Getting old girl started

Got questions? We got answers....
staxbrix

Getting old girl started

Post by staxbrix »

I got compression of 150, spark and fuel is running. Where do I look next?

88 kdx 200

Its been sitting since december. I tried to start it a few weeks ago and came back and cleaned the carb yesterday(didnt clean the jets) and put in new plugs.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is your plug wet?

Clean jets with guitar strings.... you DO play guitar....right! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

no the plug looked good but It was the first thing I like to rule out. I like the Guitar strings idea a good alternative to compressed air.

I should check the tank, when i cleaned the carb the fluid was rusty brown colored. But no bits just color, wait its a plastic tank cant be metal. Just bad gas right?

I probaly shouldnt have mixed the drop of old gas with the new. But I thought a little wouldnt hurt. Any chance it did?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My point is... the plug should be wet... or else the jets are plugged.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

soak carb 30 minutes in Berryman's carb dip, be sure to remove all the plastic and rubber bits first
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

Well I dumped the old gas put in maybe a half gallon and she roared first kick. Since I didnt have enough gas i went and bought another gallon and half but I think i might of mixed it too rich. Cuz I cant adjust the idle it just doesnt make a difference wether the air screw is all the way in or out. It dies when I put the gas on. But will idle with the gas off. Could this be flooding, too rich mixture or possible carb problems.

Its starts first kick no matter what I switch the idle too.
91kdx200

Post by 91kdx200 »

Your float level could be too high. This sometimes causes it to idle rough or die even if it isn't peeing out of the overflow.
1991 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Clogged passage, or needle/seat problem. $$$ on pilot jet curcuit clogging. Wibs has good solution. That $20 can will do LOTS of stuff for ya. You ruled out Inda's 1st check, which is a good thing, otherwise you could be scuffing your cyl. Another is what I do, and just break carb down, blast passages w/ brake clean, and air hose out. Nothing beats the soak treatment followed by 120PSI though.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project