Bike won't start - need more ideas

Got questions? We got answers....
jr111

Bike won't start - need more ideas

Post by jr111 »

Hi folks -

I'm looking for more ideas on my current bike problem.
Background - my 2002 KDX 220 sat through last riding season (sat for a year) in my shed. Now I can't get it started. I have read posts on how to correct the problem, but no luck. Got any ideas?

This is what I've done:
Drained old fuel out and replaced with fresh premix (93 octane)
Installed new air filter
Removed and cleaned carb
Adjusted air screw and throttle stop screw to stock spec
Installed new spark plug
Confirmed it has spark
and even talked to it nicely

The thing is getting fresh air, fresh fuel and has spark. I'm down right puzzled.
Yes, the gas petcock is turned on when I kick it.
I kick; the engine turns nicely, but doesn't start.
I've tried jumping it down a hill several times.
Little help?

jr
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Your carb may actually be varnished. Pull carb and disassemble, clean, and reassemble. If you have air and spark you are missing fuel to get fire.
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:Your carb may actually be varnished. Pull carb and disassemble, clean, and reassemble. If you have air and spark you are missing fuel to get fire.
I pulled the carb, disassembled it, and cleaned it with carb cleaner. The thing is spic and span.

Like you mentioned fuel, air , spark...pretty straight forward. Thanks for the response.

Any other ideas?

BTW - the plug is wet with fuel after kicking.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Do yuu get any kind of response out of the engine? You may also check your reeds. If it had died while riding I would suggest checking the woodruff key that holds the flywheel. I'll think about it some more.
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:Do yuu get any kind of response out of the engine? You may also check your reeds. If it had died while riding I would suggest checking the woodruff key that holds the flywheel. I'll think about it some more.
Getting no response from the engine. I kick - the engine spins - doesn't even act like it wants to start up. I've tried using no throttle, a little throttle, and full throttle when kicking (all at different times).

I just pulled the exhaust off. No squirrels, rats, snakes, mice or other obstructions. I also pulled off the new air filter - no obstructions before or after the air filter either.

You mentioned the reeds. I haven't messed with them yet. I'll have to breakout the manual to figure out how to work on them. How do I know if there is a problem, and what do I do with them?

Also, had someone tell me to drain the carb float bowl, then kick a few times. If plug still gets wet, I have gas in the crank case...which is flooding the machine. Have you had any experience with this? Also, how do I drain the crank case without splitting it (if it does have gas in it)?

Thanks for helping with this issue.

jr
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

For the crankcase, you could put the piston at the top of the cylinder and then dump it backwards out of the intake :grin:. Just turn off the fuel and kick it over to cycle it through.

The reeds will have a tolerance for gap when installed. You will have to pull the reed block I believe. Otherwise, you may check the flywheel. There is a key that holds the flywheel in position on the shaft. The key is prone to shearing which throws of the timing and means your bike will not fire at the right time.

You could even try a brief shot of ether, though I do not know how well it would work with a 2-stroke, but it could help overcome a flooded engine effect. This is a try it at your own risk though. Start with small squirts and work up a little at a time.

Or I will give you 300.00 for your bike since it doesn't run :grin: :grin: and I'll try to fix it in my spare time.
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:For the crankcase, you could put the piston at the top of the cylinder and then dump it backwards out of the intake :grin:. Just turn off the fuel and kick it over to cycle it through.

The reeds will have a tolerance for gap when installed. You will have to pull the reed block I believe. Otherwise, you may check the flywheel. There is a key that holds the flywheel in position on the shaft. The key is prone to shearing which throws of the timing and means your bike will not fire at the right time.

You could even try a brief shot of ether, though I do not know how well it would work with a 2-stroke, but it could help overcome a flooded engine effect. This is a try it at your own risk though. Start with small squirts and work up a little at a time.

Or I will give you 300.00 for your bike since it doesn't run :grin: :grin: and I'll try to fix it in my spare time.
Ha! No way man - if I sold it, I wouldn't have something to waste all my free time on. :lol:
I'll figure it out. Hopefully without handing it off to the dealer $$$
Thanks for your help. I'll post the fix when it happens.

jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Drain the clutch oil... take the tank off and turn the bike upside down overnight.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Drain the clutch oil... take the tank off and turn the bike upside down overnight.
Will do. Thanks!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
SVandal wrote:Your carb may actually be varnished. Pull carb and disassemble, clean, and reassemble. If you have air and spark you are missing fuel to get fire.
I pulled the carb, disassembled it, and cleaned it with carb cleaner. The thing is spic and span.

[/quote]

What did you use?

This stuff is the BEST!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Here's what I do when faced with such a situation:
Pull the plug and run the thing down the sidewalk/driveway in 3rd or 4th gear to blow out any old fuel buildup in the crankcase (carb drained and fuel off, open throttle). Without compression the bike isn't that hard to push around. Do you have a strong wife or girlfriend? They can push pretty well I've found, and helps build strong well-formed calves.

You may want to take off the tank so you can get to the spark plug easily and quickly. Assuming you have decent compression, and you have spark, pour some fresh fuel (about a teaspoon) into the spark plug hole, then put a dry, good plug in place and kick - it should fire for a few rotations. If it doesn't, it is likely a weak spark or timing problem. Your spark might be too weak to fire under compression - it should be whitish blue. If it does fire up, you know it's an air/ fuel mixture-related problem.

Sometimes twosmokes just need that fresh air blow'n through the crank after they sit for a while (or after a good flooding). :roll:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|QBB|QBB|QBB<[/url]

[/quote]

What did you use?

This stuff is the BEST!
Image[/quote]

If all else fails, I'll pull the carb back off and dunk the beast! Thanks!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

For me thats all I ever need n any of my carb'd bikes

If they dont start they geta soak
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:Here's what I do when faced with such a situation:
Pull the plug and run the thing down the sidewalk/driveway in 3rd or 4th gear to blow out any old fuel buildup in the crankcase (carb drained and fuel off, open throttle). Without compression the bike isn't that hard to push around. Do you have a strong wife or girlfriend? They can push pretty well I've found, and helps build strong well-formed calves.

You may want to take off the tank so you can get to the spark plug easily and quickly. Assuming you have decent compression, and you have spark, pour some fresh fuel (about a teaspoon) into the spark plug hole, then put a dry, good plug in place and kick - it should fire for a few rotations. If it doesn't, it is likely a weak spark or timing problem. Your spark might be too weak to fire under compression - it should be whitish blue. If it does fire up, you know it's an air/ fuel mixture-related problem.

Sometimes twosmokes just need that fresh air blow'n through the crank after they sit for a while (or after a good flooding). :roll:
Cool. Thanks for the input; will do. Oh yeah - the wife is strong, but an additional calf workout never hurts.
mudsplasher
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by mudsplasher »

If you want to maintain a good relationship with your wife, don't do like I did and use the Chem Dip in the dining room. Man does that stuff stink!
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I Second what Kawaguby says. For whatever reason a little extra fuel in the plug of a small engine fires them off when nothing else works. MAybe the reeds are a little sticky, maybe the craking speed is just to slow....whatever. As long as there's nothing else wrong, a little fuel in the spark plug hole will probably fix your troubles.
Joe
'01 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

+1 for berrymans!!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

I'm guessing you would need to remove all rubber bits and o-rings before soaking in that stuff?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Get that bastard started yet???? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jr111

Post by jr111 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Get that bastard started yet???? :neutral:
Had to slave late today...maybe get a chance tomorrow. If all else fails, I'm off on Friday :supz:

I'll update when she's all fired up!...and when I get the bike started, too. :mrgreen: