motul 800 or golden spectro???

Got questions? We got answers....
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

motul 800 or golden spectro???

Post by treelimb »

Disclaimer: I attempted a search but computer illiteracy prevented me from a happy ending--

Ok I have been using motul 800.bought the bike from a guy that was using golden spectro a year ago or so. Got to thinking the motul 800 is a bit pricey what w/hi test gas priced as it is and all. I think i was getting at least 10 gallons of mix from a container of motul @40:1.maybe a bit more.
golden spectro scares me to death to run it at 50:1 per fredette website(1 bottle =5 gallons I think is how he phrased it).So I usually mix a 4.5 gallon +/- per bottle of golden.
I have now thought about my outlay of cash regarding both and think my better deal is motul 800.
Regardless of my zero mathematical skills,which is the better oil reckon?
my bike thus far:
1997 KDX200-
-complete BOY RAD VALVE;
-PC PIPE/304 end and sometimes an FMF TC II in between repacking;
I am VERY CLOSE to sending my head to MR.BLACK to follow w/carb mod soon after.Really wanting to do both @ same time but that is another story--
ANY reply will be greatly appreciated and seriously taken into consideration.
FYI-(1) Golden Spectro @ $6.99 YEAH that is high &i have to buy from local honda idiots
(1) motul 800 @ $13-14.00 depending on mood of local KAW shop at time PLUS they really give me nice % off all my orders and parts and have known owner for 30 years so i like to deal w/him;
ALL ELSE would have to be ordered as far as i know unless i use KAW regualr old premix,which i just did,but can't recall the price because i have had it awhile and stocked up on it for my 1987 KDX200 which I need to start but again that is another story.
thanks in advance
treelimb
NE Alabama-like no other
ps-local kaw has motul 600,all the castrols and etc.except the amzoil
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I can't quite figure out what you are asking. At the risk of starting a flamin'"which oil is better" discussion, I got to say either of your choices are fine.
I, and this is just me, use Golden Spectro at 4 gallons premium with 12 OZ oil. 42:1? I don't care. Works fine.

I bet your favorite Kawi shop will get you GP if you ask nice, even in the half gallon container which you can use to refill all those old 12 OZ containers you got laying around. I would not do the 4.X +/- thing, I would do the 4 something and stay consistent. One less thing to wonder about while riding around.

Now, just to get the "which oil is better" discussion going, I once picked up a bike cheap that the PO had run without oil. It was siezed. I can now say, from personal experience and without a bit of doubt, that IF YOU DON'T USE GP MIXED AT 42:1 YOU WILL SIEZE YOUR ENGINE.

hAH, SO THERE
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
DeSoto Flyer

Post by DeSoto Flyer »

I use Motul 800 at 50:1 with Shell premium gas. Bought the kdx new March of '07. I ride about 3 -4 hours a week. Starts first kick hot or cold. Runs great. Changed the spark plug once in the last year, and that was just for fun. It was very clean. Put the old spark plug in my boat, it works fine, too. Get a few spoo droplets on the rear fender. Opened the kips cover and it was not dirty enough to bother with cleaning. Of course, these facts may have nothing to do with the oil whatsoever. Just some observations....., but I'm sticking with Motul
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

OK karlP.I can see why can't you figure out what I am asking as i am guilty of TMI. First NO,my local KAw says they can't order Golden Spectro.NO idea why-
i am seeking advise between the 2 oils I have listed i think,especially after I get the RB mods.It appears as if you are a Golden Spectro man.

Desoto Flyer-thanks as well. I have been using motul 8oo almost entirely since i bought the bike. IT DOES burn clean as all get out.BUT it was also clean when i put in its very first piston & rings on a ten year old bike a month after i bought it from original owner and he was also a Golden Spectro man.Low hour bike i guess when i bought it. The local KAW suggested motul 800. I guess I am hung up on the high cost of it.don't know yet.
I am not attempting an oil debate that runs one end of the spectrum to the other although if one has been done,can someone link me up? I could not find it on here.
thanks for the input thus far.
treelimb
NE Alabama-like no other
KDXPhoneDude

Post by KDXPhoneDude »

i am changing from motul 800 because it costs me $19.00/ liter (i guess Liters is all you can get)
It's ok. the PO of my bike used it.
i am considering the Kaw brand because i can get it from my local dealer, and its a lot cheaper.
I am also looking at the Amsoil that is featured on this web site.
Gotta find something right away as my bike is almost empty.
I used to use Golden Spectro in my old 78 IT 175 that I had in the early 90's and it worked great.
just my two cents
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

There are other good choices like Mobil 2-cycle oil from autozone, or Amsoil is excellent. To simply answer your question Sprctro sucks, and motul is good stuff.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project