Question about reeds

Got questions? We got answers....
allinson

Question about reeds

Post by allinson »

My bike is a 2005. Do you think it is time to replace the reeds. They are stock.

Which is the best reeds to get and why?
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

I have found that the Boyesen 607 replacement reeds (around $30.00) are a very good bang for the buck.

Ron
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

other choice: DFIII or DFII, much more $ and supposedly a little better than the Boyesen 607. (but for 30 bux Boyesen, are a hell of a deal)
allinson

Post by allinson »

Are the Boyesen 607 better than stock? Should I change mine out, being three years old?

Thanks for your responses.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
allinson wrote:Are the Boyesen 607 better than stock? Should I change mine out, being three years old?

Thanks for your responses.
I read both replies above as a 'Yes.'

While I'm sure there is an 'average' reed life, that number means pretty much nothing. So...it's 0º today and 100ºs tomorrow. The average being 50º relates to which day how exactly?

It doesn't.

Reeds should be changed before they fail. You don't want your piston chewing on fiberglass, right? Chewing on carbon fiber is worse...if'n you end up with summ'a them.

That you can look at your reeds and see no apparent failure or impending doom means nothing.

'Best' is in the eye of the beholder. The Boyesen power reeds mentioned have satisfied a lot of folks, they would suit you fine.

Why are they better? Crisper response for one (now...tell me you didn't see THAT coming!). Boyesen advertises their 2-stage reeds as being one'a those better all around things..on both ends of the RPM spectrum.

I haven't priced OEM reeds in awhile..but I'd bet they cost considerably more than Boyesen 607s. Check with BikeBandit or RonAyers for current prices.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Another vote for the Boyesens. Work great and a nice little performance mod for low cost.
'
allinson

Post by allinson »

Thanks for the education and I will get some 607s installed.
allinson

Post by allinson »

I bought the Boyesen Pro Series dual stag reeds. I really like the response. Made the bike a bit more snappy. I think that I lost some on the bottom end. I seems that I have to keep er reved a bit more.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
allinson wrote:I bought the Boyesen Pro Series dual stag reeds. I really like the response. Made the bike a bit more snappy. I think that I lost some on the bottom end. I seems that I have to keep er reved a bit more.
If you're convinced that the loss of bottom is from the power reeds, try raising the needle (drop the clip) a notch or two, it might help. You've got a bit more air flow at lower throttle openings now.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
allinson

Post by allinson »

thanks