Too much spoo!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

Too much spoo!!!

Post by SteveWR450f »

RB modded carb and head. Run premium pump gas. 40:1 with Maxima Castor 927 premix. Used that oil for over a year. Heard all the good things about amsoil so I switched premix this spring. 2nd tank of amsoil premix and problems started.

Engine acting really rich. Fouling plugs after about 5 minutes. Oil dripping out of the pipe like Exxon Valdez. Backfiring.

My guess is that the castor oil really gummed things up and now the amsoil with its detergents is cleaning things up so it should get better.

Was thinking of dumping some of my gas and mixing 50-50 with race gas (with premix). Maybe cleaning the carb/drain float bowl.

Any suggestions??? I realize when changing from different brands of premix this happens but is there anyway I could have avoided once I decided to switch to Amsoil. Anything I can do now?
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
MX500

Post by MX500 »

927 doesnt mix well with other oils. The same thing happened to my CR500, clean out your carb and it should help. I bet it's full of castor oil.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Usually spoo is caused by the engine combustion not getting hot enough to fully vaporize the mix. Fuel that isn't vapor, no matter how small the droplet is, won't ignite. That's why some folks will find their plug reads lean and yet still get lots of spooge.

Sometimes folks will polish their ports and that causes some problems. Rough ports on the intake cause the mix to sweril more and vaporize more completely. Smooth ports don't allow this to happen.

When I switched from Maxima SuperM to Amsoil, my spooge decreased quite a bit. I think it has a lower flash point, but can't be sure of that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I strangely think the KDX spoos considerable more than other bikes. I used various oils and jets and mix ratios during the time I had the KDX, and it would always spoo down the silencer after a few hours. I get the RM and throw some "close enough" jets in there, mix 40:1 AMSoil Dominator and I have had zero spoo. None at all. No fiddling with this or that, just riding, and I'm riding tight ST and lugging the motor in 1-3rd gear.

Lots of guys who know 100x more than me about tuning bikes have struggled with spoo. The KDX just spoos a lot, IMO of course.
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

I can fully understand your frustration... :evil: This is the result of a 12.2 mile ride yesterday.

Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Geez paceyman! What a mess! You could sell that by the barrel, you could retire early! Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine used to look a lot like those pics, until I went to amsoil at 50:1, I've ince found an Autozone still stocking Mobil1 MX2T, so I'm back to running that at the moment

My bike barely smokes and has very little drippage now
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

50:1? That doesn't sound like much oil in there, but isn't that what Amsoil recommends for Interceptor anyway? Maybe I should try that since spoo has always been a problem for me too...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Steve, which amsoil are you using? I'm betting you've diagnosed it already....You engine is purging iteself of the mess maxima left behind. That's my only explination since it appears you know what you're doing jetting-wise.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I'm running Amsoil at 36:1 (in four different bikes) and have very little spoo.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Also, clean air filter?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Steve,

Between my self, my brother and a riding buddy, we all have KDX's all run Redline at 50:1 and have no spooge. My brother has run it for 2 years now and did a tear down of his top-end this past winter and absolutely no problems, everything within specs. Our buddy has been running the same on his KDX for nearly ten years, and has done 1 top-end during that period. Expensive, but worth it IMO.
'
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Currently running Amsoil Interceptor. 40-1 with premium pump gas.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Same here. I have less spoo with Amsoil than I did with Maxima K2 but I still have quite a bit. Maybe it's time to repack the S/A and try 50:1...Not sure where I would get Redline locally.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
ChiroKDX

Post by ChiroKDX »

My bike was doing that last year because the bearings in the bottom end needed replaced. Hopefully that is not the case with yours but just something to consider if changing oils or ratios doesn't help.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I will cross my fingers about the bottom end thing but good to know.

Thanks everyone, Steve
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Same here. I have less spoo with Amsoil than I did with Maxima K2 but I still have quite a bit. Maybe it's time to repack the S/A and try 50:1...Not sure where I would get Redline locally.
Didn't you like the K2? I really liked it, just as much as Amsoil, but Amsoil is cheaper.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
firffighter wrote:Steve,

Between my self, my brother and a riding buddy, we all have KDX's all run Redline at 50:1 and have no spooge. My brother has run it for 2 years now and did a tear down of his top-end this past winter and absolutely no problems, everything within specs. Our buddy has been running the same on his KDX for nearly ten years, and has done 1 top-end during that period. Expensive, but worth it IMO.
Redline??

Wait til Mr Black tells ya his take on that stuff! :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Alright, give it to me straight, what are Ron's thoughts on Redline?
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's a dirty sport... KDX's spoo... I have reduced the amount but has always done it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "