Auto clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yea, Inda. I agree it's pretty funny. But there are several guys here who post over there.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

A bit of jealousy, eh Vince? :)

Great place IMO, some cool mods too, ones that are actually knowledgeable, AHEM....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

See ya! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
MX500

Post by MX500 »

Sounds good skipro, I don't consider much of carnegie technical. It's mostly fireroads. I have 40 acres and "access" to the mount diablo state park. No it's not "legal" to ride there, but the land I've been on so far is owned by my neighbors :wink:

I've used an autoclutch, my foreman450ES has one, and it works fine, but if you know how to slip a clutch it works just the same with only a little more effort (and less wasted money). I've done some slow rock crawling (man-made course in my yard) with that quad and can attest the autoclutch does help in that situation, but I've done the same stuff on a CR500 without a problem.

To each his own. Auto transmissions in cars are usually faster, but I prefer manuals. Just because one technically "works better" doesn't mean it's more fun or is the better choice for everyone. An autoclutch is useless for me, because I prefer full control over everything. I wouldn't need an autoclutch for "bulldogging" the bike anywhere either because I'm 6'1" and have arms like an orangutan (probably streched out from the CR500... :grin: ).

Sorry for the hijacking. I'll try to put it something useful.

I too have heard auto clutches help on very gnarly terrain with limited traction.

Have you tried a trials tire? That might make enough of a difference to no longer want the auto clutch. It was the only tire I actually got to hook up with my CR500, it was downright scary at times. 5th gear uphill power wheelies... That bike would roast the 140/80 IRC M5B under the same conditions (5th gear, 1/3 or more throttle= WHEELSPIN!).
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The last race I was involved with had 8 riders who didn't finish due to flat tires. All the flats were trials tires. They have traction, but who wants to deal with a flat 40 miles from your truck either? Well, maybe not 40, but could be 30 or more depending.

M5B has it's place. So says me and carvr, even though that snake talked me into a dunlop before heading up to his woods and I find him with a M5B on his bike!! WTF!!??!!

Oh, MX500, look for an invite to ride some real trails soon. I think you are going to be in for a real treat!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...how's that 952 workin' for 'ya? :neutral:

Autoclutches: You can choose to like them, love them or have no clue one way or the other. While free speech is largely dead in this used-to-be country, you CAN still have an opinion....for a little while longer.

I mean...as long as your particular opinions don't include one that says you don't care to rent a place of yours to happy people. Can't have THAT now, can we!?

I kind'a missed anyone saying anything about riding as good as some thought they thought they did. I'd appreciate having that pointed out to me. What post was that, exactly?

It's when opinions are expressed that have no basis in even the glimmer of a shadow of any fact..some learnin' is attempted...and then the personal harangues start...that source is immediately discounted to something less than stellar. Somewhat lower than frog poop, even.

Anyone who wishes to can tell tall tales of autoclutched 4WD quads, and said experience can be gilded, right as rain from the author's point of view. But please! Don't expect such ballyhoo to evoke anything but a sneer if it's applied to a completely different (meaing not at all the same and unrelated) machine/sport/circumstance. That's simply silliness.

Single track??...In Central Kalifornistan?? What a guffaw that is.

This is single-track. We call it 'single' cuz there's room for only one bike..and there IS a 'track' you can SEE.

Yesterday we rode 'zero track' stuff. Stand somebody eyes-closed in front of the bikes without them knowing where they were, have them open their eyes and tell them to point out the trail...they wouldn't have the slightest idea what to point to.

We avoid huge, clapped out 'hill-climb' excitements. We know what type of riders we'll find there..and it's not a place WE wanna be. :shock:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:20 am Jun 23 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The 952 is working fine. The only limitation is slick clay uphills with ruts. Course, that could be rider induced for the limits of the tire and not the tire's fault at all.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wet clay is a problem for any tire 'ceptin maybe trelleborgs.

Although I DID have a set of studded tires on my F250 (460CID..it had a C6, too..THAT had to have been the problem), and THEY didn't work, so..there's the proof of THAT!

The M5B works better..lugs are farther apart. But...being the complete moron that I am and ass to boot, I put it on backwards..on purpose even 'cuz I liked the lug arrangement to be 'open' as opposed to the specified direction being 'closed'.

What I SHOULD'A done was put a set on the autoclutched F250. THAT would tell me everything I need to know about 'em.

