Delta Force III - INSTALLED AND RUNNING!!

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jeb wrote:Who knows what I might try next.
Yeah. Who knows!! :hmm:

...mebbe a 200!!!

Ha! Sometimes I kill myself!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Good for you!

After all of the hype, I finally ordered a VF3 and bolted it onto my KDX200 last week and have two short rides using it. I am not impressed thus far. I certainly have not had $142 worth of grins added to my riding because of it.

50:1, M=152, P=42, needle stock in mid clip position. I guess my jetting still isn't good enough.
That's got to be disappointing and I hope you can try some tuning or consider other mods. Carvr mentioned the needle; what other mods do you have? If you have the stock needle I'm assuming that you do NOT have the carb/head mods? I can't claim this with absolute certainty, but I'm becoming a firm believer that the right kinds of mods build on each other, i.e. the improvement a Vforce bolted onto a stock bike will not be as noticeable as one bolted onto a heavily modified bike.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

The only mod I don't have is the RB carb mod. I think I have all the rest covered.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I would honestely go for the RB'd carb before the reed cage, but you've already got one. I've ridden an E model w/ the DFII, and there was definitely a difference in the low end response....Maybe you just have some more tuning to do.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Before making a final judgement, make sure you put them in right. I do believe they can be installed upside down. I think CC did that and found a difference in performance level.

Also, really give it a good ride. Where you SHOULD notice the reed difference is;
1. Ease of starting hot or cold.
2. Tractor like grunt up long and steep hills; where you would normally need to downshift, just let it go and see if she doesn't just continue to climb up the grade.
3. spooge might be decreased. Fresh reeds keep that back pressure from going back into the air filter and causing a too-rich condition. You notice this when you pull the air filter and the tube leading to the carb is all oily with 2 stroke oil instead of dry.

Did you gasket both sides of the cage? I use a little form-a-gasket non-hardening formulat to make sure I don't get an air leak.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks for the help!!!

If I put the cage in upside down, wouldn't the carb port be pointed the wrong way, making installation impossible?

I did put gaskets on both sides of the cage.

I have a group ride scheduled for this Sunday afternoon. We'll see if I notice a difference.

I have been talking with a guy about buying his '06 250XCW (with soft seat foam) for three days now. While researching that model on KTMTalk I found that many people don't like the power of that bike and they end up rejetting and...sending their carb to RB Designs!! Small world after all...

As best as I can tell the RB carb mod is the LAST mod I can make. I plan to ship my carb to Ron this coming Monday and see how things feel after that. After five years I'm just tired of fiddling with this bike.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

When installing the reed cage it can fit in right side up or upside down. There's no indication you have it wrong either. It will go in either way.

Where's carvr? I thought there was a thread on this already.

Why the KTM250? Not that I know of any reason not to own one other than the people I've met on them seem to think they are all that and a bucket of chicken. I went to a KX250 and found the transition from a KDX to be almost seamless. It was just a step up from my souped up KDX220. A pretty big step, but still, it was not the beast I expected it to be. Very manageable. There's hardly any major differences in a KX from a KDX. Kawasaki is a Kawasaki afterall. It's the same company and they use the same engineering in each pretty much. If you did your work on the KDX you will not be lost on the KX.
Jetting is optimized using the Kawasaki jets from various years and not aftermarket stuff. I find the jetting very forgiving; a little too rich mellows the bike out and a little too lean causes some surging. Pretty easy to tell when you are right on. The power jet on the carb used to adjust fuel based on RPM and throttle position does a great job of filling the gaps.

Take the time to read up on ThumperTalk's Kawasaki 2 stroke thread and see what owners have to say about their KX250's for woods riding.

I really want to emphasize that I am not dissing the KDX. It's a fine woods bike. I just enjoy the extra power of the KX and the fact that it's just about set to ride as-is. I don't have the time or the inclination to custom build another KDX and the KX works just fine for me. For the recreational trail rider who enjoys touring the woods, sticking to the KDX is the ticket. If you constantly are challenged or find yourself wanting to challenge other riders, then the KX is the way to go. I like to push and I push hard. Well, local riding anyways. When I'm in Oregon, I enjoy the rides in undiscovered territory. Probably a KDX would be better for me there, but I make do with what I got for the majority of my riding.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Everything you said seems very well-put Skipro. I can see eventually moving into a 250 or 300 as well and I also foresee a not-so-big-jump-after-all when I make the move. Right now I've got a lot to learn and the 220's doing well teaching me.

