Steahly FWW

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steahly FWW

Post by bradf »

For those that run this, I have had to tighten the set screws after each ride. There will always be at least 2 that are loose. Not always the same ones either. I have numbered them to verify which are coming loose. The instructions says not to use thread locker. I am tightening as tight as I think is needed. How tight are you going or do you use blue Loctite?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've checked mine a couple of times, maybe every 5th ride and have never found them to be loose. Now you have me worried. I can't see the harm of using blue loctite if you are going to check them each ride. Or maybe pin a thread over a bit so it fitment is snug.

Off to the garage now!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Ski, I checked mine as advised after the first ride, 2 were loose. I checked again after the next ride, one was loose, then it was 3 then 2 and so on. I don't know why Steahly doesn't want thread lock on these. Or is it just the main threads? I am going to use some blue on them anyways. The problem is the little allen bolts don't come out.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

if you do it right the first time theres no problem. medium loctite the screws tighten ride
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

mine have never come loose, can't remember if i used loctite, think i did, but my mind has been affected by chemicals since then :partyman: they have all remained tight though
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I checked mine after the first few rides. Never were loose, so I quit checking them.

Didn't use any thread locking agent.

If you do, there's a real good chance you won't get'em loose. Flywheels are expensive!! You don't want to mess one up.

When I got mine, Chuck Steahly made note of the instructions, 'NO LOCTITE' He thinks it's important, anyway.

How tight? Never checked it with a torque-o-meter. You know the 'feel' you get when things are tight enough (some do, some don't)? Mine are a tad tighter than that.

Oh, and I've had mine off/on a bunch of times. What with lighting coils and timing changes and such. I'm not saying I put it on once and forgot about it.

Guess I should check mine....thanks for the reminder!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!