IR 231 C - decent impact gun??

Got questions? We got answers....
crf_kdx

IR 231 C - decent impact gun??

Post by crf_kdx »

My CH 1/2" impact gun is toast . . . even new it lacked any real punch. After some reading and price chasing on the www I'm thinking about buying an Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2" impact gun. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this or any other model air impact wrench? The IR 231 seems to be a "classic" but I'm curious to know if I should be considering something else too. BTW, I am limited by a 4.5HP compressor with a 20 gallon tank rated at 6.2 SCFM @ 90 psi. ((I know - that's not much of a compressor!!) Amazon has one of the better prices for a new unit:

Pros/Cons appreciated . . . thanks for any and all input!

Kirk
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have a CH that is pathetic. I can out torque it with a 12" bar, let alone a 24". You got me thinking I need one of these units. Then I can use the CH as a door stop or sumpin.

The Amazon reviews on the IR are all positive.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've bought and returned two air impact guns. I just don't have a suitable air compressor at 5 hp and 20 gallon tank and 90 PSI.

For occasional use I'm thinking of going electric. Not battery, 120 VAC. I was over a buddy's house and he has one and it appeared to be very effective.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

IR makes great stuff...buy with confidence :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wow. It's a 1200ft/lb wrench? And for $100 or so? :shock:

I've always been impressed with Ingersoll Rand stuff..and it's always been too pricey for me. This one looks to be a winner!

I don't readily see the specs on the wrench. If it's rated at 10SCFM@90psi, obviously it won't perform to spec for you, given your compressor size.

Still...likely good enough, I'd bet.

If you get one...post a write-up about it!

What's 'CH'? Chicago? I wouldn't take one'a those off the shelf if it was free.

Want your compressor to suck (they're supposed to blow yanno)!!?? Even a 240V 10+SCFM unit?

Run one'a those stoopid 1/4" coiled hoses out about 40'.

If you're running anything less than 1/2"..and that at more than 15' or so, do yourself a favor and get a REAL hose!

Go to an air shop..an outfit that makes hoses for a living..have them make you a good, free-flow fitting, oil resistant hose. It will make a HUGE difference on any hi SCFM sucker tool.

..I have a Craftsman wrench:

It's only a 400 pounder, but it's worked well enough for me. I like the hi-speed tight/low torque setting that gets things snugged up quick.

Air tools are great! ..and bad ones (not up to snuff) are lousy!!

Tell us how you like it!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:19 pm Aug 05 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

RE: "What's 'CH'? Chicago? "

Cambell Hose-feeled
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh.

You mean the most excellent peoples what manufactured my stellar (not to mention wonderful, marvelous, and stupendous) compressor?

Compresser...whatever it is.......

Got your Ingersoll-Rand ordered yet?

Consider the source

JoeR

Post by JoeR »

The IR guns are nice. The IR231s are a work horse. They're not the highest output, but you really only need that for bragging rights anyway. If you buy that gun and don't overly abuse it, it will be the last gun you'd ever need to buy. It is unlikely that you'll wear it out, unless you worked full time in a tire shop or something like that.

Joe
'01 KDX200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The torque spec on that Rigid is interesting.

It's...uh....ummmm....oh. It doesn't have one.

Well...it IS the best in its class. What IS its class? Impact wrenches with a Rigid name that plug in.

Now THAT is NEAT!

Did you have to offer notarized proof that you ride an autofutched bike to get that?

:hmm:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Boy are you ever gonna be surprised when you pull up to that address in Bend and it's a vacant field.

Features:
• Heavy duty drive train with hardened steel gears
• 8.5 Amp motor generates max torque of 450 ft-lbs
• Impacts per minute: 1,640 / 2,440
• 12 foot all rubber cord with built-in cord wrap
• Includes carry case
Last edited by skipro3 on 09:17 am Aug 07 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

I have the same gun as Carver which is made by Ingersol Rand for Sears. Got it for bout a hunert bucks off ..bay. I also have one of the CH that came with my aircompressor and it was a real joke won't even take off a lug nut. I've had good luck with the craftsman impact gun geting out crankshaft bolts. It has definitely been worth the money.
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The 1200 figure is for blows per minute, not torque. ya gotta pay attention to to puncture ation. I ordered one this morning. We'll see if it's up to the task of removing the seat belt bolt in my kid's blazer. If so, maybe it is 1200 ft/lbs.
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm:

Obviously it's not a 1200ft/lb wrench. I have no idea where I got that from..as looking again I don't even see a 'blows-per-minute' figure:

Air Inlet NPTF: 1/4 in.
Av. Air Consumption: 119 l/min (4.2 cfm)
Sound: 102/115 dBA (Pressure/Power)
Performance Rating: Super Duty
Maximum Torque: 180 ft.-lb. (245 Nm)
Anvil Size: 3/8 in.
Free Speed: 10,000 (rpm)
Min. Hose Size: 3/8 in (10 mm)
@ Load: 311 l/min (11 cfm)
Length: 6 in (152 mm)
Weight: 2.89 lbs (1.31 kg

Damn!! I hate being stupid. I'm ignorant a lot of the time...but I do hate being stupid.

