2000 KDX 200 Piston

Got questions? We got answers....
duson

2000 KDX 200 Piston

Post by duson »

My friend and I recently bought two bikes, and don't really know much about who owned them before, so we thought it would be a good idea to work on them since we don't know how long it has been since any work has been done. After pulling the head off of my bike, the top of the piston says "C00L8" (zeros not letters). Anyone know what this part number might be? Was wanting to order a new piston, and wasn't familiar with this number. Not sure if the bike had been bored out, or anything. There is a Fredette sticker on the bike, so anything's possible.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Anyone know...'

Not me.

Measure the hole to determine if it's been bored. I have some pics in my gallery of an OEM 200 intake port you can compare yours to. Should be fairly easy to tell if it's been ground on. That doesn't mean it HAS been overbored, but makes the chances better.

The OEM piston will have an alpha designation on the crown, usually an 'A', 'B', or 'C', that should match corresponding marks on the head and cylinder. Those markings are Pro-X pistons grouping by size, varying by .0004" (yes, about 1/2 of .001").

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
twostroker

Post by twostroker »

i just took apart the engine on my 92 kdx 200 to find the piston size and it has either a poorly stamped 0 or the letter C. Is that the original piston? how do i know?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's probably a 'C'. That would make it an OEM piston. Pro-X groups their pistons that way...by .01mm variance.

There should be a similar stamp on your cylinder..on the top LH corner. That's where the 'H' stamp is, anyway.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!