1984 KDX200A2: best service manual?

Got questions? We got answers....
knobby_berry

1984 KDX200A2: best service manual?

Post by knobby_berry »

Hi all!

Just bought above model bike last week: seems to be in good shape for its age (160 psi compression when warm). I got it mostly to ride around my property; simplicity and low-cost/-maintenance FUN is my goal. My recollection is these bikes are good, reliable beasts.

It has the OEM pipe and spark arrestor (quiet is very important to me since I don't want to piss off the neighbors) and seems bone stock AFAICT, which is fine with me. I've put a couple of hours on it, and am pretty sure the carb needs cleaning (it's peeing out the overflow tube when stopped and sitting vertically, and runs pretty rich, especially midrange and WOT). Also probably need to clean out the spark arrestor.

Before I start opening things up even a little, I want a good service manual. This is my first Kawasaki, so not familiar with the OEM manuals. I see a few "Owner's Service Manuals" for this bike on Ebay. Is this the best manual for me? Or is there a more complete OEM service manual in addition? I assume OEM manuals are better than aftermarket (Clymers, etc.)?

Also, what are best sources of parts (and part number lookup) for an A2? (Or: are parts scarce or easy to come by?)

Finally, can the OEM spark arrester/muffler be repacked?

TIA, Cagey
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Clymer has a manual you should be able to find it on Ebay. The OEM cann't be repacked and probably weighs a ton by now. I got a DG for mine a few years ago.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Check the links on top of the page for OEM supplier, ron ayers and bike bandit.
Same for manual, you can get the online for cheap and it's pretty good.

Wilf

BTW
Welcome to the site :partyman:
knobby_berry

Post by knobby_berry »

Thanks to all for the quick replies!

Wilf: the online manual linked on this site doesn't seem to cover the 1984 KDX200. Is there an(other) online manual source you'd recommend?

Cagey
knobby_berry

Post by knobby_berry »

Just tried both Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit: neither site lists the 1984 KDX200 :cry:

Any other ideas for online parts sources?

Cagey
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

eBay is about your only hope!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
knobby_berry

Post by knobby_berry »

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/par ... asaki.aspx has parts (fiche) images for my bike, and for Kawasakis as far back as 1967. Prices seem better than at some other online sources. Whether parts are actually available from this source is a different story. Anyone have experience with this place?

Cagey