Bought a pumpkin...

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Bought a pumpkin...

Post by wanaride »

After five years with the KDX200 I wanted something different. I found a 2006 250XCW for sale over at KTMTalk and I took the plunge. Impressions...

The bike is basically the same size as my KDX, but when I sit on it, the KTM feels smaller. The KTM is also much easier to roll around the garage in neutral (less drag for some reason that I can't explain).

I have only had the bike on a small MX track and on a small trail loop behind my house thus far, but I think the KTM is simply amazing. It isn't fair to compare the power to my KDX because the motors are so different, but the KTM has no real hit at all, and that is with the aggressive red power valve spring installed. The power builds strongly but it is extremely controllable with the throttle, and there is no real hit to speak of. This surprised me a lot but there is no question which bike has more power; you can feel this even at idle.

The KTM owners manual recommends a range of 40:1 to 60:1, but I'm running 32:1 (Amsoil Interceptor) and even with very low speed lugging in the woods, there is practically zero spooge on the S/A and very little smoke. The previous owner moved the clip up two positions on the needle, but that is the only jetting change the bike has. This bike is still on the stock plug!!

The suspension is the biggest area of surprise for me. I did not know a dirtbike could feel like this. I am too heavy for the springs on this bike and I haven't set the sag yet, but it still feels sooooo much better than the resprung/revalved setup on my KDX (KX forks in front). I may just leave the suspension alone and ride it as is.

How does the seat feel, you ask? Well, even with the aftermarket soft foam the previous owner installed, it still isn't as comfortable as the KDX. It must have to do with the shape of the seat; it is much pointier on the KTM.

And for those who say the KTMs are only good for racing, I don't see that either. I've lugged around the woods with my small kids on their bikes, and I had no problems on the 250XCW.

So, it is still early days for me and the KTM, but I like what I'm seeing so far. My only regret is that I waited this long to do it. The KDX is a great bike and I might miss it someday, but I haven't even cranked it up since I got the KTM.

I plan to sell my KDX200 to help pay for the KTM, so if you know anyone who is interested in a KDX, just let me know. Shipping the bike is a possibility too; I had the KTM shipped to me and I'm now familiar with the process. (I plan to strip off the aftermarket goodies, including the KX fork setup, and sell them separately.)
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Good feedback, nice to know they can be mellow bikes.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

hey wanaride............if you are parting the bike out i'll buy the complete rear wheel (wheel,rotor.and hub)
JUST RIDE !!!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

feels more powerful at idle? "easier to roll around the garage"?

Uh, it's a 250...ever get on a YZ or KX 250? No, it is not fair or meaningful to compare.

Heresy, plain and simple. :mrgreen:

I just went jamm'n on my KDX this afternoon. I was think'n how good the thing handled the ultra-nasty dry, overgrown rutted-out trail crap I took it through, and I was think'n how it still is the best trail bike I've ever owned. KTM...phttt. :twisted:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yes, I've ridden a YZ250 and KX250. I realize the engine comparison between a 250 anything and a KDX200 is unfair, thus the disclaimer in my original post. I did think it worthwhile to mention that the 250XCW does not have a light-switch hit.

I'm just passing on my observations, and the smallish feel of the bike did impress me. As did everything else about it.

There is one downside to the KTM...I will have to remove the tank to change the plug. Oh well.

Ride what makes you happy!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

For sure...
Hey, I'm just ribb'n ya.
Have fun with that uh, what was it again? :wink:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Too bad they don't come in better colors :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

But they do . . . black, white, and gray.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yeah, the orange isn't too sexy, but I'm trying to overlook that... :wink:

Wibby, considering the sex appeal of that Strom of yours, I didn't think you were too hung up on appearances? :lol:

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

To each his own

My lil Miss Vee, with over 56,000miles on the clock, is a damn fine looking machine :wink:

There's not another Adventure Bike out there that I'd rather own and ride

She prolly see's more dirt per day than many dirtbikes on this site :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
Jeb wrote:But they do . . . black, white, and gray.

And PINK!!!

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:There is one downside to the KTM...I will have to remove the tank to change the plug. Oh well.

What if you have to change a plug out on the trail?
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

If it fouls on the trail, I'm screwed! :shock:

I've heard from some guys who could change a plug on the trail but they said getting the plug cap back on was a monumental PITA. The consensus seems to be that it is easier to change it at home when you can take the tank off. I'm hoping that the jetting is as good as I've heard, otherwise I better not ride far from the truck...

And Wibby, I wish I had the balls (and cash) to have a bike to ride on the street. I'm just too worried (scared?) about the people around me that wouldn't see me on a street bike. 56k miles? Wow. I'm guessing you ride it year round. I've actually came close to buying a Strom on more than one occasion. Maybe someday...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
Jeb wrote:But they do . . . black, white, and gray.

And PINK!!!

Image[/quote]

Greatest. Picture. Ever. Have fun with the 250. I'm yet to ride one of those, just a 200xcw and a 300xcw. Both felt a little like goldielocks and the three bears. This ones too small. This ones too big. Still looking for that one thats just right...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I've ridden the 06, 07 and 08 200 XC and XC-w. I'm not sure what I think about them. I always feel a lot better when I get back on my KDX. My riding buddies are on KTM's (125, 200's and a 300) and they aren't really any faster then me on my KDX. If the trail is really rough and tight I can outpace them. I can't wait until I build my hybrid. I'm keeping the headlight. I wish there was some way to also keep that big, ugly/beautiful KDX rear fender.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Any way to keep the stock KDX odo? If you ride enduro's it would be handy, I miss mine. Hey, have you bought season tickets for the Sonics, err, I mean the Okies yet?
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'She prolly see's more dirt per day than many dirtbikes on this site'

I really doubt that.

The 'prolly' part, I mean.

Wibby's way home on a hiway is maybe 30 miles. His long way homes on his Wee are pushin' 200..most of it dirt.

He didn't get that odo number with a drill motor overnight on his speedo cable.

(that being a figure of speech..him not HAVING an odo cable..I think.).

That's pretty in pink! What kind'a pink punkin is that?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

***HI-JACk***

Almost laid the Big Ol Girl down yesterday

Front end washed out in a corner (I was riding dirt/gravel)

Put my right foot down (BIG MISTAKE) right saddle bag ate me leg for dinner!

Ended up having to grab a big ol twist of throttle and she pulled right out of it.... sideways! :supz:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
saddletramp wrote:Any way to keep the stock KDX odo? If you ride enduro's it would be handy, I miss mine. Hey, have you bought season tickets for the Sonics, err, I mean the Okies yet?

Sorry about the Super Sonics Saddletramp. Those guys (Bennett and McClendon) are oil and gas guys that play hard ball. I think everyone knows they weren't going to leave the team in Seattle. The previous owner and Seattle officials really made a bunch of mistakes and underestimated who they were dealing with. Personally I would have rather us started fresh with an expansion team. I'm not much of a b-ball fan. I never went to a single Hornets game. I'll probably go to one of these just to say I have been to one. I don't even know if they have picked a new name yet. I'm glad they left the old name with Seattle, though, in case Seattle gets another team.

I had to scrap the stock ODO when I put a KX front end on my bike. I bought an Endurance computer.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

It's all good, I could care less really
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80