Got questions? We got answers....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

R.I.P. Red Fender

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Fire Season is here

The woods are closed

And what was once a sweet lil single track trail, we called Red Fender, is gone for good :cry:

Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 10:47 pm Jul 17 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Did you at least go and fetch the fender out of there?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Why is it gone for good? Was it made into a fire break/road?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Do you not see the photo?!? Looks like a D8 CAT took the trail up the hill.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Yeah, that trail is toast.
A few rainstorms and it will be a muddy groove.

Somebody took a Bobcat in to a section of trails near my house to "improve" it. Once that topsoil layer is disturbed it is all over. A little rain+ couple of riders=muddy ribbon.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

It looks like 2 way traffic on it now. What did it look like before, still seems a decent trail to me. That looks like most of the trails around here.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

At best it is a quad trail. And then it'll be a really dangerous place to be.

Bummer. Really pretty landscape.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

When the state enlarged our new riding area they puposely made the trails too narrow for quads to get into, including narrow gated entrances.

Ski,
Yes I saw the carnage, but hard to tell how far into the trail that carnage went...sad indeed. Now even the guys with auto-clutches can ride it.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Now even the guys with auto-clutches can ride it.
:lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It wasn't very long in the first place...maybe 1/2 mile. It was in some nice woods, not real steep but fun 2nd gear stuff with a good lot of roots and a corner or two that were a bit tricky if you didn't know them.

Biggest best part was the dirt. Meaning...it actually WAS dirt. Not clay. Not shale. Not gravel. DIRT!

The top was in the trees..sometimes in the clouds. A junction of other good places to go, and a good way to lose a lot of road on the way back from riding in a nearby drainage.

It was fun. One of my favorites anyway.

Funny how the woods can be closed to OHVs, but they can use cats, harvesters, graders, and whatever else all damn day. Wibby said they were mucking around 'til at least 1700 yesterday.

yeah. real funny.

Just called state forestry. They are the ones here that determine fire levels, access and restrictions. There is no connection between OHV restrictions and IFP (industial fire precautions) levels. It's not like, 'OHV access is good until IFP level III.

Gripes my butt that I can't ride a forestry approved arrested vehicle in the woods, but they can used monster equipment to rip the snot out of it.

BTW...I don't have anything against logging. Not at all. What I DO have a gripe about is the damage that often comes with it. But it doesn't HAVE to!.

As recently as last month I rode past miles of a logging operation. The only way you could tell it had happened was by seeing the stumps! No piles of slash, no ripped up hillsides, no MESS! I know it can be done. Might be more complicated for the logging outfit, but...so what?

Oh well......

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:When the state enlarged our new riding area they puposely made the trails too narrow for quads to get into, including narrow gated entrances.

Ski,
Yes I saw the carnage, but hard to tell how far into the trail that carnage went...sad indeed. Now even the guys with auto-clutches can ride it.
Ohhhhh!!!!! Someday there pal, you and me. on the trail. no holds barred!! Ha!!

BTW when you're ready for som REAL riding, let me know. I've got some special trails to take you on. Don't worry, I never leave anyone out in the woods. Everyone makes it home.
Jerry

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Everyone makes it home
Some earlier than others maybe? :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some riders get flats on purpose just to get out of riding! It's not the trials that bring that about...so it must be the company!

:shock:

Seriously...riding with ski is a treat! One hilarious moment after the other.
some guy wrote:HELP! I've fallen and can't get out from under my bike!!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

HEY KAWAGUMBY ..........i think all that cala-forno sand went to head if you think you can out ride an autoclutch in the nasty stuff ....why don't you and POKY load that bike up and come over to PA and i'll show ya some real riding........ :cool:
JUST RIDE !!!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Truth is, the trails around here now totally suck. The best are recently closed (Clear Creek BLM land), and most of the rest are so over-used by well-dressed posers on shiney new bikes that most technical sections are filled with square-edged holes and ruts. Pathetic. I'm just glad I got a couple of decades of sweet riding in before things (including me) turned sour. :?

I see the wonderful trails you guys ride up north and wonder how much longer you will enjoy them before someone or time itself jerks you around too. Closures started here when the riders become too numerous.

But I get it... auto crutches are good. OK. Hmmph.

Don't get too excited Ski, there are days now when a one-legged barby doll could outride me. Last week I hit a bump, farted, and grew yet another hemorrhoid. But, by GAWD, as long as I'm still breath'n and still have some hair down there (the top is all gone), I will not carry a cell phone nor will I install anything "auto" on my mount!!!!!

Pennsylvania? Isn't that some burb of New York City? :mrgreen:

Oh, and btw, that would be "Pokey" not "Poky". Show some respect. :wink:
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

HA,HA ....
JUST RIDE !!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Even in the middle of the day, very little sun broke through the canopy

Sadly these are the only pics I can find.

They were taken at the top.

A place where bodies and bikes, once were rested, cloves were smoked, Listerene was sipped and stories were told...

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
radonc73 wrote:It looks like 2 way traffic on it now. What did it look like before, still seems a decent trail to me. That looks like most of the trails around here.

Decent?

Decent enough to ride my 550lb Beast on

Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 10:49 pm Jul 17 2008, edited 1 time in total.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I walked up to the spot where they've stopped logging this afternoon

Still some purdy stuff up there but who knows what it'll look like by the time fireseason ends??

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Found something a little disturbing 40yards from the base of our trail called "Smoke a Clove"

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))