Gas Mileage?

Got questions? We got answers....
fLyNbYu

Gas Mileage?

Post by fLyNbYu »

Wondering what type of mileage people are getting riding in the mud. I was riding at Foresthill, CA Memorial Day weekend in the rain on Sat. Topped off the tank in the morning and rode through some serious slop and found myself switching to reserve after about 25miles. I was pretty shocked and worried since we were pretty far from camp. Maybe all the drag from the mud caking up everywhere had something to do with it. I hit the mud a handful of times and was up pretty quick and if I wasn't I turned the gas off.
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Riding singletrack on my RM250 I get 20-25mpg..... You should be getting more than 25 to a tank. What is your jetting?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Single track on my KX250 I get better than 25mpg. Rode yesterday for 50 miles and I can still see gas in my tank and it's a 2.2 gallon tank.

One way to increase fuel mileage is to set your pilot jet leaner. I have found that a lot a gas is used idling or any time the throttle is chopped; like braking or downhills.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

wonder if your needle valve is constantly leaking while ya ride
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ski, my pilot is a little on the rich side, and in these hotter june temps, it's getting a little lame at 1/4 throttle, low rpm. Time to break out the brass!
fLyNbYu

Post by fLyNbYu »

I'm running a 36 pilot and 140 main with RB head and carb mod and FMF dsert pipe w/ a FMF turbine core something and 607's with stock gearing. Maybe I'll take the carb apart and clean it out.
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

140/36 with the carb mod? And your bike hasn't siezed? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

After a 40 mile cross country race I drained my tank and measured how much fuel was left. I burned about two gallons so I was getting about 20 mpg. I'm on a KDX 200 with a rev pipe and dropped one size down on the main and pilot. Other than that the engine is stock.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Riding in mud' is a decent try at giving riding conditions, but it honestly doesn't help a whole lot. I mean..there's mud..and then there's mud.

While 'Your resuls may vary', I've gotten from less that 10mpg to close to 40mpg.

It depends.

As Inda said....140/36?

Maybe in the Andes?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fLyNbYu

Post by fLyNbYu »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:'Riding in mud' is a decent try at giving riding conditions, but it honestly doesn't help a whole lot. I mean..there's mud..and then there's mud.

While 'Your resuls may vary', I've gotten from less that 10mpg to close to 40mpg.

It depends.

As Inda said....140/36?

Maybe in the Andes?
Please do explain what kinds of different mud(s) there are.

I've been running the 140/36-38 on my 220 for about half a year now and no seizing as of yet. I did the top end a month and half ago and the cylinder looked fine. It may be lean to most of you guys, but every bike is different. I spent a lot of time running up and down my street trying to get the jetting close and those were what I ended up with.
'01 KDX 220R
'01 XR650R SuperTerd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think I had my 220 jetted with a 138 main. I was running race gas at the time.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

FWIW I'm currently running a 148/38, check out bike profile to see setup for similarities, etc.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!