Motorcycle insurance?

Got questions? We got answers....
MX500

Motorcycle insurance?

Post by MX500 »

For those of you with street bikes, which insurance provider was the cheapest? My KDX is plated and I need to insure it so I can get it on the road.

I got a quote from progressive for ~$120 for a year.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Try Geico, for an 08 KLR650 full coverage, I pay about the same.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
MX500

Post by MX500 »

I've had a bad experience with geico. One of their clients T-boned my 240sx when I was driving straight down the road and they refused to pay me, claiming the accident was my fault.

Not bad for their client, but I refuse to give them my money.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Progressive has the cheapest and should be able to get you for their minimum of $75. Well, that is if you don't have any driving record and aren't too young... Try asking them for a lower quote. It can't hurt. In the meantime, check your homeowner's policy and see what's covered too. My policy won't cover anything that is registered with the DMV and needs it's own coverage.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Geico quoted my $75 for my street-legal KDX220R. I went with my insurance (Farmers insurance) and got it for $62 for liability only.
MX500

Post by MX500 »

Yeah, I have 3 points on my lisence and I'm a bit on the younger side of the age spectrum. That makes sense for the higher quote I received. It's still a load better than the 120 a month for my mid-grade liability only auto insurance...
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

i got full coverage on my 06' kdx and my two 08'honda ex 250s from progressive for $250.00 per yr......i checked with my writer for home owners ins and they said !!! NO OHV is covered under a home owner policy !!! :naughty:

hey ski....when you had your little problem,did your home owners cover your bikes ?? :hmm:
JUST RIDE !!!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

No. They told me that if the vehicle was DMV registrable, then it needed it's own policy. I didn't have a separate policy for my dirt bikes and only had liability on the street bike.

However, if the vehicle was used for any farming type work, like a quad runner used to haul hay for cattle, then it would be covered.

The motorcycle parts were covered though. All my spare parts as well as the stock parts I took off. Someone being "creative" could easily state that they had a spare motor, wheels, shock, forks, frame, seat, tank, bars, controls, plastics and claim more than the value of a whole motorcycle. I didn't need to be creative since I maxed out the limit on my policy with ease anyway.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!