are h series kdxs better bikes than e series?

Got questions? We got answers....
tommorth

are h series kdxs better bikes than e series?

Post by tommorth »

just a bit curious whats every ones opinion on this
especialy those who have owned both
beware the mighty kdx
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

E motors are better IMO... but I like the ergo's of the H's...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I have both and Inda hit the nail on the head. Have considered trying to swap the E motor into the H.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That would be a great combo! Then put the H motor in the E and sell it... :wink:

Since you have both... how do the mounts line up? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Why bother, with the 220 you have the best of both worlds. Plus, you don't have to worry about shearing off the KIPS plastic/nylon/whatever actuator teeth on the newer model. I thought the E had non-cartridge forks too ... can't remember for sure tho.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is a serious conversation... :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

duh, give me a break, I've been roofing all day. :blink:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
tommorth

Post by tommorth »

hmm didnt realise the later models motors were different power wise
I was only meaning the 200s as there dont seem to be many 220s around here

i have a 94 200 sr with the blue usds been thinking of puting a pipe and the bigger carb on it (has a 28mm pwk its incredibly smooth down low ) but for around the same dosh i could sell it and buy a h series
beware the mighty kdx
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Buy a KX125 rolling chassis, and put that motor in it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Inda, as far as the mounts go it is close but would require some fab. I think there would be less fab than the hybrids, but sut still some work. This is the reason I have not done the swap. I keep thinking on the same lines as fuzzy. If I'm gonna swap it, why not put in in a KX roller. I think I could recoup alot of the cost of the roller by parting out what I didn't need from the E-model. What I need more than anything is more time. I haven't even had time to ride much less mess with this stuff. I tore the MCL in my left knee and it is almost ready to go. I guess I should have been wrenching during this down time. Unfortunately work kept me all to busy even with the knee injury.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Personally... I think the KX ergo's are not ideal for woods riding like I do. Wheel base, rear rims size, turning radius etc... Just me I guess. The H series seems perfect.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I've owned both a '92 200 and did typical mods (pipe, airbox lid, reeds, RB'd) sold it, regretted it, then bought a '97 220 and did the same thing.

The RB'd '92 200 was a nice power delivery. Smooth and crisp throughout. It could really rip when you gave her throttle.

The RB'd '97 220 has more torque and can be ran a gear higher with ease. It does not have as much of the snap as the 200 did.

Both were very nice. I have my '97 setup far from stock in regards to ergos with Guts tall seat, Clarke tank, Renthal tall bars, and IMS pegs. This setup gives it a much more aggressive feeling and standing is very comfortable. The '92 had Renthal CR high bars and IMS pegs. It too was comfy, but more of a sit down scoot.

I miss that 200 in a lot of ways because the looks on faces when passing Orange bike on a aqua blue and hot pink bike is priceless.

BTW, what parts are interchangeable between the 2? I've got my spare seat that a guy wants for his '92. Will it work?
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

No
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote: I thought the E had non-cartridge forks too ... can't remember for sure tho.

Yes they are non cartridge

And I believe they are somewhat beefier. I've never experienced any flexxing with mine. When Ski was up here he watched me as I rode and he could not see any signs of flexxing either
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What are you smoking? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Wismilaks

Want some??

Thats why I've never understood all the spaghetti fork crap
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS