Eastwood Powder Coater

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Eastwood Powder Coater

Post by jc7622 »

Does anyone have one of these or know anyone who has one?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... itemID=458

http://www.eastwoodco.com/videoplayer/v ... flash.html

I was wondering if they really work. There is a video in the second link.
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

If you are referring to the original Hotcoat gun. I have one and have done a lot of coating with it. Yes they work. No they don't work like an expensive professional gun. It really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you just want to occasionally do some parts and play around with it as a hobby, they can be adequate. If you plan on doing large, or complex parts it will be a challenge. Before going in either direction do some study on powders, faraday cage effect, etc....and you will be less frustrated when you start trying to use it. One big difference if you plan to do much coating is the amount of powder you will use. The better guns usually have a stronger charge, so the powder is pulled to the work piece better resulting in less powder waste. Where with the cheaper guns you have more powder that doesn't adhere to the work piece so it is waste unless you can reclaim it.

Also consider the cost of supplies, high heat masking tape, cups, plugs, powder, masks, stripper, media blasting, etc... Many people buy a $100 gun and don't realize they will spend $100s more in supplies if they do many parts. My point is, if you just need a few parts done sometimes it is cheaper and better to take them to a professional shop. If you want to tinker, or a hobby it is pretty interesting but makes a huge mess. I have a spray booth with exhaust fan and it still makes a huge mess. Some powders are finer that others and therefore make a bigger mess. If you are patient you can produce some great results with a cheap gun. I have done some parts for very nice show cars and a lot of drag cars as well as some bikes, but don't think every part will come out perfect.

I do not recommend Eastwood powders, I have had much better results with powders from other places. Personally I get most of mine from Columbia Coatings. After I used some of theirs, I discarded most of the Eastwood powder I had on hand.

Hope this helps
Dewey
02 -KDX220
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Yeah, the hotcoat guns was the one I was talking about. I would be using it to just do some parts now and then - dirt bike frames, etc. I guess I would also have to build an oven that could hold a bike frame.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Powder coating a chassis is a good way to anneal it. Guess on a beefy dirt bike frame it's probably not that big of a deal, but I've certainely shyed away from it on kart frames where the flex of the frame is basically your suspention. Epoxy paint is good stuff.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project