something is wrong with the KDX HELPPPP!!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220rser

something is wrong with the KDX HELPPPP!!!!

Post by KDX220rser »

ok guys i need help. i just bought a 2002 KDX220r and i am having problems with it. the bike is fun and i love it, but it is lacking power big time. the guy that had it before me did not know what he had, and really did not ride or take care of it. it sat up. ok here is the prob, it is smoking way too much. a gray smoke, but alot of it, out the pipe. i was running 32:1 like it is made for, but i was having to change plugs every time i would ride, so i went to 40:1. i am still destroying plugs. so i cleaned the carb. then i realized my reserve was not working, so i took the tank off, and found a few very very large clumps of old oil in the tank. like rocks!!!! so i cleaned out the tank, and had to replace the valve. it was all messed up with old oil. ok so i did that. but it is still running bad. i mean i went ride with a YZ250 last week. i kept up with him on the trails easly, but i RAN OUT OF GAS!!! only at 35 miles. he didnt. and his tank is only 2.5 GL. i have alot of oil splashing out where the pipe and silencer meet. so i took my pipe off and cleaned out the inside. i think i am going to put on an FMF. what can i do??????? help me please i love my bike, i just want her to last!!!! sorry so long...
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

You have more cleaning to do. Your KIPS valve is probably a mess and possible stuck. Make sure you have a manual and search on this site for info on KIPS cleaning. Check you piston while you are in there. If it is stock, change it out for a Weisco.

Then, clean out your silencer. If it is a stock unit, it can be difficult to get all of the spooge out. If your are going with a FMF pipe (REV for your 220), add a silencer as well.

After that, toss your airbox lid, get some Boyesen 607 reeds, and check your jetting.

You should now have her all cleaned up and it will rip pretty good. Not up to your buddies YZ250, but it will go.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it really is not. I did all of the same in 2 days this last winter.
'
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Could be blown main seals and is sucking up tranny oil in the combustion chamber. As far as the gas goes, it sounds like you float level is set to high and gas is dripping out of your overflow tube while you are riding. Just a guess though.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

For God's sakes... jet it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

ok guys thanks. i will do. i have a manual. i will try it out and see. i hope the seal is not the oil prob, b/c i dont feel like breaking her down that much. i and ok at that kinda stuff, but i dont want to over do it. and as for the gas prob, it has been known to leak while just sitting there with the fuel on. so i will check that out. thanks again i will let ya know now it goes.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Let us know what you find out. Once you get everything ironed out you will be surprised at what the KDX can really do.
'
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Yeah, what Inda said!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'it has been known to leak while just sitting there with the fuel on.'

Common problem on a KDX...from a number of causes.

Check the float level, make sure it is AT LEAST spec. Plus a couple mm is fine.

Clean the float needle SEAT..and replace the needle if it shows ANY mark on the tip.

If you bought a brandy new KDX off the showroom floor you should take it apart (steering/suspension) and grease everything that is supposed to BE greased. In the case of an '02 bike that hasn't been taken care of I guarantee that needs to be done.

What you've got is a pile of stuff needin' done..might as well get started!!

Have fun!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

ok sorry it took so long guys, but i fixed the problem. ok first i put a full FMF and air filter on it in hopes of leaning it out a bit. it did but not much. so i looked at the clip on the needle and it was on second notch from bottom. spec should be second notch from top. so i moved it, and played with air screw and idle. bike ran like a beast!!! i never exspected it to have that kind of power. really really fun power. not scary, but fun. but i got stupid and hit the dirt doing a wheelie switching in to 6th. stupid me put dents all over in my new pipe and bent it. $300 down the drain. it ran really bad after that. so i put factory back on. and started over. she runs great now. thanks guys
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The pipe should have only been around $200. Check Monkey Butt. Pipes can be repaired too ya know. You still need to clean the KIPS if you didn't do that. If the jetting is stock, you are probably still too rich, best do a plug chop and verify.

The advice from CC about your fork oil, linkage grease is huge. It sounds like the bike's previous owner was less than competant, so most likely your bearings are toast. The stock Kawy fork oil is like pond scum, so needs to be totally flushed and replaced with quality stuff. While you're in there, put the right springs in for your weight. Many people use Honda XR400 springs which are longer, so you can get rid of the retarded Kawy preload spacers.

The warning to replace the piston with a Wiseco is not to be ignored. tons of those 220 stockers grenade. Change it, or make sure it was changed to a WISECO!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220