Front brake hose routing

Got questions? We got answers....
trussell

Front brake hose routing

Post by trussell »

just replaced the front brake hose on my KDX, has an 02 KX 250 front end on it, I snapped the original one trying to roost a mate on a slippery creek crossing, anyway, am not sure now if the brake hose runs outside the bottom fork leg or inside it, and then up to the bars, anyone got an idea, thx in advance

Troy
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I would try to run it on the inside, basically the Honda CR style. Less exposure to snagging brush etc when running on the inside of the fork guard.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The type of brake line you got will determine where you run it.

Your brakeline was the KX style, I presume? So...you got a replacement of the same type?

I'm Australian English challenged (well, and in plenty of other ways, too), but I don't quite get what you're after.

There are clamps (in the fork guards) and depressions in the fork leg for the OEM KX routing. '..outside the bottom fork leg' ? The KX routing runs UNDER the bottom fork leg, neither outside nor inside, then straight up the fork guard to the bars.

You cannot route your brakeline the way WR suggests (hi route) with a 'long' KX style line. Well..unless you loop it a time or two.

But...saying '...the original' brakeline, I don't know if that is the KX original..or the KDX original.

Obviously the KDX original isn't going to be long enough to go anywheres close to KX routing.

The KDX line routes between the wheel and the fork leg.

Here's a pic of Jeb's bike..with the hi-routing WR refers to..on a USD fork-set.

Sorry...too many words to cover the possibilites of your situation. Any of 'em fit?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
trussell

Post by trussell »

Yeah, my question was a bit, 'how ya going', as they say in Aussie, after I posted it I saw a photo of a 2003 KX250 in a magazine I was reading, so i answered it myself. when i say original, i meant original to me, i bought the bike with the KX front end already on, so I had a line made up the same, i snapped the line up near the top banjo, after flipping the bike on a snotty creek bank, not enough grip/too much grip scenario.

Thx for your replies.

Troy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If I may be nosey...what was the name of the seller?

BTW, you can see in the pic where the bottom of the fork leg is formed to accept the brakeline..looks like a groove. Also you can see the tab on the bottom fork leg where the hose retainer bolts up. There's nothing bolted to it in the photo....

Consider the source

trussell

Post by trussell »

it was brett, he is/was a mate of KDXer, good man, I still ring him for advice, and he even helped me rebuild the top end.

I don't quite get what you mean with the groove on the fork leg, do you mean the fork guards, mine does not have the steel bracket coming off the top of the guard, the hose was cable tied to it instead

Troy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Just under the fork guard you can see a groove in the fork. Save the pic and enlarge it on your machine....That's where the brakeline goes.

In some cases, the line is directly underneath the fork leg. On Jeb's forks, it kind'a goes around.

Consider the source

trussell

Post by trussell »

just had a good look at the pic, these forks are a different year than mine, i have the four ten mm nuts on either clamp which unbolt and let the axel come out forwards, i measured the leg diameter and they are 43mm, i don't know whether this identifies a year, but i was told '02.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

43 would have to be 95 or earlier...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'02s were...uh....48mm? Yeah...I could find that out elsewhere on the site..but I doan wanna bother looking.

My 99's are 46mm..and they got bigger shortly after that.

..46mm is big enough to get in their own way.

Besides...we all know size doesn't matter. :neutral:

Consider the source