Foot pegs

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:Whew!! And it was ME that was going to order those a few weeks back!!

Glad I had more common sense than that!
:cry: MOM! HE'S BEIN' MEAN TO ME!!!!

I don't think that wrapping a set of bassett hound-eared pegs is the ticket.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
MX500

Post by MX500 »

I had a set of IMS pegs on my WR400 and they were GREAT. Much better quality than the OEM pegs, and were sharp enough to do noticeable damage to the soles of my boots after 1 day of riding. I only weighed 160 at the time and its not as if I stop on my pegs for fun, the IMS pegs were VERY sharp. I would give the IMS pegs a perfect 10/10 rating for quality and function.

I don't know about those Ebay pegs, brace them with some 1/16" steel around the edge and it might help them survive better, the material looks a bit thin.
ogri

Post by ogri »

>|QBB<[/url]
johnkdx220 wrote:
Has anyone used or have knowledge of these foot pegs?

Yes. they are absolute crap! Here is what you can expect if you drop you bike ! They don't come with the springs and you have to use and modify the stock ones. As they say: Pay cheap, pay twice!

Resell them!
[/quote]

john,was that just the result of a normal "off" or did you hit a rock?
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

That was the result of dropping the bike at very low speed (1st gear stuff) on a rock.

I did six full seasons with the stock pegs and crashed TOO often. The stock pegs never bent like this.

Did I say this product is CRAP! They are made from Jello and, I should add: are slippery.
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
plb

Post by plb »

IMS is the BEST.

Awesome strenght, grip and look!

100% tested and approved.

Me and my friends LOVE IT!!!!
maicocpa

Post by maicocpa »

I've been running the $20 pegs I got off eBay for a few months with no problems. I have dropped the bike on rocks a few times but they haven't bent like JohnKDX's did. They grip just like the IMS pegs on my MX bike.

They are probably just mild steel but you could get 4-5 sets for what the IMS pegs cost. The paint was worn off after the first ride (looks like Krylon in a can was used to paint them) so I blasted and powder coated them with my home PC kit. The powder coat gets scuffed up but at least it doesn't flake off.
2006 KDX 200, Bunch o' Maicos, Bunch o' kids' bikes
maicocpa

Post by maicocpa »

I need to add that the stock springs need to be used. The end of the spring that fits through the hole in the peg needs to be modified by cutting off the barb in order to work.
2006 KDX 200, Bunch o' Maicos, Bunch o' kids' bikes
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've heard the likes of what MX500 said before regarding the IMS pegs...they eat boot soles. I'm not interested in that. I've have my Tech8's resoled something like four times as it is...I don't need another sole eater on my bike.

Consider the source

ogri

Post by ogri »

>|<>QBB<
maicocpa wrote:I need to add that the stock springs need to be used. The end of the spring that fits through the hole in the peg needs to be modified by cutting off the barb in order to work.

are the pegs a good fit with regards to the pins.and do they sit slightly up at the ends?if you see what i mean.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The pegs are a good fit with regards to the pins. They are not 'slightly up at the ends'. They are perpendicular to the frame..horizontal to the ground.

The problem with the springs as stated is true. The aftermarket pegs are thicker at the place the spring tang fits. So....the bent end of the tang (the 'barb' as mentioned above) will not fit through the peg to be held in place against the inside of the peg.

I thought of drilling a hole in the new peg that would fit the angled spring tang, opted to simply straighten it so it fit in the new 'too long' hole. That worked fine. 'Straighten' meaning I put it in a vise and gave it a squeeze.

I only have the LH peg on at this time. The RH spring was already broken, and that was my 'spare' I used a few months back. I have three LH springs...nada RH springs. I've ordered three RH springs..haven't come in yet. I am assuming the RH spring will require similar modification.

I'll take a pic if you like. Let me know.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How do you think they will hold up?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

They don't look to be dainty compared to the OEM pegs..but looks and metal toughness don't go together.

I noticed they go 'tink' if you thump 'em..as opposed to a dull 'thunk'. That should be a good indication of metal strength. Right?

Oh goody. I gots 'tinky' footpegs!

I did notice the improvement in peg position. I was concerned that the flop-ear of the OEM pegs might be partly the peg..partly the frame. But it is the peg that's deformed. That seems a tad odd. I don't stand on 'em much..the KDX is a bit too wide for my comfort (the exc sure was a natural stander).

anywhooo.....

You can check'm out when we meet up for the Idaho ride!! :wink:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Tink is good! Hardened.

Idaho? I thought you lived in Organ?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I do live in (say it with me) ORR-REE-GUN. Well, The State of Jefferson anyway.

There's a spudhead ride goin' on next month. Guided courtesy of no1clyde, the TT guy.

Some ski-something or other dood is threatening to show up. Time will tell 'bout that.

It's only 1824.73 miles from Indy!! (sez MapQuest..and they're NEVER wrong!!)

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Planning the trek for next year... as far as that ski guy.... I heard you should beat his ass if you see him... he's trouble!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'll be on the lookout!! I'll be in 'autopummel' mode! :kick:

RE: 'I heard you should beat his ass if you see him..'

For free? Why? I mean...make him PAY for it like he USually does!! I could use a few $$, but I don't need 'em THAT bad!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:50 am Aug 01 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

ogri

Post by ogri »

thanks for the info CC.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I WILL be in Idaho riding with no1clyde, AKA Ed from TT. I rode 2 days with him in Nevada. No finer mechanic or rider. This will be an epic ride. Anyone who doesn't make it but had the opportunity will regret it!!
End of August; 19-26 or somewhere around there. I'm gonna probably take a couple weeks off, tour, visit, ride, visit, etc... around Idaho and Organ. Ha! :rolleyes:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RH peg installed using new OEM spring. Didn't go as slick as the LH peg; took a little persuasion and (maybe) some cussin'..but it fit.

I straightened the tang on the peg side of the spring same as the LH side.

The RH peg does have a close touch to an already modified KX brake lever I use. That shouldn't be an issue with an OEM brake lever setup.

Riding tomorrow. I'll let everyone that is sitting on the edge of their particular seats in anticipation of reading about the $25 peg adventure..know how it goes!

...I can't wait........as I'm sure likewise can't you!!

:shock:

BTW...I notice in the above pic that the spring is not installed correctly..looks to be a LH spring on a RH peg. Correctly installed, the spring wraps on peg movement. It does not UNwrap as in the above pic.

Uh...there IS a left and right to the springs. That's a given.......right?

Left?

:neutral:

I recall a thread quite some time back...somebody was having trouble putting their peg springs back on, having taken them off for frame painting or something. It didn't occur to me until quite some time later that maybe he had the springs on the wrong sides...swapped.

Consider the source