Clutch noise...

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Clutch noise...

Post by Indawoods »

I know...I know... but I gotta know!

My clutch sounds like a drum roll idling in neutral... pull it in and you can still hear it just not as bad.

I completely tore it apart tonight and I cannot find out whats wrong... is the basket warped possibly? It actually just sounds like the plates hitting back and forth on the basket. I can't find any wear on the basket though. Could it be the plates out of tolerance or weak springs?

It's really kinda driving me nuts listening to it... :evil:

And I don't think I'm ready for a automatic Ski! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You running the whole quart of oil in the tranny?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup! Always have... after I put it back together ..it seemed quieter. Proly my imagination....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Mine and my brothers both make that noise. I think it is just a KDX trait.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 92 had a similar noise...just not as loud and that's what I was used too. I may take the basket into a machinist and have him check it for balance and trueness or pick up a Hinson cheap.... yeah....RIGHT!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Ah, the dreaded rattling of the clutch. :? I'm pushing 1800 miles of extremely sloppy riding of single track on my '03 (with the original clutch :shock: ) and it has made that noise from day one. Some days it sounds louder than others.

My fix:

I put my helmet on, start the bike, and then just start riding (I've decided to never start the bike w/o my helmet on)....I never hear that noise and totally forget that it even makes it. :lol: la la la la la la la la la la la...I can't hear you!

By the way...if you find that cheap Hinson, please let us all know where!

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Good one Robb, it's not a problem if you can't hear it :lol:

My solution is to try and ride with someone who has a louder bike than mine!
:wink:
would have been concerned with my 04 if I hadn't heard an H model rattle.
My old 88 KDX had half a million miles on the bottom end and the original clutch. :rolleyes: Last time my brother (current owner of the 88) went riding the 88 was more quiet than my 04 :eek:

Has anyone isolated the noise? Is it the clutch or tranny, bottom end or a combo of all?
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

dave04kdx wrote:
Has anyone isolated the noise? Is it the clutch or tranny, bottom end or a combo of all?

I'm pretty sure it is the clutch because when you pull the clutch in the noise gets quieter(at least on mine).
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's the clutch.... No reason why it should be so noisy. If I can fix it... I am going to make it a business! Should make a fortune! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clutch noise...

Post by skipro3 »

Indawoods wrote:And I don't think I'm ready for a automatic Ski! :lol:
Gee, mine doesn't rattle. But Doug's does on his KX500. I think it's his pipe and not his clutch though.

If you get an auto clutch, then ride it until you feel it is instictive, (about 4 or 5 rides) Then put on the hand operated rear brake. That will also take a few rides to get used to. After that, your riding will be so improved AND no one else will want to ride your bike!!! I let guys try mine and they get scared because their muscle memory is all wrong for this setup. HA!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: cheap Hinson.

Don't think 'cheap' happens...but do keep in mind that when you buy a Hinson basket, you do NOT get the assembly that includes the gear and it's little mounting rubbers.

I think Mr. Ron takes Hinsons and puts them together with your hardware...or may use his own ....I'm not sure about that. Anyway, if you're leery of drilling out rivets on the oem basket and messing with the 'lil rubbers...there are options.

Inda: Consider yourself unusual if you haven't heard this racket all the time. Maybe now you can consider yourself 'normal' like the rest of us!

Nah! THAT couldn't happen!!! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've heard it... but it seems it's gonna jump outta the case compared to the 92....

P.S... What rubbers?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Little washer iso-mount thingys between the plate (gear) and the basket.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Think that could be the problem? :lol:

they are not in my exploded view in the manual...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I tore apart my clutch again tonight and found that it was assembled incorrectly from the git go... This time I assembled it by the book.

Problem 1. The last clutch plate was not in the offset grooves.

Problems 2. The inside rings outside edge of the two last rings to be installed was pointing outside instead of to the inside. (hope that makes sense?)

Problem 3. Last thrust washer was installed backwards.

Possible Problem 4. The washer that goes under the throw-out assembly is a little bitty diameter washer instead of the substantial washer shown in the manual...
anyone take note of this?
Possibly throwing off the tolerance causing the noise? The actuating rod moves up and down a little while the bike is running... making me think something is wacked... I gotta figure it out... I've done everything else to the bike... I need a problem to solve!! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GregS

Post by GregS »

Late chime-in again... I searched on 'clutch noise' and found this thread.

Here's what I'm experiencing: If I rev hard and take off (e.g. aggressive quick climb or speed burst), I'll sometimes get a loud 'chirp' or squeel. Very brief. Actually, it sounds a bit like a bad fan belt on a car -- but a very short version (thus calling it a 'chirp').

I was hoping that it was normal when I saw this thread heading, but maybe not... Gosh I'd love to ride a relatively new KDX to see how it compares to mine. I really have no baseline.