1986 KDX Street legal/ high speed trail modifications?

Got questions? We got answers....
MX500

1986 KDX Street legal/ high speed trail modifications?

Post by MX500 »

I was wondering where to start modifying my KDX200, or rather how to start.

My initial impression of the bike is that its light, easily thrown around, and has a very tractable powerband (VERY similer to the 1990-2001 CR500 to those of you who care to know). The suspension needs work though and the rear drum isn't quite up to par.

The forks are too soft at the speeds I like to ride at, and tend to sack out and ride too low in the stroke. It could be partially because the schrader valves to add compressed air are damaged and will not allow a good enough seal to add air.

What years KX forks/triple clamps will bolt on?

Also, What carburetors do you guys reccoment for these bikes? The PWK/airstriker seemed to be the hot setup for the CR500 I rode last. Which size would you reccomend for a stockish (not for long) engine that is possibly overbored to a 240 (too much power for a 200 IMO, it's much faster than the last KDX200 I rode). I was thinking either 36 or 38mm PWK? What other carbs would be a decent upgrade for my KDX?

Seat- This seat is too soft, are there any MX subframes that will bolt onto the KDX frame with minor fabrication and allow the use of a flatter and firmer seat? If not, where can I buy a gripper seat cover?

Tires!!!
I was thinking of running the 110/100-18 TereFlex Type 1 for a rear (normal looking, similar to 756 only with DOT stamp)

What front would you reccomend? It would preferably be DOT legal since this is a dual sport bike, but not a requirement as long as it will grip decently on the street.

I was thinking of possibly running a set of trials tires (DOT legal!), but I have no experience with a trials front and the rear I used seemed to like to lock up a bit easier than a knobby.

Pipe- Does anyone have experience with the FMF gold series (fatty?) for this year KDX? I like the tractable low end power, but the bike doesnt have much of a hit (makes it easier to ride without breaking traction, but not as fun as a CR500...).

Porting- Has anyone on here ported their own cylinder? I'm too broke to pay someone to do it, and I've ported 4-stroke heads with great results.

I made a WR400 into a WR420+porting and it was much faster than a YZ490, and would roast a 150/90-18 Tereflex type II in 5th gear, damn near anywhere.

Any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Where do you guys oder OEM parts? Are there any discount websites? I need a petcock and both airboots (or just the one going to the reed valve if a K&N filter will fit on the carb and clear the shock).