Bike won't start - need more ideas

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Doesn't anybody use "Quick Start". I think it's just ether in a spray can.

Have someone spray in the carb when your kicking it over. Usually fires right up
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I have used Ether, but I avoid it if I can. It makes such high cylinder pressures, and doesn't have any lube in it, you can damage stuff quick with it.
The one exception:Walmart brand ether has more propellant, or other additives, in it than ether. I've got a really old Diesel engine that the injection pump is bad in. It won't develop enough fuel pressure to start at cranking RPMs. Walmart ether helps it start smoothly without any spark knock at all. Other brands knock too much to use it without damage.

Joe
'01 KDX200
jr111

Post by jr111 »

I did what you guys said and it worked! I pulled the tank and rear fender off, pulled the plug out. Flipped the bike over to drain, kicked over a bunch of times. Righted the bike; put it into 4th gear and ran it around the driveway for about 5 minutes. Checked compression...130 psi (money). Poured a teaspoon of fuel down the spark plug hole into the cylinder, replaced plug and wire. Kicked once...and it cranked up for about 5 seconds. Put everything back, added gas and the rest is history. I even did a few victory lapse around the house - wheelies and everything! Neighbors love me. Man, I dig my kdx.

Everyone who took the time to read and make recommendations or comments on this thread...much thanks. It wouldn't have happened without you. If you are ever in Virginia, let me know and I'll show you some bitchin' trails.

Later,
jr
KDX DAD

Post by KDX DAD »

Where in Virginia? I'm in Lynchburg and would love to find new trails to ride.
00 KDX 200 - Me
05 TTR 125 - Son
03 TTR 90- Daughter
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
KDX DAD wrote:Where in Virginia? I'm in Lynchburg and would love to find new trails to ride.
I'm your neighbor. PM me and we can get together...or I can send you some info on trail systems in our area. There are a lot of folks that ride off road and dual sport in Central VA; I know they would be happy to put in their two cents, as well.

jr
igrip

Re: Bike won't start - need more ideas

Post by igrip »

16 years later this site is still relevant and I used the advice given to start my bike today. Thank you.