Foam in coolant & clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
bodine465

Foam in coolant & clutch

Post by bodine465 »

Picked up a 90 KDX200 off a guy for $460 because it had white oil foam in the coolant system. Assumed it was probably a blown head gasket, which was no big deal since I planned on rebuilding the top end anyways. Once I got to pulling it apart, I didn't notice any obvious leak marks in the head gasket or metal surfaces. The foam was throughout the coolant passages. I then noticed that the "oil" in the clutch oil level window was the same color. Pulled the plug and out flowed a creme colored, foam like fluid. Strange thing is, it was a consistent texture, with no oil/water separation. I'm assuming it wasn't some special fluid blend.

What I'm wondering is where the leak could have come from. Since the only area that I can see that the coolant & clutch oil could come in contact would be at the water pump, would those fluids mix if the impeller seal was bad? Am I missing something else?

I'm assuming I'll have to pull the engine cover to replace the seal. How involved is is, and can it be done without pulling the engine?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Waterpump seal needs replaced... really really easy fix!

Just pull the side cover after carefully disconnecting the KIPS arm.

****CAUTION!**** LEFT HAND THREADS ON THE NUT AND THE ROD HAS TO BE SUPPORTED!!!!

Please purchase a manual, either soft cover or electronically though this link http://www.cyclepedia.com/amember/go.php?r=57&i=l8
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bodine465

Post by bodine465 »

Is this a common problem and should I look for a cause of the failure, such as a worn bearing, or is it just a normal wear & tear thing? Will I have to pull the clutch to remove the housing? Finally, I'm seeing different descriptions of "complete" engine gasket kits. Some of the higher priced (Moose) gaskets sets specifically mention seals included, while the lower priced kits mention "rubber grommets". Are these true seals, including the waterpump seal, or just o-ring style grommets?

I do have the manual. It's just kinda spread out on it's instructions.

Thanks...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just replaced my sister-in-laws waterpump seals for her (2 piece set) and only used the seals. Tolerances are so tight that only some RTV was used to reassemble. No leaks.

Don't try to make it too complicated, Just order parts

1690-001 $4.45
1691-001 $8.78

It is very common... especially for a 28 year old bike!!!!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bodine465

Post by bodine465 »

I BEG YOUR PARDON!!! She's only an 18 year old bike. (She's sensitive about her age) :lol:

Gonna go out an tear it apart now. Thanks again.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Oops.. miscalculation! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here is something that may throw you...

The 90 KDX had one seal... they switched to two in 91. I think due to this issue. Order the two and the issue should go away. I don't know what your manual shows but if yours is truely a 90.. then there will be only one in there.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bodine465

Post by bodine465 »

Would the opening in the 90 accept the two seals for the 91? That would be sweet if it will. You know how it is whenever something breaks on a machine. You're constantly waiting and listening for it to go bad again. Twin seals would make me feel a lot more confident.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Fits right in there.... perfect replacement.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****