Bought a pumpkin...

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I love how a KTM thread always gets lots of attention.

I really think a lot has to do with terrain. After 2 KTM's, I like the KDX220 for the tight, steep, nasty, wet stuff here in Oregon. The advantages of the KDX220 are its torque for climbing, its soft suspension to soak up rocks, roots, etc. at slow speed, its short rake for tight turning, and its durability.

I have only ridden the 200exc's and 300exc's, so I couldn't tell you how a 250 compares. I would love to try one though. The 200's I owned were a ton of fun in the open terrain for sure. They are also supper light and slim so you can toss them around. But, there is stuff that my 220 gets up and over that my KTM200 couldn't do. The 300's I've ridden have the torque, but you have to have a steady throttle hand in tight woods or else you get into trouble quick.

The price is also a factor for sure. Not too many great woods machines for under $3K.

Hope you enjoy your new ride, and keep us posted with ride reports.
'
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Price? $3850 used. I could have gotten an older one for cheaper but I wanted THAT bike.

I did some trail riding with the kids this weekend. This was the first time I've had the KTM in the woods, and I was very impressed. The power, handling and suspension were confidence inspiring. I felt better on this bike on my first trail ride than I ever felt on my KDX200. It could all be in my head, of course, but it sure felt real.

I need to play with the fork clickers to get the rebound a wee bit faster, but it is close to what I want with the stock settings. I don't know how the weight compares but the bike felt very light and flickable as the trail switched back and forth. The KTM made me feel like a hero! The bike would lug all day, and when you wanted more power it was there in abundance, but it was sooo controllable. Even with the "aggressive" power valve spring, the bike was totally controllable with no noticeable hit. The wider gear spacing with the XCW allowed me to keep it in second gear for most of the day. Not once did I think I was in over my head with this bike.

Yep, just like you thought, the KTM sucked... :lol:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was the same way about my KTM... I wanted to justify in my head that the 3K I just laid down was worth it. After a sore ass... super stiff suspension and the kicker of looping the thing out really really bad... I came to the conclusion that I was in over my head in the woods and sold it to get a KDX.

I have never looked back. But this is my experience and I am happy that the bike is working out for you... you deserve it! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

It's not that you were over your head, Inda. I think they just don't have the same smooth, controlable powerband as the KDX. I rode a friend's KTM300 this weekend. The power delivery sucked. It must have been jetted wrong or something because it was like a 125...nothing on bottom...let the revs build and then...wham there it goes.

We rode on a really rough, technical trail later that day and he did struggle with it on some of the hill climbs. By the end of the ride I was challenging myself to see if I could ride up the steep sections without breaking the rear wheel loose. The KTM's were spinning wildly.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yeah it was jetted wrong. I've ridden the 300 and really liked the motor, almost electric inpower delivery. I really hated everything else about it though. Perfect bike for me would be a KTM 300 motor in a YZ 125 frame. Might not last long , but wow, what a combo.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I'll second Colorado's Mike comment on the 300 motor and the probable poor jetting. 'Rode one last year, 'like having an electric motor. A very STRONG electric motor.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I will say, that the prices of used KTM's has come down quite a bit lately. There is an '06 250XCW locally for $3K. A year or two ago '99 and '00's were going for that price.

I will stick with the KDX though. It fits my needs just fine.
'
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's all about recreation. If you are having fun on your bike, then why change? I'm sure carvr is of that thought. If anyone could ever wear out a KDX, it would be that guy. His is still strong as ever!

A KDX is the woods weapon for the recreational rider as well as the aspiring competitor. It'll take you from that vacant field down at the end of the street, to the trophy podium at any enduro out there. How ever much you put into that KDX, you are going to get back out.

Sure wish we could swap out wimmen like we do bikes... wanna see if you got a good one, just go try one out. Bikes, not wimmen. They don't like us to do that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

A woman who lets you buy whatever bike you want is pretty good tho. Best of both worlds. :grin:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Lets you buy?

Mine bought the KDX for me in the first place!

Did I mention I got a trials tire for Idaho?.... :hmm:

:lol:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

CC, which trials tire did you get?

Make sure to give us a report on how it does.

I'm still waiting on my back ordered MT43 :cry:
'
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Lets you buy?

Mine bought the KDX for me in the first place!

:lol:
Nirvana...attained. I am humbled. :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:wink:

I just brought it up to make ski happy..he's SO concerned that my lil 200 be prepared as best it can for Sawtooth conditions.........

This thread has taken a turn or two.....

Anyway..the guide guy (no1clyde) said he has one bike with a trials tire..one with some kind'a Maxxis or other. He said it got pretty rocky there. I got to looking at a brand new M5B..all the space between the knobs..thinking of rocks getting crammed between the knobs, then getting tossed..and the resulting bump and loss of traction.

So I got the ONE not knobby 18" tire they had..and that at the third shop I asked. It's a Kenda 270. Yeah...not really a trials tire at all...but SSHHsshhhhhhh...don't tell ski that!

There are DR650 riders that have used 'em for 5000 miles and still have 50% tread. They are supposedly pretty darn good traction..unless it's wet. Which is pretty much what you would expect considering the tread pattern.

Pushing a knob on the M5B is like trying to move a 3/4" stub of rebar sticking out of Grand Coulee. On the Kenda..it smushes all over the place.

Sorry about the technical terms. I'm not really TRYing to talk over everyone's head yanno............ I've been told my communication skills are pretty crummy........... :rolleyes:

I'll be taking my brandy-new M5B along just in case.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote::wink:

I just brought it up to make ski happy..he's SO concerned that my lil 200 be prepared as best it can for Sawtooth conditions.........
Lil 200 goes more places his puny lil 250 ever will :lol:

canyncarvr wrote: So I got the ONE not knobby 18" tire they had..and that at the third shop I asked. It's a Kenda 270. Yeah...not really a trials tire at all...but SSHHsshhhhhhh...don't tell ski that!

There are DR650 riders that have used 'em for 5000 miles and still have 50% tread. They are supposedly pretty darn good traction..unless it's wet. Which is pretty much what you would expect considering the tread pattern.
I think most DR650 tend to be full of **** most of the time
I think 3000 miles tops is about the norm
canyncarvr wrote:
I'll be taking my brandy-new M5B along just in case.
Good thing :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Can't expect too much out of a 'Zook dirt bike... :wink: Not to piss in anyone's cheerios, but I always hated their dirt stuff, and the DR's seemed especially junky. On their other side, Wib loves his V-Strom, and their sport bikes are good going all the way back to the 70's... :supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project