Got some new bars -- got some new questions

Got questions? We got answers....
jbroom

Got some new bars -- got some new questions

Post by jbroom »

Hi guys,

my bike feels pretty good sitting and standing in a neutral position, but the relationship between pegs-knees-handlebars feels cramped and awkward when standing leaned forward in a typical aggressive stance. looks like the bar clamps are already turned around so that the bar sits a little forward of center.

its got some tag bars on it now (dunno what they are), and i ordered some yz80 renthal bars on the recommendation from a TT thread. my tag bars are still on the bike, so its hard to tell, but it looks like these bars are maybe 1/2" taller than what i have, and a little more narrow. hard to tell if the sweep is much different, but i think the new ones are a little straighter.

is this going to make enough of a difference? maybe the new bars plus rotating them foward a bit with do the trick? i did some searches and people recommended renthal high bends and pro taper high bends, but they're never listed like that. how do you know what any of the bends are when they're all called the "ricky carmical bend" or something???

i got them from rocky mountain, so i'm sure a return would be a PITA. maybe i'll use them and pick up some bar risers too?
Jon
KDX220, dr350 dual sport
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A RC bend is specific. So is CR high. Although I'm sure there are differences between one brand of RC bend bars and another, there shouldn't be.

RM used to have a bar bend chart in their catalog? Got one? They used to send one with every order (kind'a griped me when I ordered some grips and a CSS..and the catalog weighed more'n everything I ordered). I haven't looked to see if it's in the new catalog. That chart used to list OEM bend numbers too, so you could get an idea of how a choice of another bend would stack up to your preferences.

Here's some info from Renthal (via the noted addy):

There's some general info that may help you choose..or at the least compare. Measuring bars is kind of a pain. I've never been any good at it. The 'explanation' of it all in the above pic leaves a bit to be desired, 'eh? :wink:

Certainly the one that can determine what fits you best is you. Someone of the same height, inseam, weight, and arm length may like a completely different bar than you.

Now there's a statement right out of the Mr. Obvious handbook!

I thought RM returns were pretty straightforward. Always better to get an order right the first time. Sometimes that just don't happen.

Good luck!

FWIW..don't click on the 'close window' radio button in the pic, 'eh?

Damn, I'm humorass.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Here's something to consider, made a very big difference for my kiddo on his RM and they would fit your bike as well

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/productD ... lyId=12976
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!