Help - Float Height

Got questions? We got answers....
bozzwoldo

Help - Float Height

Post by bozzwoldo »

Can anybody help with the correct float height on my KDX250D1. It's got a 38mm PWK carb. I'm guessing 16mm +/- 1mm. Anybody out there can help???

Cheers

:rolleyes:
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

the way i do it on any carb is turn it upside down and adjust until the little seam that runs up the middle of the floats is parallel to the carb bowl flange.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Is the carb behaving badly and that's why you want to reset the carb float height? I'm guessing that there is a peeing problem, and if so, make sure the float needle seat is sealing right first. It is possible to resurface the face of this thing, check with CC if that is the problem. On my PWK, I set the float level way lower than "correct" height. Now I can lean the bike over on it's kick stand with the gas on and not have a stream flowing.
Changing the float level to a lower setting could cause a couple of side affects:
1. It could lean out the overall jetting since the fuel has a longer ways to travel against gravity via the vaccum pull upon it. It isn't much and you would really have a tough time discerning the change, but it would be there.
2. If your bike uses LOTS of fuel, it might starve out by emptying the bowl faster than the float needle could allow fuel to enter. On a KDX, I just don't think that's going to happen.
I just wanted to mention these possible affects. Good luck with setting the float height.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: ' turn it upside down and adjust ...'

That's problematic.

Well...you didn't mention the spring pin. ' turn it upside down and adjust ' will get you an out of spec (low) float level.

But, no. I have no idea what the float level is for your bike. The mold line idea is probably correct...but don't let the floats depress the spring pin. Adjust to 'just touches.'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bozzwoldo

Post by bozzwoldo »

Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The float height at the moment seems to be about 25mm. I have measured this by taking the float chamber bowl off and turning the carb upside down. The measurement is when the tang on the float assembly just touches the fdloat needle. It just seems a little excessive.
Sorry :rolleyes: to bother you with this one but finding info on the 250D1 is a nightmare in the UK. It seems it was not a popular bike in the US either.