reusing the head gasket

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

reusing the head gasket

Post by Ondatrail »

I remember hearing about a way to reuse a head gasket on this site. Does anyone recall how to do it?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Copper gasket coating.... works perfectly.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Inda, how do you apply it? Let it dry for an hour then torque it?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Spray it on both sides... let it dry, install as usual.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

That makes more sense :doh: I originally bought the paste and it got everywhere thanks :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Maybe too late...but I'd suggest cleaning the spray off of the areas of the gasket that block coolant flow. The gasket has round holes that cover considerably larger coolant passages. Use KopperKote (used to be a common name gasket sealant by Permatex, I think...don't see that used as the name for Permatex anymore) and you will end up with flecks of copper in your coolant when the exposed sprayed areas are subject to coolant.

I don't know that's a problem, but I don't want to see bits of metal stuck on my rad cap seal..and that's one place it ends up. Common-sensically, how are pieces of metal stuck at a sealing point going to help SEAL that point?

You won't likely get all of it, but cleaning up the exposed areas with a cotton swab and a solvent has to be better than not doing anything about it.

Not something to lose sleep over, I spose...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!