Bark Busters

Got questions? We got answers....
jswag

Bark Busters

Post by jswag »

Im putting some handguards on some stock handlebars and there seems to be an insert in the bars on the ends..is there an easy way to remove this.Im on a 2004 kdx 200.PLease help before i drill!!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Don't waste you time...get yourself an after market set of bars.
I tried to modify the stock bars it is not worth it. I wasted time and money. learn from others mistakes namely mine :wink:
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

You need to remove the insert. You can remove the insert with a hacksaw by cutting the bars a little on each ends...You can also buy some new bars to install some hanguards too :grin:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I like KDXQUEBEC'S suggestion- Saw of the bar ends BUT.......
I would use a pipe cutter then pull the inserts out now that I know
what a PITA it is drilling.
Been there done that and it worked but took forever drilling.
jbroom

Post by jbroom »

i have a slightly different problem... i think

i'm switching bars (from TAG X5s to Renthal), and can't get my barends out that my barkbusters screw into. how do i get them outa there???
Jon
KDX220, dr350 dual sport
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

jswag: Consider leaving the OEM stuff in there..get the proper screw/bolt to FIT both your guards and the threads in the bar.

Cutting 'em out/off isn't a bad idea. I'm just sayin' it's not the only choice. Drilling them out is tough. Done a lot of drilling through weld? It's tough stuff! Besides, it will be at the outside edge of your bit, which will generally just bind.

Try it with a real drill..like a Milwaukee..and you might break your arm.

jbroom:

Assuming you have the slip-joint type of barends..try loosening the screw a 'good bit'..enough such that the screw/bolt has as much thread sticking out as you can get AND still have a good bite on the inner slip piece. Then..tap on the screw/bolt to dislodge the inner piece. You will be forcing the presently jammed pieces apart.

Uh...this is NOT the time to pry/pound/jerk/yank/slidehammer the screw/bolt. THAT will likely only make the fit tighter.

There are other types of ends..but most of 'em are the 'slip' type.

If you can't get them out...just get new ones. The piece pictured is from Enduro Engineering They are for aluminum bars.

A btw...but for steel bars:

Those from RM.

BOTH pics and links via ADVrider. Made it a bit simpler to put together.....a bit less looking around for information.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Having been down this road before, I would never even consider doing battle with the stock bars again. For one thing they aren't worth it anyway, as they are only marginally stronger than Honda stock bars, which have to be made of a special alloy composed of mild lead and silly putty. The strongest part of the Kawy bars are those confounded slugs in the ends.

Do yourself a huge favor and just buy some decent bars like Renthals or similar.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The Renthals that Mike suggest are pretty much legendary, mine certainly have taken a pretty good hammering . . .

if you must go low cost here's an option, the "reviews" make it sound OK and I've read somewhere that they're pretty good:

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/productD ... lyId=12330
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I too agree with aftermarket bars, but if ya cant spare the cash, cut the ends off, just inside the insert. Hacksaw, cutting wheel, pipe cutter, or what I used on a buddys bike, a recipricating saw. Works great, if you have a steady hand!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's not like it matters if the end is a bit crooked anyway. Practice on the LH side first. Better to have a 'well seasoned expert' on the throttle side... :wink:

Consider the source

jswag

Post by jswag »

thanks for all the info.Too broke to buy new bars..are there threads in the hole in the insert like canyoncarver suggest..
swest

just did this:

Post by swest »

I ground the welds off the bar end plugs with a cheapo grinder, then pounded the plug further into the bar. Unfortunately, i bought the hand guards used, and they came with the aluminum bar end mounts. With a bit of creative (stupid) shimming, i was able to keep everything together, but it certainly lacks the strength of a proper installation. This is the ghetto solution, but at least it was a step in the right direction to protect my hands and my bike. When my new (used) aluminum bars come in, I believe the mount should be correct.

Ideally, you could tap the bar end plug as is and bolt directly to that. That sounds like the best idea out there.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm:

An error on my part, methinks. I indicated the plug was threaded..and it's not, as I recall. The idea is certainly not 'up to snuff' as far as being a proper installation. The metal of the plug isn't thick enough to get you threads enough to make it very secure.

A self-tapping machine screw would work. Again..not offered as the primo way to bolt things up..but it might work for the short term.

CM is right:
...they aren't worth it anyway, as they are only marginally stronger than Honda stock bars, which have to be made of a special alloy composed of mild lead and silly putty.
I do question the silly putty part of that, though. They aren't that strong.

If you never crash, never fall over, never hit anything with your bars, they will be fine. Otherwise? They're worthless.

Consider the source