Bike revs outta control

Got questions? We got answers....
billys04kdx200

Bike revs outta control

Post by billys04kdx200 »

Went riding last weekend and as we came outta some vines and back onto a road my bike just started to rev out. I killed it immediatly. I have taken the carb off checked the throttle tube and cable for anything stuck in it and all appears to be fine. Now when i try to put the carb back on the cable seems to be to short. And the slide isn't sitting all the way down in the carb, stays up about a 1/4 of an inch, when i do get it attached. Not sure if it was like this when i took it off, but when i put it on after getting it back from RB it sat all the way down. Cable is routed correctly and not binding, slides in the casing smoothly. Any suggestions?
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

billys04kdx200,

It kind of sounds like the throttle cable got yanked in the vines you were riding in. This may have stretched the outer cable housing or may have even kinked it.

You may want to take the tank off and inspect the cable and it routing. Also check and make sure the cable is plugged into the clip on the cable adjuster on the carb it self.

Ron
september9

Post by september9 »

RBD has it right I think. My throttle cable just about got cut through last week and I didn't catch it soon enough. The cable got frayed really bad. I gave it gas and it got stuck in the cable housing just like you are describing. If it doesn't move freely, get a new cable. It is not worth the risk.
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Did you take off the curved adapter on top of the carb cap?

Real good chance for wear there..cuz the metal of the cable is rubbing directly on the metal of the adapter. If you don't remove the cable from the adapter altogether (take the clip in the adapter out) there's a good chance you'll never see the problem.

Otherwise, if all seems well..take the cap of the throttle housing to make sure something didn't get stuck up there when you had the carb off.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
billys04kdx200

Post by billys04kdx200 »

Thanks guys. It was under the rubber boot up on the throttle housing. The casing was pulled out of the adjuster causing it to pull on the cable in turn causing the slide to come up enough to make it scream when started. Already ordered a new cable. Figured i wanna be safe then sorry. Thanks again and hope everyone has a safe riding season.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A btw at this point..call this 'for future reference'......

You know you likely have a cable housing hangup someplace when your throttle freeplay is gone. Your cable gets 'too short' all of a sudden (like you noted).

A worn/frayed cable will generally get you a change in pull force..and return action. If the cable is sticking due to a fray or some other friction point..you will likely have more freeplay (than normal) because the slide will be held up. Any cable that is frayed will be longer than one that's not 'cuz not all the strands will be wrapped around each other any more. Your cable will seem 'too long'.

Good idea to replace cables once in awhile. Seems to me, anyway. I replace throttle and clutch every couple years, then put the ones I take OUT in my gear bag.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:42 am Jul 25 2008, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
chadmasterc

Post by chadmasterc »

out of gas? If the bike is in neutral and runs out of gas it will rev up really high before dieing out.
billys04kdx200

Post by billys04kdx200 »

Thanks CC. If you are ever in TN drinks are on me.

Chad it had plenty in it, and mine never revs up when it is out, it just bogs down. Thanks though.

RBD, thanks for waking my kdx up.