xr springs

Got questions? We got answers....
ogri

xr springs

Post by ogri »

sorry to bring this up again fellas,you must be sick of seeing that thread title but i have one query regarding the springs.i have ordered xr springs from my local honda dealer and they should be with me soon.after ordering them i remembered that the srings in my old xr were narrower at the bottom(the manual advises tapered end at the bottom of leg)and became a little concerned that they may not seat in the kdx leg properly.i know many members here have done the mod and wondered if your xr springs were tapered and if it had any impact on the swap.haven't seen it mentioned so presumably it nothing to worry about.just like a little re-assurance because if they don't fit i'm stuck with them.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I took the springs out of my '97 XR400 and stuck 'em in my '02 KDX220. I didn't notice any taper and had no trouble putting them in. I then bought '00 XR400 springs for the XR. There was a rate change from '97 to '00; I think the '00 are a bit stiffer. I liked the '97 springs in the KDX just fine. (170 lb, 5'11")
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

In our '99 XR the springs are revalved with shorter spings and a spacer added to the bottom. I personally hate them but Matt likes them. Of course there's about a 4" height and 50 lb. difference between us. :wink:

Good luck!
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

2002 KDX 220-LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :supz:
My Gallery—Clicky!