How do you easily tell if the KIPS is working?

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

How do you easily tell if the KIPS is working?

Post by Colorado Mike »

Okay, I've been searching around without finding a good answer to this. Is there an easy way to tell if the KIPS valves are operating correctly? I mean without tearing down the motor. There is a circular cover on the left side with what looks like a coin slot in it. In looking at the manual, I would think that I can take that off, then rev the motor and see if it rotates. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CM... that would work. Best way is seat of pants! Usually if you have to ask...something is amis...
When I got my 95...it wasn't working til I tore it down and cleaned the KIPS...then, WOW... you can really tell when it kicks in.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Yeah, I just don't feel a big hit. But I am running a woods pipe. I usually don't ride in wide open areas , but last Friday went out to a MX track and played around. I was sporting around with two buds of mine one ona KX 250 and the other on a modded XR650R. Both of these bikes have every reason to flatten me LOL. I just thought I should feel something at the top. I could keep them in sight by short shifting. I'll check the operation of the KIPS and if that's ok, I guess I better order up a rev pipe :roll: .
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I run a Rev...and I like it much better than a woods pipe and I ride all conditions...sometime you just want to ride WFO!

Last time I went riding... I didn't have any problems keeping up with a new CR125 but I don't know about a KX250.
The Rev still works well in the woods... but that is more the bike than the pipe.
I would still check the KIPS like you said....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Shouldn't it be the right side cover to come off, checking for rod actuation at 6,000 RPM??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You could check either side... I think the way CM wants to do it would be easier... besides you don't run a risk of having to replace a gasket.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

If the one on the left moves I don't see why it would be necessary to take the one on the right off.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's one shaft... Of course if it is bound up...the right side would tell you where... actuating shaft or valves....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, thanks.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

keeping up with a cr125 in the woods hahahahahahahahaahahhaahahahahahhaah
u should smoke a 125 in the woods inda if you are a good rider you will stay close or in front of a 250 in the woods (single track)
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wasn't in the woods... well.. it was but wide open area...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

im curious how are the woods up where u are. put some pics in the gallery
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is a few in there... river bottoms. I normally don't worry about seeing how fast I can go.. if I can beat a bike etc... But this guy roosted me and took off. I caught up, passed and roosted him...Ah...that was a great day! BTW...this was Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky/Tennessee that this happened. Most woods in Illinois is tight single track....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

when u guys talk about single track do u mean trails where u can just get your bars between the trees? my bars are 29 3/4 and i do have to do the bar shuffle to get thru some trails here. yes i have cut 3/4 off both sides.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

We run about 29" usually... Yep...single track means only one bike can get through ... no passing lane. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah! I am wondering how others define it. I have thought it means not wide enough for a four wheel ATV.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

200 or 220? Yeah...I guess I could go find out..but I don't wanna.

Comparing the hit of any 200 to any 220 isn't of much use.

Looking at the RH mechanism will tell you that the actuator is working, but not the KIPS parts in the cylinder.

Looking at the LH mechanism will tell you if the actuator is working and if the main shaft is OK, but not the actual valves.

If you know the actutor is OK (can see it work from the LH side), you still should take the pipe off, look up inside the exhaust port to make sure the subport drums are rotating and the main valve flap is working. You can manually activate the KIPS via the nut under the LH cover while you're looking up the exhaust port.

'Round here, single track means only a bike is going to make it. Sometimes not even a bike. Sure...parts of 'single tracks' you could run a quad for a bit if you flew it in to the starting point. Some trails commonly called 'single track' can be negotiated by a good quad rider...they are 48" wide.

But...JUST because it's 48" wide doesn't mean it's going to be a breeze on a 4-wheeler. Ha! You sit yourself on a quad (any of your choice) and I'll be glad to take you on all sorts of 'quadable' (48") tracks that you won't ever come out from...or die trying!

While we run into a few bar knockers (a good 1/2-dozen yesterday) around here on 'single track', it's not often that close. Much more of a problem having trees blocking the trail (wind fall). We cut several of them out of the way yesterday, too.

Most riders think their riding area is 'special' I suppose. Me, too! Any of you guys that want a guided tour of some of the tracks 'round here...c'mon down! If you don't think, 'Wow!' at the end of the day, I'll double your your money back!! :wink:

Timber Mtn. HS this coming weekend!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

it's a 220. Wondering how the shaft could turn without turning the valves unless the things are stripped? So if I take the pipe off to actually look up the exhaust port to watch the valves, is it necesary to disconnect the actuation linkage on the right side of the motor before turning the shaft in the cylinder? Seems Like it would be easy to bend the actuation shaft that goes down into the crankcase on the right side if you don't, but maybe it will move without being damaged.

Thanks for your patience,
Mike

'04 KDX220
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I had the kips stop working and the problem was that the little allen head screw that connects the main valve to the shaft came out. The shaft would still turn and the sub-valves would open but the main valves stayed shut.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Note Moto's post. In his case, looking at the activation rod on the RH side wouldn't tell you what was going on...neither would looking/activating the KIPS from the LH side. Thus the 'Look into it' point of view.

Re: It's a 220.

You will get a whole lot less hit with a 220 than a 200. Also, the pipe of choice of most 220 riders is the rev pipe. The 220 doesn't generally need much help on the bottom end of things..and all the help it can get on the top. Nothing wrong with the torque pipe on a 220 if that's your choice of power band enhancement. But...if you're looking for more top-end on your 220, the torque pipe isn't the correct choice.

Re: 'Wondering how the shaft could turn without turning the valves unless the things are stripped?'

Well...if things are stripped it could. :wink: Common on some earlier ('pre '95) KDX models.

re: 'is it necesary to disconnect the actuation linkage on the right side of the motor before turning the shaft in the cylinder?'

Nope. Activate it via the nut under the LH slotted cover.

re: 'Seems Like it would be easy to bend the actuation shaft that goes down into the crankcase on the right side if you don't..'

Don't know about 'easy' but certainly possible. You are activating it 'backwards' if you will (using the acted upon to make the activator move), but by just a hair more force than the spring that holds the thing 'shut'. If you attack it with a 12" handled 3/4" drive tool..well that's problematic.

If you use just enough force to move it..don't force it past where it wants to stop...you can do it all day long with no negative consequences.

You can get an idea of how dirty the KIPS is, too. The KIPS should return to an 'at rest' position when you let tension off the nut. It won't !s-n-a-p! back with a lot force, but it should move relatively freely. If it moves like it's stuck in cold molasses...that's 'cuz it is. Probably time for a cleaning.

BTW...if this bike wasn't purchased new by you (second or other owner) check not only for movement of the subport drums, but that they are timed correctly. They CAN be put in wrong. The main exhaust is 'open' more when the KIPS is activated. When DEactivated, the subport drums will 'close', directing exhaust gasses to the Helmholtz Resonator. That's the cavity underneath the cover on the LH side that says 'KIPS' on it.

BTW#2: You may notice that it takes a bit more force to GET the KIPS moving than it does to KEEP it moving. There is a spring loaded detent on the outer collar on the LH side. Look at the bottom of the cylinder at the collar and you will see the bolt that squeezes the detent check ball/spring in place.

A common thing to do...take that out. It lets the KIPS 'come on' just a tad sooner. Of course, the whole engine should work as a 'tuned' device. One thing usually works in conjunction with at least several others. FRP sends his ported cylinders back with the spring out.

You might give that a shot. If you don't like it..just put the parts back in!

Whew...is he done, yet???

.......... :roll:

Hey! I talk overlong like this in real life, too!! Count your blessings!! (You don't have to LISTEN!!)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!