Im off for a kip. TTFN
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Canyncarvr: the ugly american. Be careful, the falling dollar makes being polite more meaningful than just a social exercise. Northwest land may be up for sale again real cheap - soon. Remember when the British and Japanese were buying up everything, about 20+ years ago?

This reminds me that my toolbox still has whitworth tools in it (I owned some kind of British car in the early sixties). Does anyone use those anymore? I know they don't work very well on my KDX. :neutral: I don't have a clue as to what to do with them now.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

So I guess I'm not the only one who has problems communicating with CC. Maybe in that case were (me and greatbritishrob) not the source of the problem. :lol:
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's only been a single pair of perfect footsprints left on the earth...amongst the billions and billions of others. I'm sayin'....1. The numbers of persons that agree with one don't count for diddle, and 2. Two-to-1 ain't even a start (although I know the numbers are certainly MUCH higher than that, thankfully! The LAST place I EVER want to find myself is in agreement with a good number of folk..let alone a LOT of 'em! Not in these environs anyway).

Besides...who's having problems? :hmm: No one of whom I am aware.

I got introduced to Whitworth by a '53 MG-TD. Whitworth...and LUCAS!

Oh...and 3. Whatever the count is....I couldn't care less. I AM out standing in my own field!!

Re: Pint's

Ha!! :mrgreen:

Consider the source