Teraflex? Best knobbie DOT tires?

Got questions? We got answers....
MX500

Teraflex? Best knobbie DOT tires?

Post by MX500 »

Has anyone on here tried to fit a teraflex onto their KDX200? I know it sounds like overkill, but I need a DOT tire that will actually hook up. I used a type II 150/90-18 teraflex (the older steel belted version) on my fully built WR420 (big bore, ported, port matched everything, home made "power now" etc...). I had great results with that tire, I did a more than one tire smoking burnout and rode the piss out of it for about 5 months and barely wore it below the grooves on the center tread.

I was thinking of either the Type I or Type II teraflex, preferably the type II if it can fit.

What is the best DOT front tire you would reccomend? This will be used for commuting about 10 miles to work, but also needs to have the best offroad traction available from any DOT knobbie.

Should I just run a 756 front and the rear of my choice and hope the CHP doesn't decide to check my tires for a DOT stamp?
MX500

Post by MX500 »

I was also thinking that I may have seen a DOT trials tire in my rockymountain catalog before. Would those be decent on the street? my only experience with a trials tire was on a CR500, so traction was non-existant on the street above half throttle.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Try a kenda 760 trakmaster,110/100-18.it is a 6 ply tire that is very reasonably priced.I actually have had better than decent service out of a couple.It is listed as DOT although I do not ride roads w/them only hard packed dirt roads,loose gravel roads,and NE alabama trails which are fairly diverse and made by the dope growers w/their 4wd huge atvs.the trails will wear a man out.almost every tire i have tried as well.2 months is great for me and rear tires. That is the reason I tend to stick w/6 ply of anything.well the nails and whatevers to keep me from riding where i do (deterrants I guess) versus 6 ply w/THICK MOOSE tubes seem to be the ticket anyway.
good luck w/the KDX.
treelimb
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

+1 on the Kendas...

>|<>QBB<
treelimb wrote:Try a kenda 760 trakmaster,110/100-18.it is a 6 ply tire that is very reasonably priced.I actually have had better than decent service out of a couple.It is listed as DOT although I do not ride roads w/them only hard packed dirt roads,loose gravel roads,and NE alabama trails which are fairly diverse and made by the dope growers w/their 4wd huge atvs.the trails will wear a man out.almost every tire i have tried as well.2 months is great for me and rear tires. That is the reason I tend to stick w/6 ply of anything.well the nails and whatevers to keep me from riding where i do (deterrants I guess) versus 6 ply w/THICK MOOSE tubes seem to be the ticket anyway.
good luck w/the KDX.
treelimb
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
hi_im_sean

Post by hi_im_sean »

pirelli scorpion pro in the front, the kendas, dunlop 606's, the smaller teralex would all be good for the rear i would think, youll notice the extra weight of some of those tires though
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

scorpion pro is good front

Kendas wear like iron but kinda stink for traction off road

And the carcass tends to weaout and get soft way before the knobs start wearing much

If I had an 18" rim on my DR I would not even bother with DOT tires, I'd just run the best knobbies for my riding area, like an M5B or a 952
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

Michelin S-12's work really well in soft woods and mud conditions. They clean out well and really hook up. In Ohio we just have to have deal with tread depth for street legality.
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230