Oh yeah.

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I love the D952, very good all around tire for a dunlop. Still running a 19" rear with an HD tube, ski?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yes. I LOVE that tube!! It's heavy, thick and isn't gonna puncture very easily. I recommend them. Heck, it probably adds to the FFW effect having that much mass turning for you!! Ha!!

The tire is holding up quite well. I put it on in the wet weather and by the time dry weather rolled around, it was still in decent shape. In dry weather it doesn't matter what's on the bike; anything will do the trick. So I'll change it again in the fall when it starts to rain again. With a M5B, I would be tearing knobs off in dry weather. That hard compound won't stand up to a good grip on a sharp edged rock and will tear away.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...thank me!

:wink:

I'm welcome!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'll never go back to the 952 rear, so far the M5B outshines it in every way, on the terrain we ride.

It does takse some getting used to though since you can't spin up your rpm's as easily. Sometimes I'll be bogging down too low in second and grab first and it'll continue to bog 'cuz It's too damn grippy. I have to jab my feet down to unload the tire enough to get it to spin some
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:So...thank me!

I'm welcome!
Thank you? Why? You should be thanking me over the M5B. But I'm sure you will paint the picture as you discovering the M5B without any help from me! Ha!!
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

six pack of O.S.
Would that be Obsidian Stout? That **** is GOOD.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I'm going to sing the trials tire praises once more. Rode last night in what one could only call "last man standing" type terrain. Steep beyond belief, rutted, clay, roots, rocks, wet. Just my brother and I. I run the MT16 and had 10 psi, he has a MT43 trials tire and is running 10 psi.

The trials tire had advantages in every way. We would climb then switch and in areas that I would begin to spin, his would simply grab. When I would slip into a rut or get cross-rutted, his would stay on line out of the rut and never gets cross-rutted. I could conquer things that I couldnt get up or over before. The difference is big. My MT43 is on order.

He has run his this year in 2 events where we saw many flats from others. One was a high speed crosscountry race for over 75 miles. The other was an Enduro in nasty tight woods (2nd gear stuff) over 75 miles. Besides the races he has ridden it hard in both woods and desert terrain with no flats and all he can say is it has made him a better rider and stuff he could no get through or up before, he is conquering now with no problems.

The MT43 is DOT approved which may account for no problems at high speeds. He simply runs a heavy duty tube, no baby powder and 1 rimlock. Tire pressure is important and from lots of research, he is running 10 psi in all situations. Where other get into problems is running 8 or lower on their dirtbikes. These pressures are for trials bikes.

I am completely sold on them.

BTW, he has over 300 miles on his so far this season, and virutally no wear (really), some rounding of knobs, but that is it! Price is around $60 to boot!
'
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:So...thank me!

I'm welcome!
Thank you? Why? You should be thanking me over the M5B. But I'm sure you will paint the picture as you discovering the M5B without any help from me! Ha!!
He'da never had tried one if'n it hadn't been for trying to follow me after I put one on and he was running a fairly new 952. He was having a helluva time :wink:

Next time we went riding he was sporting a new M5B
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I'll wager one six pack of O.S. and a shot of Listerene to whatever girlyboy pee water you drinking these days
Loser has to hold down a 6er of Old and Stale? I saw that on Jackass once, he couldn't do it. :partyman: Now Natural Light that is something worth winning.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm ignorant in the first position on trials tires. It is better to listen to someone who has ridden both types of tires for facts. Thanks for the report firffighter.

I don't know about the tire difference there Wib, but I do know you are a better rider than CC. He falls much more often or has to take a second stab where you clean the section in one try. You are not fast though..... but riding sweep means you get to take your time. Lead usually better be gittin' or else!!
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I'm ignorant in the first position on trials tires. It is better to listen to someone who has ridden both types of tires for facts. Thanks for the report firffighter.

I don't know about the tire difference there Wib, but I do know you are a better rider than CC. He falls much more often or has to take a second stab where you clean the section in one try. You are not fast though..... but riding sweep means you get to take your time. Lead usually better be gittin' or else!!
Better than the Carvr?? :?

Maybe luckier as of late but not better

I'm better than I used to be though

Still slow though but I donut think the ol KDX was ever designed to haul my fat ass around anyway :mrgreen:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Just seeing if anyone rises to the bait.... :butthead:
Jerry