Every time I've done a search to learn more about possibilities with mods, etc, I'm reminded of just how fortunate we that are new to the KDXs are to have this much info and opinions about these things. I'm very grateful for you guys that have "been there done that". While it does take some tuning and time to figure out what works best for each of us (different conditions, riding styles, etc), much and often most of the work is already done. :grin:

BTW - I pondered on how the cage could be installed upside down (having read about it somewhere) and before installation I turned, measured, angled, held up to the light, compared bolt hole patters, and couldn't see where one side might be upside down. I ended up with the logo on the choke-side of the carb. I'd actually be thrilled to find out I have it in wrong and there's more to be gained . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Get her dialed in Jeb, one more week to go.
What are you burning for race fuel ?
I have never rode with anyone with the 220.
Will be interesting on the match up.
I waiting for a new MC5 rear tire to come in and
I'm good to go.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

One of my riding buddies just got a new KTM300. At the last cross country race I was on him like white on rice the whole time. Every time he made a little mistake I came zipping past on my KDX and put distance between us in the woods. See ya! The only way he could catch me was in the MX section (I hate jumping). By the end of the 1.5 hour race he beat me by only 5 seconds. Yeah, I got my $2300 worth. :mrgreen: I'm not sure what those fancy pants orange bikes cost, but I'm pretty sure they are more than $2300.

There was also a big grass track section. In the beginning he was pulling me on the straights, but not by much at all. With a few mods I probably could have hung right with him. By the end of the race I was pulling him on the grassy straights. After the race I asked him why he wasn't going as fast on the straights the last couple laps. He said that the headshake was so bad that he was too scared to open it up all the way. I don't think I have ever experienced any headshake on my trusty KDX. All of my KTM riding buddies say they get massive headshake (unless they use a steering damper).
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Main difference in the KX or KTM compared to the KDX is in stock form; suspension and horse power mostly. If a KDX is modded with these things, then it starts to get a little more like a horse race. Frame strength and flex, wheel base length, peg/seat/bar placement..... I feel that these last items only come into play when you are pushing the bike's design and the rider's skill.
Jerry

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:Get her dialed in Jeb, one more week to go.
What are you burning for race fuel ?
I have never rode with anyone with the 220.
Will be interesting on the match up.
I waiting for a new MC5 rear tire to come in and
I'm good to go.
She's ready to roll, brother! Currently the weather supposed to be treating us right, we'll see.

I'll be bringing Renegade 112 as well as some Klotz HiTrate. The HiTrate is a concentrate that I'll be bringing along when we refuel in Mann. I'll have enough of each if you want to sample. We oughta talk about logistics; maybe we can "stash" some race gas for the both of us in Mann somewhere - I'll call you this week.

Yes, it will be interesting to compare bike performances, especially given the fact both of ours are modified similarly

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

From Gilbert to Mann by road takes about 30-40 minutes.
Through the trails could take 1- 1.5 hours depending on what trail
you take. I generally burn a little over a gallon getting there.
We could park a refueling vehicle at the Rockhouse Trail Head
(Mann) or carry a gallon container in at Gilbert at stash it in the
trail a couple miles in.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:From Gilbert to Mann by road takes about 30-40 minutes.
Through the trails could take 1- 1.5 hours depending on what trail
you take. I generally burn a little over a gallon getting there.
We could park a refueling vehicle at the Rockhouse Trail Head
(Mann) or carry a gallon container in at Gilbert at stash it in the
trail a couple miles in.
Or maybe talk to one of the gas stations in Mann and ask them to stash the race gas, meaning we'd be back to spend money at their store.

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

There is one closed down Marathon and a Speedway.
Think I may find a 1 gallon can before I head south
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

All I need for the 250, is sum 92/93 octane! I'm ready!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Prob w/ the KX is the CR trans, but the auto-clutch seems to turn that into something quite useable for people used to a WR trans...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
green_passion
Supporting Member

Post by green_passion »

Jeb-

Where did you purchase your reed cage from? I melted my stock one and I need to get a new one. :cry:
Thanks!!
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress; no matter how slow." - Plato

2002 KDX 220-LONG LIVE THE KING!!! :supz:
My Gallery—Clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
green_passion wrote:Jeb-

Where did you purchase your reed cage from? I melted my stock one and I need to get a new one. :cry:
Thanks!!
Got it off of Ebay . . . here's another, less than $120 total including shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VFORCE-V ... enameZWDVW

So how in the blazes did you melt it? (no pun intended)

CLICK FOR PICS!