my new trail tech kickstand.....

Got questions? We got answers....
rdsrf

Post by rdsrf »

I'd kinda forgotten about this thread/mod but I'm still really interested in doing it.

I can't really tell from the picks too well....Is the kickstand bracket lower than the level of the skid plate/frame?

If so, any trouble sliding over logs or rocks?

Thanks in adavnce!
meterpig

Post by meterpig »

Where did that cover come from? I don't have that on my bike.
2003 KDX220
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

its AM !!!!
JUST RIDE !!!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Nicely done! I m ight have to get one for my 200
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

>|<>QBB<
rick albert wrote:its AM !!!!
rick, where did you get the shoulder washer/bushing that you are using in the subframe. I bought the kickstand and that is the last thing I need. I looked in mcmaster carr, but they only have ones made out of plastic or nylon, not metal.
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

Lowes;.......in there special hardware section !!!!!!!
JUST RIDE !!!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I looked there this morning and couldn't find anything like that. However I got a M6x1.00-30mm, a lock nut, a fender washer, and a 3/8" OD (the bolt that comes out is 9.8mm and 3/8" is 9.5mm) steel spacer/sleeve. So I think it will be similar to your setup. The only difference the fender washer isn't attached to the spacer/sleeve, but that shouldn't matter.
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

you don't need the fender washer all you need is the sleeve;i just used the shoulder washer for the sleeve; just because it was the correct size and it would stay in the hole and not push though . put some pics up when your done........ :wink:
JUST RIDE !!!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Ok, I got it installed. The only problem I have is that the kickstand seems too long. If I put the kickstand down the bike is 100% vertical. Does anyone know if the bottom end can be removed from the kickstand, then saw a little off the black part of the kickstand tube and then put the end back in?
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

i don't see why not its just a alum tube w/ a plastic plug,but mine worked out to be the right height.......when my bike is on the kickstand it sets on about 20deg angle !!!! :hmm:
JUST RIDE !!!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Wow, your bike must be much taller than mine. I don't think mine has been lowered or anything. I am going to try to remove the plug and cut the tube 1" or so tonight.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What size tire are you using?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rick albert

Post by rick albert »

my bike sets a little higher than most KDXs due to the KX front end and the trials tire i run (trials tires have a tall side wall than most knobby tires).
JUST RIDE !!!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:What size tire are you using?
110/100 rear. 80/100 front
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Tire height and rear suspension preload has allot to do with the height of your bike. Mine sits high...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
swatts

Post by swatts »

Rick,
Thanks for showing how to do this, I can only guess how you figured it out. Did this to my bike, and am quite happy with the results. It does sit more vertical than before, but is way better than having nothing. The stock kick stand on the swingarm was just a bad idea, I've filled those stripped holes with JB weld.
So thanks again for showing how to get this part on.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

To anyone that has done this mod: how is it holding up? I've read some reviews of the stand/mounting bracket bending and some reports of it rubbing on the swingarm. Any issues to date?

Thanks
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I've added one. They are too long the way they come. Bike will stand straight up.

The shaft is solid aluminum except for the last inch or so. I had to cut the end off, drill a hole, tap threads and locktite in a bolt with a new little plate. See pics. Now it has a good lean.

It was frustrating getting it how I wanted it but now that it's there I guess I don't mind. No more flippity floppity of the old kickstand.

This one stays in place nice. I don't know about the strength of it and standing on stand while kicking. It would probably hold ok but I'd rather not stress the stand that much.

Oooooops, disregard the rust. I guess I put it up wet :(

2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I've been riding DS a lo this summer. Man.....looking at my KDX makes want to get back in the Woods!!!! I friggin love that bike :)
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Thanks for the review; I was wondering about the lean angle. Well my stand is still working fine so I'll probably wait. Thanks!