The Inconvenience of Race Gas . . .

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Inconvenience of Race Gas . . .

Post by Jeb »

. . . has got me thinkin' of alternatives. Not for day-in, day-out purposes, but for events like the Hatfield and McCoy trip we're making next month.

I've got the race-gas version of Ron's mods which requires at least some race gas. I presently run a 2:1 mix (Renegade 110 : premium pump) which gives me somewhere's around 105 octane or so. Fine and dandy for the vast majority of the riding we do . . . but when we go on that trip next month, I'll run into a situation where I can get the premium pump (at a town 35 miles away from the original destination) but not necessarily the race gas. Meaning that I risk running out of fuel for a round trip - or I run gas that isn't suited for the engine work.

So here's my alternatives as I see it (suggest others if they come to mind, maybe you've had a similar problem):

1. Start out with 100% race gas. When I top off my tank in the town away from home base I'll still have something like a 1/2 tank or so and end up with a 50/50 mix which should be fine. I'm wondering about how performance might change.
2. Buy a larger tank. I like the Clarke tank at 3.6 gal or so but I'm not crazy about the looks of the IMS (yes, I CAN be vain). $200 (unless someone's got one for sale - but still not cheap). I'd probably be OK for mileage on this tank.
3. Buy one of the smaller tanks that fits in place of the front number plate. Cheaper at about $70 and it'll hold almost a gallon. I could fill it with race gas and mix with premium pump.
4. Carry a relatively small quantity of octane booster and "enhance" the premium pump when necessary. Here's what Klotz offers, and less than a quart would be good for up to 2 gallons of the premium pump:

. . . and the description . . . Klotz® HiTRATE® Racing Gasoline Concentrate is designed for use in all racing engine applications. Klotz® racing technology converts hi-test pump gasoline into High Octane Racing Gasoline . . . Mix at a ratio of 9:1 with 93 Octane Pump Gasoline to make 103-105 High Octane Racing Gasoline (final octane rating will depend on the quality of your pump gas)

There's one more option and that is to bolt on a stock head I have tucked away . . . NOT!! That's my biggest problem - I'm unwilling to give up the performance the head offers.

Your tips, suggestions, wisecracks, and wisdom are all appreciated . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
september9

Post by september9 »

My friend that I ride with has a CR250 and he swears by the octane booster. He doesn't have any head work, but he swears that he can feel a difference with increased power with it versus the power with out it. I can't tell the difference myself, so I am not sure how well it would work for you.
1998 KDX 200
- 2000 KX 125 front end.
- Bills Pipe
- RB Head and Carb !!!
1987 Husqvarna 430XC
- Up-Tite Pipe
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

http://www.platypushydration.com/produc ... ?ProdID=36

These Platypus water bladders are pretty tough. You could put some of that octane booster in one of them and put it in your backpack (assuming you wear one). I am going to get a small one to stash in my pack as an emergency fuel transfer container so that I can drain fuel from one tank and pour it into another one if someone runs out of gas.

I use them for camping. You can buy them almost anywhere they sell camping gear.

In regards to option #3, I saw a guy at the Red Bull Last Man Standing with one of those front tanks.
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

Jeb,
I appreciate your dilema, but your not getting the premium head back, so stop hinting. :lol:

Seriously, you might check into Cal Products Rocket Fuel, it is a octane boost that comes in 1 oz tubes. It states a tube per 2-6 gallons of gasoline. Rocky Mountain sells it. I can't recommend it, I have just seen it advertised. If I was going to try it, I would do it at home and take a chance on ruining what should be a great trip.

On the other hand you could just carry a small amount of the other stuff, since it will only take a small amount for a bike tank.

I like the Clarke tank and have thought about getting one, but the IMS is just butt ugly, I don't care how much gas it holds.
Dewey
02 -KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'd go w/ the Klotz. Your other method will provide inconsistent jetting. FYI, that stuff is probably just tolulene.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:I'd go w/ the Klotz. Your other method will provide inconsistent jetting. FYI, that stuff is probably just tolulene.

At this point I'm thinking likewise - both about using it and the toluene suspicion. There's a comment on the tech sheet that claims that it "adds lubricity" so I'm thinkin' maybe it's got something like some kerosene in it as well. I state this not because I know better but because I can remember that Ron Black suggested a race gas home brew that included lots of toluene but with some kerosene to reduce the "washing" effect of the toluene.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!