Fuel Tank Reserve Capacity

Got questions? We got answers....
rdsrf

Fuel Tank Reserve Capacity

Post by rdsrf »

Just out of curiosity.....Does anyone know how much fuel is left in a stock KDX 220 tank when you hit reserve? Searched on here, the net, and in my service manual but so far no luck. Thanks in advance!
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jaydollar »

i am not sure how much it holds either. you could probly un hook your fuel line from the carb with the gas off and put the hose in a gas can and turn to on,not reserve,and wait till it stops flowing.bike should be level,not on kick stand,and in a well ventilated area.then have a clean empty 2 liter soda bottle handy to put the hose in and turn to reserve,let that flow till it stops and it should be bone dry. use your ratio rite or other measuring cup to see how many ounces are in that.i am guessing between 32 to 45 ounces,good luck,j$.
1999 kdx 220
rb carb, rb head pump gas mod. 607 reeds, airbox lid drilled
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
trail tech endurance computer
13/49 gear
alistair

Post by alistair »

aparently its 3 litres or .8us gallons

its in the lil' green owners manual :grin:
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Thanks for looking that up! Wish I had that owner's manual....I bet there's some other good bits of info in there.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't count on the non-US spec to be the same as your bike. I'm not saying I know them to be different..just that many other things are. Lots of assumptions have been made from SR info to US bikes..and they end up being wrong.

Measuring it is your best bet, as already said. Simple enough to do. Besides, what spec says and what YOU got ain't necessarily the same. Maybe there was a shortage on riser nubbins that week..and your main tube is a bit short.

And beside THAT....the amount of fuel matters little when considering how far it will TAKE you. Fuel consumption varies hugely..so knowing you have 'x' amount of fuel isn't terribly helpful.

Anecdotally..my fuel consumption has varied from 20-some miles to over 80 miles...on a tank.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

Good points.

The next time I'm in the garage for a couple of hours I'll multi-process and measure what the reserve is. I've got a couple of extra gas cans and some fuel line.

Thanks for the input.
alistair

Post by alistair »

i think nz bikes are the same,our speedos in miles even though we use kilometers down here..so im picking there the same,

offroad only,NOT regestable..
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That you say 'speedos' makes my point. There are no 'speedos' on US KDXs.

And you (I think it was) know of the differences in the two 'models' having run up against it with your water pump replacement. Now...why would the water pumps be different? But...they are.

Besides, I'm not arguing that the two volumes are different OR the same...just that I wouldn't believe anything I read about them, especially when it's a simple thing to simply measure what I've got.

Consider the source

alistair

Post by alistair »

i havent touched the waterpump,

sorry by speedo i meant trip meter

ohwell...
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

SRs generally have speedos, too.

Some NZ rider had water pump problems. cspawn maybe? Seems he got US parts and they had pretty much nothing to do with what was in his bike. Something akin to that.

No matter how you slice it or what you call it, any bike not bought in the US is likely different in all sorts of ways. Quite a number of times questions have been asked about something or other...and after a few pages of US riders trying to figure out what's going on (and not getting it figured)...it's found that the bike is an overseas version.

Consider the source

rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

I finally got around to checking the reserve capacity of my 2000 KDX 220.

With the bike sitting in a vertical position on the bike stand, I first drained with the petcock in the "on" position. When it stopped, I switched to an empty gas can and drained in the "res" position. I then put the bike on the sidestand to see if there was any difference....Just a few drops if any.

FWIW, as measured with my ratio rite, I got 92 fluid ounces or .71 gallons.
jaydollar
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jaydollar »

i was a bit off on my guess.i was only half way there on my high number.i will try it on mine later to see if two bikes across the country are the same.j$.
1999 kdx 220
rb carb, rb head pump gas mod. 607 reeds, airbox lid drilled
fmf torque pipe
fmf turbine core Q
trail tech endurance computer
13/49 gear