Uh....does 11cfm at load mean it takes 11cfm to get 180ft/lb out of it?

80elk: So..that's an IR-made Crapsman tool? Neat!! Now I like it even better!!

Just kidding about Craftsman. I have/use Craftsman tools. I've used Mac, Snap-on..the GOOD tools..and I don't like 'em at ALL. The last thing I want in my hand is some highly polished (slick'er-n hell when greasy) tool. And ratchets with no retainer release? Are you kidding!!?? I look at the price of Snap-on stuff and just shake my head. I wouldn't buy the stuff if it was 1/2 Craftsman price. I think that people that use that stuff have phallic issues. 'Look at me. I'm a stud! I have SNAP-ON tools!!)

And a brain the size of a grain of sand??

To each his own.

Thanks for the correction! Please do post the Blazer result!

Hey..that kind'a wavy looking hard 'puddle' of stuff around that bolt head? That's a WELD. You need the oxy/acy/impact combo for that job.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

you cirrus?? I didn't sea any weld around the bolt head, but it sure axe like that's the case.
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Nah! I don't know that to be the case...just sayin' if that's what you see, that's the problem.

Obviously, you would've noticed that first off. Those things generally go either through the floor pan or a so-called 'frame rail' on a unibody..which I don't know that a Blazer is or isn't. Older ones were framed..bet the new ones aren't.

Point is..a decent wrench will put out enough poop to damage a unibody floor pan.

Why do you want your kid running around without a seat belt anyway? :hmm: Does he know about it! Is this a plan to get him out of the house....for good? :shock:

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Nah, but my plans to get him out are proving ineffective, so this one does have it's appeal. Right now he's wondering how the Marine recruiter got his name and contact info.

The reason for trying to remove the bolt is simply because a dog ate his seatbelt. I guess the homework appetizer led to more costly fare. So, I buys a new seatbelt foolishly thinking the payment would be the most painful part. Many hours of frustration and broken tools spent trying to get that infernal bolt out have proven me wrong. It's actually the front passenger side, so he's safe. and on his limited license, he's not supposed to have any passengers except adults. which in our family would limit it to his mother. :shock: ..hmm... :twisted:

Anyway. '94 s-10 Blazer, has a frame, but the seat belt bolt goes through the floor into a goofy flange spot-welded to the underside of the floorpan, not the frame. The bolt head is a big Torx socket, and so far I've broken a few drivers on it. about ready to either cut the head off and hope the shaft will release, or fully insure the POS, and either burn it to the ground, or build a gitanic trebuchet and fling it in the direction of the Democratic convention.
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Dang...when I have to look up words used on this forum....
Learn sumthin' every day!!

BTW...
Seeing as you (Colorado..maybe just Denver) have just decided it is now ILLEGAL to carry urine or feces in a container (in anticipation of the upcoming mentioned convention 'fer sure) don't be using your trebuchet to fling any'a THAT in that direction, neither.

:grin:

You weld stuff, don't 'ya? Tag a nut on the top of that torx that you can put some FORCE on.

Bet they used a thread locker. Have you put any heat to it?

In any case, I'd like to hear how it works out.

Consider the source

crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

I ordered the IR 231C from Amazon tonight - $107 with tax. The electric impact clearly has some merits and gave me pause for a few days. Thanks for all the input here folks!! I've come to trust the folks who frequent this www site and appreciate the willingness to jump in with useful thoughts.

Btw, as an aside, for those of you who are tool junkies there is an interesting www site that is worth checking out at

http://www.garagejournal.com/

I tend to lurk there some in the General Tool Discussion within The Board. However, I haven't lurked there long enough to know who puts out good advice and who is just blowing hot air. Warning: The site seems to have a Snap On bias . . . that's all well and good but Craftsman has served me (and my budget!) well all my adult life.

Again, thanks for the input . . . I'm ordering the IR gun with confidence!!
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Btw, Colorado Mike - sorry for spending some of your money too! :-) I hope this new toy serves us both well.
~ William Trogdon

2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)